Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unwanted mushrooms in garden

Options
  • 18-09-2015 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I've got mushrooms growing in my garden and I'd like to stop them growing. Any ideas how to stop them?

Comments

not being funny but you could just pick them. Is there many?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

not being funny but you could just pick them. Is there many?

Quite a few in in the back garden. I'm picking them every second day to try to stop them spreading anymore. It's amazing how quickly they grow. Its my third year in the house now and I've had the mushrooms every year from end of august until November. I'd rather not have to keep picking them but its not a big deal if there's nothing to stop them. I just thought someone on here might have had a solution

Sorry that's quite a lot. I used get the odd one and picking them solved the problem. I have been reading about them.

Maybe this will help http://www.weekendgardener.net/plant-diseases/mushrooms-090809.htm
    Why Mushrooms Form

Mushrooms found in lawns often develop from buried scraps of construction lumber, dead tree roots, or other organic matter. The fungi that produce these mushrooms are beneficial because they decompose organic matter in the soil, making nutrients available to other plants.

Reduce Irrigation:

Many mushrooms are associated with over-irrigation or poor drainage, and mushrooms tend to go away as the soil dries out. So water your yard less.

Better Air Movement:

Removing excess thatch and aerating the soil to improve water penetration may help in some cases, so you may want to think about having it dethatched and aerated to allow better air movement.

Improving drainage and aeration solves a lot of other problems too like moss for example

Sorry that's quite a lot. I used get the odd one and picking them solved the problem. I have been reading about them.

Maybe this will help http://www.weekendgardener.net/plant-diseases/mushrooms-090809.htm

Improving drainage and aeration solves a lot of other problems too like moss for example

Its looking like I might have some buried wood in the garden so.

I tried spiking and lifting the ground with a digging grape last year to no avail.

I had hoped that I would have none or at least less mushrooms this year as I put in new land drainage back in June and thought this might have helped.

Looks like I'll just have to put up with them because I'm not starting digging up the garden to look for rotting wood.

Its looking like I might have some buried wood in the garden so.

I tried spiking and lifting the ground with a digging grape last year to no avail.

I had hoped that I would have none or at least less mushrooms this year as I put in new land drainage back in June and thought this might have helped.

Looks like I'll just have to put up with them because I'm not starting digging up the garden to look for rotting wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

For what it's worth , a tip from BBC Radio Sheffield gardening programme , was to sprinkle sugar on the mushrooms to make them go away.

elsie1b wrote: »
    For what it's worth , a tip from BBC Radio Sheffield gardening programme , was to sprinkle sugar on the mushrooms to make them go away.

I'll give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Have you existing mature trees in your garden, at this time of year there is a symbiotic relationship between tree roots and fungi, the fungi will disappearing and wont be a problem.
    Its nature happening , embrace it😃😃.

rje66 wrote: »
    Have you existing mature trees in your garden, at this time of year there is a symbiotic relationship between tree roots and fungi, the fungi will disappearing and wont be a problem.
    Its nature happening , embrace itðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒.

No I've no trees anywhere near the house. Nearest mature trees would be at least 100 to 200 metres away from the problem area. I can't understand why there are so many a small area of the garden. Its south facing gets the sun all day and is well drained. There must be wood buried its the only logical explanatiin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Originally Posted by elsie1b

Hmm, I prefer mine with butter and garlic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

katemarch wrote: »
    Originally Posted by elsie1b

Hmm, I prefer mine with butter and garlic.

The sugar makes them go away.
    With the garlic and butter they are put away !

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

Mushrooms like acidic soil. You could try and spread agricultural lime.

Advertisement