Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

JJJJNR wrote: »
    According to the telegraph, the dept of transport (UK) might back date demands? to 2012, Italy has stopped selling VW Diesels, anyone think this will push up demand for pre-08 diesels here, or even cause the C02 (plant food) tax system to be reversed, or called the nox tax.

Amazing times, its like the cold war again.

It's been time to reverse the diesel tax incentive for a few years, especially when projected cancer rates had to be revised upwards because of diesel usage.

They need to incentivise hybrids and longer down the line cars with defensive driving sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

aphex™ wrote: »
    ...especially when projected cancer rates had to be revised upwards because of diesel usage....
    I have not heard of this before, where is this from?
    They need to incentivise hybrids and longer down the line cars with defensive driving sensors.
    I agree with first comment, if the hybrids cost too much few will buy them.

However, what are defensive driving sensors? Missiles behind the number plate? Oil that squirts out behind the car? Machine guns popping out of front wings?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    On top of the 50% 60%-63% tax that is already on fuel :rolleyes:

FYP - http://www.pumps.ie/FAQPricesExplained.php

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

On top of the 50% tax that is already on fuel :rolleyes:

Yea your point being? Don't we pay more than 50% tax on fuel anyway.

I think the majority of people would be happy to see the back of another bill and it would be the fairest system to put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

BigEejit wrote: »
    I have not heard of this before, where is this from?

I agree with first comment, if the hybrids cost too much few will buy them.

However, what are defensive driving sensors? Missiles behind the number plate? Oil that squirts out behind the car? Machine guns popping out of front wings?

Diesel causes cancer - WHO
    Longer article on diesel and cancer

Defensive driving sensors help avoid crashes e.g. slow down when a driver is not alert and at risk of hitting a car in front. Thought ith. was fairly self explanatory tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

My point is we already pay a shed load of tax on fuel already. Your suggestion is to add more tax onto a already over-taxed fuel? How does that make sense?

It makes a lot of sense to me. I could lose a €1,488 annual bill and replace it with a proper pay-as-you-pollute system, as opposed to subsidizing a load of lying-toad Bank Of Volkswagen-mobiles doing three times the mileage and smelling utterly foul. If such a system put anything less than 40c a litre on fuel, I would dance with joy, because that would cut my current motor tax bill in half. ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

My point is we already pay a shed load of tax on fuel already. Your suggestion is to add more tax onto a already over-taxed fuel? How does that make sense?

Because it removes the hefty and unfair motor tax bills we all currently pay.

I'd rather they put 10, even 20c on a liter of fuel if it meant I wasn't paying €200 quarterly.

Because it removes the hefty and unfair motor tax bills we all currently pay.

I'd rather they put 10, even 20c on a liter of fuel if it meant I wasn't paying €200 quarterly.

Forget about it. Paddy doesn't want fair - he just wants to pay less than the other bastard come Hell or high water! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yes our fuel is already over taxed but that's not going to change anytime soon there are country's who have higher fuel costs than us.

Add a few cents a litre the more you drive the more tax you pay is the fairest system while abolishing the motor tax bill altogether.

You could allow taxis and haulage companies to use green diesel.

I think the majority of people would happily accept it and understand it's a fair system while being happy to rid themselves of another annual bill.

It would also rid us of a tax system that has pushed a lot of people needlessly into diesel engines.

What would be your solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

More info coming out of Audi now:
    Audi says 2.1 million cars have 'cheat' emissions software
    Affected models include the A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, TT, Q3 and Q5, a spokesman told the Reuters news agency.
    Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34377443

• Advertisement

carrotcake wrote: »
    More info coming out of Audi now...

Jaysis! :eek:

carrotcake wrote: »
    More info coming out of Audi now:

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34377443

That's a real shock tbh. Who will be next? Surely not honest Skoda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

I would expect all of the following to be hit: VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat as they all use the same engine

Does anyone know how to check which cars are affected? It says the EU5 engine on this link and not the EU6.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1560147/2-1m-audi-cars-have-vw-emission-cheat-device

I have Audi A6 11 and I would guess it has a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It makes perfect sense.

Look at it this way.

A person driving a family saloon to get them about, Not major users of the road, Say 4~5k kms per year and driving a 2007 2.0 car paying over 700 tax.

Take another person driving a similar car, same engine size 2007 again covering 50~70k kms per year. Then driver two pays more as they use the road more.

