Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,541 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Fiskar wrote: »
    As expected, diesel's day is finally done, it will take too much moulah, time and reputational risk to win back the majority of drivers, except those that do the mileage.
    Expect to see diesel fuel prices to rise higher than petrol here in the next few months.
    Logic says it will go higher in price which it did in 2007 - 2008 with no explanation. It will get hammered from this point on, same as cigarettes.

While logic you have provided suggests otherwise I beg to differ, diesels time is done and I don't see VW trying to rescue it. it will go electric hybrid and walk away from diesel. Less diesel cars means ...........

Maybe you are getting confused by the government announcement that there is a possible tax increase on Diesel coming in the Budget?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As expected, diesel's day is finally done, it will take too much moulah, time and reputational risk to win back the majority of drivers, except those that do the mileage.
    Expect to see diesel fuel prices to rise higher than petrol here in the next few months.

With respect, diesel is already more expensive than petrol here in the US, and sales have been repeatedly increasing. I do 2,000 freeway miles a month on my car, there need to be some significant cost issues (Or a significant pay raise) to drive me away from diesel, and I doubt I'm alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

kbannon wrote: »

I'm afraid this is simply tiresome unamusing and the work of a rambling mind.

It has been proven beyond a doubt by several posters here that the notion that Germany exerts undue influence is just not credible.

Germany has our best interests at heart and would never manipulate policy and endanger human health to protect their economy.

Seriously who would believe the tiresome unamusing ramblings of anyone who would suggest otherwise?????

Deutschland Deutschland Deutschland über alles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Looks like VW have been banned from selling cars in Switzerland and their associated brands like seat etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think I heard on prime time that she rang Enda Kenny too.

Prob rang the wrong number !!, sure she tells him what to do and think already :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'm afraid this is simply tiresome unamusing and the work of a rambling mind.

It has been proven beyond a doubt by several posters here that the notion that Germany exerts undue influence is just not credible.

Germany has our best interests at heart and would never manipulate policy and endanger human health to protect their economy.

Seriously who would believe the tiresome unamusing ramblings of anyone who would suggest otherwise?????

Deutschland Deutschland Deutschland über alles

And don't forget to throw in Arbeit macht frei and maybe some more Nazi references.
    You can stick that sh*t up your fcuking hole and kindly fcuk off eat some blighted spuds, get drunk and blow something up you drunken Irish terrorist and wife beater.
    Sorry, but the Nazi references in general sometimes just annoy me a tiny bit. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

jimgoose wrote: »
    Picture it, Winston. The healthy, benzine bouquet of a 1991 Opel Omega V6 stuck on cold-enrichment, burbling down the main street. Forever! :D

Or the next rotary owners meet....

The air itself will burn.

And don't forget to throw in Arbeit macht frei and maybe some more Nazi references.
    You can stick that sh*t up your fcuking hole and kindly fcuk off eat some blighted spuds, get drunk and blow something up you drunken Irish terrorist and wife beater.
    Sorry, but the Nazi references in general sometimes just annoy me a tiny bit. :mad:

Is the piece of German I quoted not from the current national anthem???? And no I don't mean that in "soon to be the irish anthem" smart arse way!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Dartz wrote: »
    Or the next rotary owners meet....

The air itself will burn.

Napalm in the morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt only giving them 'til 7th October to sort it out without cheating software
    if they fail and type-approval is withdrawn for the affected cars it'll get interesting

http://www.welt.de/newsticker/dpa_nt/infoline_nt/wirtschaft_nt/article146902637/Ermitteln-auf-Hochtouren.html

German carmaker Volkswagen also equipped 2.8 million cars in Germany with software designed to cheat on exhaust emissions tests, German Transport Minister Alexander Dobrindt said Friday.

vans too :

The minister added some of VW's light commercial trucks and vans were also fitted with so called "defeat devices."
    "According to current information, in addition to cars, Volkswagen's light commercial vehicles are also affected by illegal manipulation of the emissions of diesel engines," the minister said in a statement.

http://www.dw.com/en/germanys-dobrindt-28-million-cars-in-germany-affected-in-vw-scandal/a-18741890

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

"People's car" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Thinking about getting a second hand mk7 golf gti early next year. Any reason at all to avoid petrol vw's at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Whatever about the consequences at brand and emissions testing levels, your average owner (especially in Ireland) doesn't give a toss about such things if the car itself is cheap to run, reliable and low tax.

Unless diesel rates are taxed significantly higher (side note.. What FG/LAB may give in bribes /USC cuts they'll more than take back with this move as it affects not just the forecourt price but everything on the shelf too) or the cars themselves are withdrawn or reclassified into higher emissions /tax brackets, people will still continue to buy them regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Poor ole VW almost feel sorry for them now. Could have happened in a worse country than the US in fairness, everything is so litigious. It could cost them or the insurers literally fortunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I wonder, would that make it illegal to drive one of the affected cars, or just to sell/register one?

I wonder, would that make it illegal to drive one of the affected cars, or just to sell/register one?

