Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

TODAY every single US Diesel is way ahead of Passat/Golf

Yes they are!

For some reason it's OK is rednecks do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

astrofool wrote: »
    The efficiency of a large steam turbine at a power plant in turning fuel into energy is about double than what you can achieve at your house, along with a central point for emissions clean up.

At the power plant you're turning fuel into electricity.

His point is that it's more efficient to turn fuel directly into heat in your house, rather than fuel into electricity and then into heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jimgoose wrote: »
    ...I'm still waiting for an explanation from the NCTS for this, it would appear the Ultans and Aoifes are running around racking their leaving certs to come up with a gobshíte yarn to spin me. :pac::pac::pac:

The NCTS have at last informed me that, and I quote:

"Unfortunately the NCTS are not in a position to answer this query. The items to be tested and the methods of testing are not determined by us. I would suggest that you contact the Ministry for Transport, Tourism and Sport,as they are the body that drafted the Statutory Instrument governing the testing of vejhicles[sic]."

So, onward and upward to Government Towers. Watch this space! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

All this talk about depreciation in the value of a new car - the biggest factor in depreciation is how long you keep it. - the graph levels off a fair bit after 3 years.

So, the trick is to buy a reliable car and keep for 7 years+.

This rules out German cars - and has, long before this scandal broke.

The land of the rising sun is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Poulgorm wrote: »
    All this talk about depreciation in the value of a new car - the biggest factor in depreciation is how long you keep it. - the graph levels off a fair bit after 3 years.

Now there's an unpopular opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Toyota? How easily people forget.

4333417414_c6e52502ec.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Ah that was all an exaggerated scandal to help the US car manufacturers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

4333417414_c6e52502ec.jpg

That was nothing compared to this, in fairness.

Obviously it was a ropey flaw; but that was almost natural selection imo. If your accelerator is stuck fully open you have so many simple options, like turn the car off or switch to neutral.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Obviously it was a ropey flaw; but that was almost natural selection imo. If your accelerator is stuck fully open you have so many simple options, like turn the car off or switch to neutral.

You know what - you're right.

Flaws and faults happen sometimes, but VW's action were quite deliberate.

Bearing in mind this was the good ole' US of A. Too many octogenarians driving and when they panic they just mash whatever pedal they're on. Or all of them. Or just blindly mash whatever pedal they can find first.
    If there were statistics, I would guess that 90% of all unexplained accelerator "malfunctions" happen there and mostly to a certain age group.

• Advertisement

Bearing in mind this was the good ole' US of A. Too many octogenarians driving and when they panic they just mash whatever pedal they're on. Or all of them. Or just blindly mash whatever pedal they can find first.
    If there were statistics, I would guess that 90% of all unexplained accelerator "malfunctions" happen there and mostly to a certain age group.

State motto of Florida: The land of alligator meat and gumbo, and getting a belt of a Cadillac driven by an 87-year-old Jewish widow who can't see over the dashboard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

You know what - you're right.

Flaws and faults happen sometimes, but VW's action were quite deliberate.

Not dissimilar to the Celica Turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Hang on... what?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Hang on... what?

Apparently GM and Chrysler are producing fairly decent diesel kit these days.

There's great German cars. If you want one that does exactly what it says on the tin, get a Ford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Had VW cars for a good few years and last two for 7+ years. Regular service and reasonably moderate driving probably helps. ABS sensor went on last and as it was apparently a common fault, I was pretty p*ssed of with VW Irl that they wouldn't cover but apart from that..

jimgoose wrote:
    State motto of Florida: The land of alligator meat and gumbo, and getting a belt of a Cadillac driven by an 87-year-old Jewish widow who can't see over the dashboard!

Gumbo is from Louisiana I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

According to Auto Bild (link in German), Skoda has confirmed that the engine in question (EA 189) is present in the Fabia, Roomster, Octavia and Superb from 2009 to 2013. Audi has also said that the A1, A3, A4 and A6 are affected, but the model years have not been confirmed. Also, they couldn't confirm that those models have been manipulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

A lot of nonsense and hyperbole in this thread. These two from the last two pages particularly :eek:

Troll - unless you even attempt to back up.

Have you ever tried cutting power to a modern car at say over 100km/h taking say a curve on the road? Even want to imagine what happens servo assisted steering? Just wow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Is there a full list of all the cars involved across VW, Audi, Skoda & Seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're saying its just 1.6 and 2.0 tdi engines.

RedorDead wrote: »
    A lot of nonsense and hyperbole in this thread. These two from the last two pages particularly :eek:

Troll - unless you even attempt to back up.

Have you ever tried cutting power to a modern car at say over 100km/h taking say a curve on the road? Even want to imagine what happens servo assisted steering? Just wow!

I have been towed in my car, everything is servo.
    It gets a bit heavier but is well manageable. Especially with the lunatic that towed me! :D Maybe not for someone in their 80's, but it's still better than running out of control. Which I still think is a myth.
    On the first point, well, duh.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Is there a full list of all the cars involved across VW, Audi, Skoda & Seat?

All those with Type EA 189 Engines.

I'm just waiting for my VW dealer to figure out what a Type EA 189 engine is, and what vehicles they've been put in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,357 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

But what is the rectification work required? Is there one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

everlast75 wrote: »
    But what is the rectification work required? Is there one?

Id say a new ECU map would fix the majority of it!

They probably will recall the customers and swap out the ECU for one that they have a new map on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Expect the termination of all very low cost finance deals and a ramping up in PCP rates too. Financial market confidence in VW group has dissipated and VW bank is heavily exposed to residuals which will take a hit - not necessarily a massive one but will there be a premium paid for a Golf diesel coming off a 3 year lease in the next 5 years, I doubt it as I expect their residuals will normalise rather than being above average until the cloud blows past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,357 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

cronin_j wrote: »
    Id say a new ECU map would fix the majority of it!

They probably will recall the customers and swap out the ECU for one that they have a new map on.

So apart from the moral issue, which is substantial but probably not exclusive to VW diesel engines, I do not see the justification for the hyperbole if a recall can solve the issue :confused:

By way of examples of hyperbole, an article I read stated that the USA problem for VW would be the worst factor to "rock" the German economy since the Greece crisis - but later says that the US equates to 6% of their global sales. I think it gets to a stage where the media ramp things up and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

So apart from the moral issue, which is substantial but probably not exclusive to VW diesel engines, I do not see the justification for the hyperbole if a recall can solve the issue :confused:
    There is no justification for it. People get in a tizzy about these things. It'll blow over, VW profits will suffer due to fines and some recalls, mainly in America, but no one in the EU wants the EU thing effected, so some agreement will be made. People will forget, and VW's will be as popular as ever next year.
    My betting is that usual Ford Focus and VW Golf will still be the top 2 selling cars in January 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

Well it is pretty serious.

Say you do recall the cars. Youll have to pay an admin person to organise it, probably take on an extra mechanic or two from the VW side per region/dealership.

Then from the customer side, they will be without a car for say 4 hours. They will surely have to reimburse them something as they are putting their customers out, so will probably give them a hire car to use if they need it etc etc.

It'll add up. But will also blow over.

It'll come out but id say they are all at it.

Advertisement