Similar to the PAYE system only PAYD (Pay as you drive) instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm currently working full time at home, (can't believe it as I used to cover huge mileage) but I hardly ever use my car now, ok I'm saving on fuel by not using the car, but I'm still paying the full motor tax. The UK system is way better, but at the same time could you trust the bunch we have to introduce a fair system here, and not use it as a soft target to pay for the bailout, failed water company, pension top ups etc etc.

They would have fuel at the same price as a starbucks coffee, per litre.

Let's hope VAG's Cavalier attitude doesn't ruin Vauxhalls for everyone:

http://fortune.com/2015/09/26/heres-how-regulators-around-the-world-have-reacted-to-the-vw-emissions-scandal/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Any word on the Japanese makes? I have a Honda Accord 2.2 idtec and I'm wondering if they are cheating bastids as well.... if the actual mpg is anything to go by, then the answer would be no..

BigEejit wrote: »
    Any word on the Japanese makes? I have a Honda Accord 2.2 idtec and I'm wondering if they are cheating bastids as well.... if the actual mpg is anything to go by, then the answer would be no..

The Japs as a nation are incredibly honest. I doubt they'd get wrapped up this deep in anything like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

So Audi are admitting they might have up to 2.1 million cars affected but it was logical enough that this would be the case given its a VW group company. By default you'd have to assume Skoda and Seat are next but what about the less obvious possible victims. Mitsubishi used VW engines in its Grandis, Chrysler used it in their mid sized European saloons and Jeep used it in Europe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jimgoose wrote: »

I thought the whole idea of being in the EU was we only needed one Type Approval - what's with all the individual EU states running separate tests if there's only one Approval for all states ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,932 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Japs as a nation are incredibly honest. I doubt they'd get wrapped up this deep in anything like this.

Wrapped up in it? They invented it!
    josip wrote: »
    Not dissimilar to the Celica Turbo.

...how will this impact on PCP and finance availability I wonder....... ?? http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2dec4060-652b-11e5-9846-de406ccb37f2.html#axzz3n2KQE26s

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

Yes our fuel is already over taxed but that's not going to change anytime soon there are country's who have higher fuel costs than us.

Add a few cents a litre the more you drive the more tax you pay is the fairest system while abolishing the motor tax bill altogether.

I think the majority of people would happily accept it and understand it's a fair system while being happy to rid themselves of another annual bill.

It would also rid us of a tax system that has pushed a lot of people needlessly into diesel engines.

Yes, and of course it would also better fund that real non polluting body as well....Irish water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Revising the tax system wouldn't be a bad idea I've always said it should be just added to fuel costs and abolished.

The problem with that proposal is that it may well be added to fuel but it won't be abolished .. why would any Govt abolish such a cash cow?

josip wrote: »
    Wrapped up in it? They invented it!

Nah. The Japs are culturally honest.

If you drop your wallet on the street during the am rush hour in Tokyo, you could probably go back that afternoon and pick it back up. If it wasn't there it'd be most likely be with a police officer.

The Japs wouldn't set out to decieve people on an issue like this. Big difference between winning a race and poisoning the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

What the people who advocate putting up the tax on fuel and aboloshing road tax, or whatever it's called this week, forget is this. Say road tax is dropped and tax u fuel goes up bay say 30c a litre to make up for it and teh figure balance out. Some people win, some people loose but people accept it.

Sometime down the line the then government is harder up tha usual. Road tax is re introduced at a low rate which creeps up over time but the extar tax stays on fuel.

You think I'm joking? Road tax was effectively abolished on cars under 2 litres by the lot who got into power in 1977. Waht is it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Someone said 'Well if the "scientists" are going to come up with bent computer models and bent data on global warming,then it's no surprise that companies come up with bent computer models and bent data to comply with their edicts and proscriptions.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The long and the short of this VW thing is that for any real difference to be made, they need to completely change the emissions tests both here and in America. Real world tests over a month long period or something.
    It'll mean that all these 'magic' figures we have now will go back up, but we'll have a longer term solution that'll actually have some sort of benefit.

Joe 90 wrote: »
    Someone said 'Well if the "scientists" are going to come up with bent computer models and bent data on global warming,then it's no surprise that companies come up with bent computer models and bent data to comply with their edicts and proscriptions.'

^^^^^this, by a 1,000,000

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The long and the short of this VW thing is that for any real difference to be made, they need to completely change the emissions tests both here and in America. Real world tests over a month long period or something.
    It'll mean that all these 'magic' figures we have now will go back up, but we'll have a longer term solution that'll actually have some sort of benefit.

What sort of benefit, there’s no evidence that points to cars being the main contributor to greenhouse gases. Zero, zilch, nada, none. Food production specifically meat, has way more impact on the planet than cars x 1000.

Advertisement