It'll probably end up like Switzerland - keep driving it if you have it ? - be some craic on donedeal though

(Switzerland ) has stopped the sale of any VW cars in the Euro5 category, which contains the majority of the cars that the company has admitted have defeat devices.

The move effects roughly 180,000 cars that are yet to be sold or registered, including 1.2-litre, 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre diesel engines for the VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda brands.

However, the Swiss federal roads office, which announced the ban, said motorists who already own a VW diesel car will be allowed to continue driving.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/sep/26/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-switzerland-bans-sale-of-some-models

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Is the piece of German I quoted not from the current national anthem???? And no I don't mean that in "soon to be the irish anthem" smart arse way!

You're kind if discouraged from singing it unless you're a skinhead at a neo Nazi rally.

Originally Posted by Special Circumstances

nein - you can't be singing the first verse
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/dec/01/peter-doherty-sings-nazi-anthem

Pete Doherty was dragged off stage at a festival in Germany this weekend, after he began singing the controversial first stanza of Das Deutschlandlied, also known as The Song of Germany. The opening verse, beginning with the words "Deutschland über alles", is often considered a Nazi anthem

Mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa.

Not meant as a personal dig at yourself Doc. Genuinely didn't realise that part had been banished, seems like a perfectly fine piece of national anthem rhetoric.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

California is saying it will likely refuse to renew registrations if they are not brought back to meet the recall, and they'll give owners about six months to do it once the fix has been approved. Not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It does raise the question of warranty though. If you bought a new car and there was a common fault with the emissions control hardware which was covered under warranty - that'd be fair enough.

But if your car has this equipment switched off by design, and it's now switched on by VW when your car is out of warranty, and it develops a fault which would have reared its head much earlier - should the owner have to foot the bill...

I wouldn't be surprised if VW had to offer an extended warranty as part of the recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

You would think that with all the billions in surveillance the US spends, they would be able to spot a 482,000 cars that were sending out misleading emissions. Just sayin..

I still think that VW makes some of the best cars in the world and I never bought the co2 (plant food) climate change bull*hit anyway, so I'll still be buying a VW as my next car, hopefully I can keep my current diesel on the road for another 5 years , then I'll be moving to electric, by then such things as 15 minute charge and 400 mile range will be common place.

Still behind Europe 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

The ECB have just suspended the purchase of VW bonds. That's funding stalled. No matter how big you are day to day funding is required. US class actions and Euroeqn group legal actions are going to be severe. Me thinks the EU money men are about to set VW up for a vulture type fall where they make life impossible for them, move on and asset strip, then profit hugely as (they allow and manipulate) confidence to return. This is going to be seismic.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It does raise the question of warranty though. If you bought a new car and there was a common fault with the emissions control hardware which was covered under warranty - that'd be fair enough.

But if your car has this equipment switched off by design, and it's now switched on by VW when your car is out of warranty, and it develops a fault which would have reared its head much earlier - should the owner have to foot the bill...

I wouldn't be surprised if VW had to offer an extended warranty as part of the recall.

Be a cold day in hell before they are forced to offer an extended warranty in Europe a la DSG warranty in China. (Those champions of quality products and consumer rights lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm more thinking USA.
    You see with all the blatant design rip offs and complete lack of action from manufacturers desperate to shift units in China that nobody wants to upset them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

The ECB have just suspended the purchase of VW bonds. That's funding stalled. No matter how big you are day to day funding is required. US class actions and Euroeqn group legal actions are going to be severe. Me thinks the EU money men are about to set VW up for a vulture type fall where they make life impossible for them, move on and asset strip, then profit hugely as (they allow and manipulate) confidence to return. This is going to be seismic.

So essentially they cannot offer cheap finance. That's not good for a manufacturer of the second biggest purchase you will ever make. Seismic indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

VW employs 80,000 people ! Looks like you and me will be picking up the pieces on this one ! Find me a carpet and a sweep!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

bosch provide the ECU's, MAF's , Injectors , other sensors, the manufacturer would apply the mapping or tweak software for it , if bosch did the code work you'd have nothing proprietary left in the ecu's and manufacturers wouldn't be fans of that.

Yea looks like Bosch knew and supplied firmware for test purposes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/volkswagen/11894672/Volkswagen-crisis-Car-giant-warned-against-emissions-rigging-eight-years-ago.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

According to the telegraph, the dept of transport (UK) might back date demands? to 2012, Italy has stopped selling VW Diesels, anyone think this will push up demand for pre-08 diesels here, or even cause the C02 (plant food) tax system to be reversed, or called the nox tax.

Amazing times, its like the cold war again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

JJJJNR wrote: »
    According to the telegraph, the dept of transport (UK) might back date demands? to 2012, Italy has stopped selling VW Diesels, anyone think this will push up demand for pre-08 diesels here, or even cause the C02 (plant food) tax system to be reversed, or called the nox tax.

Amazing times, its like the cold war again.

Revising the tax system wouldn't be a bad idea I've always said it should be just added to fuel costs and abolished.

Advertisement