Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so I just got

Options
  • 18-09-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭

a butchered lamb for the freezer and it included the liver and kidneys. I don't think freezing the liver and kidneys is a good idea so I'm looking for inspiration as to how to cook them, possibly for separate meals/snacks over the weekend.

I'm a fan of keeping things simple and letting good ingredients speak for themselves.

My mum traditionally soaked liver in milk and then fried it and served it with fried eggs and possibly sauté potatoes.

Any suggestions?

Comments

a butchered lamb for the freezer and it included the liver and kidneys. I don't think freezing the liver and kidneys is a good idea so I'm looking for inspiration as to how to cook them, possibly for separate meals/snacks over the weekend.

I'm a fan of keeping things simple and letting good ingredients speak for themselves.

My mum traditionally soaked liver in milk and then fried it and served it with fried eggs and possibly sauté potatoes.

Any suggestions?

I would add fried onions. mmmmmm

As for the kidney, I usually add it to a brown beef stew and make a steak and kidney pie from it. Delicious too.

I've gotten a lamb for the freezer a few times and you know the bitty pieces? Well, I boil them for hours with onion, carrot, potato and pearl barley and leave them go cold in the stock. The next day, I get all the lean meat off, mince it and add in the onions, barely and chopped carrots and potato and make cornish pasties from it. I throw out all the solidified fat that sets on the top of the stock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not a fan of liver but my mother cooks it the old fashioned way and my husband loves it. She fries a rasher first in the pan, then adds the (milk soaked) liver, and onions, then throws some black tea over it just before serving it up. This forms a thin gravy that she calls "liver dip".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Devilled kidneys on toast is my little treat when my pescatarian missus is away. Can't really get simpler than that.
    Try adding the diced liver to a ragu, create an immense depth and richness to it

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi
    I believe the best way to serve liver is to fry it in butter until its cooked through but still slightly pink in the centre (be careful not to overcook them or they will toughen) then serve them with mashed potatoes and sauteed onions. Also you could cook it in a beef stock then let it cool completely in the stock and make a steak and kidney pie out of it. Also add in beef and oxtail soup and cook it like a stew then cover it with a layer of puff pastry and place it in a moderate oven preheated to 180 degrees gas 4 for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is piping hot and bubbling. Remove from the oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes then serve with some mashed potato and there you have it. Proper comfort food for the cold winter months perfect on a cold winters day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Devilled kidneys on toast is my little treat when my pescatarian missus is away. Can't really get simpler than that.
    Try adding the diced liver to a ragu, create an immense depth and richness to it

I 2nd the devilled kidneys. I'd devil the live too and cook it so it's slightly pink.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I'm not a fan of liver but my mother cooks it the old fashioned way and my husband loves it. She fries a rasher first in the pan, then adds the (milk soaked) liver, and onions, then throws some black tea over it just before serving it up. This forms a thin gravy that she calls "liver dip".

Thats a really interesting recipe, where did you Mam get it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If it anything like my family & many others, they are recipes handed down from generation to generation & tweaked along the way.

I make beef stew based on my Mum's recipe & I know she used my Nan's. Likewise, we all still make liver, bacon & stuffing casserole the same (OP - that may be worth considering if you still have any liver). Another Billy family recipe handed down for generations (I know my great-grandmother made it the same as I do) is mutton knuckle stew.

@Zelda - Do you have any old family lamb recipes or dishes that you would care to share with the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

don't have any really that would stand the test of time, the lamb dish I mainly do at the moment is the Fruity Tagine from the BBC website. I also do an Irish stew with diced lamb, carrot, celery, barley and garlic!... not really Irish with garlic but hey ho!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Thats a really interesting recipe, where did you Mam get it from?

As THB said it's a family recipe, my grandmother cooked it that way too. A lot of what I cook is like that, with a few alterations to suit my taste. I also try out recipes from books or online and adjust them if necessary. It's all about trial and error and finding recipes that you and your family like.

Advertisement