Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tablet power jack repair

• 18-09-2015 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Looking at a 9.7" Bauhn Android tablet belonging to a friend of mine that was bought in Aldi.

I was told the power jack was not working, so opened it up to have a look. I assumed it would just need re-soldering back on to the PCB. However, when I took it apart, I spotted that not only had the power jack come loose, it also took part of the PCB with it. I've attached some photos.

I'm guessing this motherboard is a goner as the solder pads that were lifted off were connected to extremely narrow connection tracks to other components on the circuit board.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Not really sufficient info in the pics, but it looks repairable to me.

I doubt it would be financially viable to have it commercially repaired.

Maybe it is still in warranty? Aldi purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Not really sufficient info in the pics, but it looks repairable to me.

I doubt it would be financially viable to have it commercially repaired.

Maybe it is still in warranty? Aldi purchase?

It's out of warranty. Bought over 2 years ago I think.

What more do you need to see that's not in the photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

kkelly77 wrote: »
    It's out of warranty. Bought over 2 years ago I think.

What more do you need to see that's not in the photos?

You reported
    when I took it apart, I spotted that not only had the power jack come loose, it also took part of the PCB with it.

Apparently the PCB (the structural board) is not broken that I can see from the pics, so it seems to be just the copper tracks that are broken because the connector broke off.

Also the underside of the board would need to be examined to be sure.

If all is wrong is that the tracks are broken, then there might be some means of reattaching the connector to the board and then hard wiring the broken tracks to the connector.

Without physical examination it would be difficult to tell, TBH.

Also, if the connector was broken due to misuse then any repair is unlikely to survive similar abuse.

It might be worth checking the purchase terms ...... lots of items carry a 3 year warranty these days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

You reported

Apparently the PCB (the structural board) is not broken that I can see from the pics, so it seems to be just the copper tracks that are broken because the connector broke off.

Also the underside of the board would need to be examined to be sure.

If all is wrong is that the tracks are broken, then there might be some means of reattaching the connector to the board and then hard wiring the broken tracks to the connector.

Without physical examination it would be difficult to tell, TBH.

Also, if the connector was broken due to misuse then any repair is unlikely to survive similar abuse.

It might be worth checking the purchase terms ...... lots of items carry a 3 year warranty these days ;)

I'll inspect the underside of the PCB and get some more photos.

Technically the PCB structure is intact. Only the tracks/solder pads have come off. However, due to the size of the connection tracks, it is quite difficult to see where the 5 solder points of the power jack should attach to if I use a hard wiring solution.

TBH, I only want to get power to the tablet to get the owner's photos etc off it. I doubt it will be used again.

kkelly77 wrote: »
    it is quite difficult to see where the 5 solder points of the power jack should attach to if I use a hard wiring solution.

There's only 2 lines +ive and -ive, possibly two of the solder connections aren't wired they're just mechanical holders for the port.

-ive will be common to many components. Onboard battery, polarised capacitors, USB port.

You can solder a tail to the component the power jack was feeding, just follow the trace. Conventionally those connections are centre positive but not always.

If it has a battery just use a bench power supply to power it from the battery terminals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement