Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I bother doing a new build?

Options
  • 18-09-2015 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Hey, I built my computer in 2011 with a 2500K (@4.7ghz), 560ti 448 core, 16GB ddr3

Over the years it ended up with a bunch of SSDs and HDDs and a 670

Was looking into building a new computer but really it doesnt seem like the roi on a full build would be that worthwhile with a 6600K and probably a 970

Should I bother doing a new build which would probably be a 6600K and some Z board with a 970, or should I just swap out the GPU for something newer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

New GPU would be the best upgrade, the CPU will not hold you back for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Simi

Hey, I built my computer in 2011 with a 2500K (@4.7ghz), 560ti 448 core, 16GB ddr3

Over the years it ended up with a bunch of SSDs and HDDs and a 670

Was looking into building a new computer but really it doesnt seem like the roi on a full build would be that worthwhile with a 6600K and probably a 970

Should I bother doing a new build which would probably be a 6600K and some Z board with a 970, or should I just swap out the GPU for something newer?

Swap out the GPU I'd say? No point paying the premium for being an early adopter of ddr4 or usb c etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

GTX670 will fetch €120, upgrade to GTX970 or R9 390, and you're golden for years to come. Zero need to change that 2500K.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

2500K will be remembered for a long time for being that cpu that was more than good enough for so many years.

I have mine running @ 4.5ghz rock solid for over 2 years now and no sign of it being a bottleneck yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If it were me, I'd get a new GPU and add another 16GB of RAM budget permitting.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd get a new GPU and add another 16GB of RAM budget permitting.

1322.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Yeah be an ssd before more ram for me. 8 for gaming is good enough.

Think terrors idea above, sell the 670. Get a 970 or maybe amd equivalent what ever takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yeah be an ssd before more ram for me. 8 for gaming is good enough.

Think terrors idea above, sell the 670. Get a 970 or maybe amd equivalent what ever takes your fancy.

He said he has an SSD already, so RAM was the only other thing I could think of to upgrade. I wouldn't make it a priority, which is why I said budget permitting, but I've got 32GB in mine and don't regret spending the extra as I do notice the difference in what I'm doing.

Agree on that idea about the 670->970.

Unless you were doing a phenomenal amount of editing and using VM's or had a million tabs open in Firefox, 8Gb is plenty for any gaming PC and more won't make any difference, and 32GB would be really flushing money down the toilet unless you were doing the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I game with a overclocked r9 290 and a 4.2GHz Xeon processor at ultra on games like GTA V and Battlefield 4 and I only have 6GB of triple channel RAM. And it never uses up more than the 6GB so 8GB is plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

I have similar spec to OP, around 8 yrs with 2500K minitx setup, only upgrades were 560Ti -> 760, 8GB -> 16GB (XMR blockchain resides in RAM, uses 7GB alone) and mech HDD to 2 x 256GB SSDs. Silverstone 350w PSU,, no issues , ever... The inner geek would like to get new shiny CPUs, GPUs.. but really no need.

I run it at 1.8GHz in Windows and up to 3.5GHz in games.. Elec is quite expensive where I am. Haven't come across a situation I needed to even go over 4GHz tbh.

Would recommend adding 2nd monitor if you don't have already. Maybe enhance your audio or input devices..? Embrace the need NOT to have to splurge on super expensive CPU or GPUs and trick out those other less glamorous components!

Advertisement