Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

JJJJNR wrote: »
    What sort of benefit, there’s no evidence that points to cars being the main contributor to greenhouse gases. Zero, zilch, nada, none. Food production specifically meat, has way more impact on the planet than cars x 1000.
    Point to where I did say they were the main contributor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Fair enough you didn't but what benefit would you expect ? the whole thing is completely fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Fair enough you didn't but what benefit would you expect ? the whole thing is completely fake.
    Here's a good bar chart :
    http://crazyapplerumors.com/2006/06/15/macbooks-surpass-oil-as-major-contributor-to-global-warming/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Pope Jeremy I has come to the defence of the beleaguered Teutonic Titan:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/jeremy-clarkson/62887/jeremy-clarkson-comes-to-the-defence-of-volkswagen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nah. The Japs are culturally honest.

If you drop your wallet on the street during the am rush hour in Tokyo, you could probably go back that afternoon and pick it back up. If it wasn't there it'd be most likely be with a police officer.

The Japs wouldn't set out to decieve people on an issue like this. Big difference between winning a race and poisoning the planet.

I fully agree with this. I once left my wallet plus passport in a Tokyo cab. He came back to the office and dropped it off and wouldn't take anything for his trouble. Needless to say I hired him again and doubled his fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

tippman1 wrote: »

Doesn't say much when the only person they could get to comment was a committee member of VAGE.

There has been no communication from VW about the controversy and the reason for the slow down in foot traffic is very obvious - it's October and nobody buys cars at this time of the year. The same as last year, the year before, and many before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The happy upside of this is that there aren't any annoying VW ads around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

This about sums up VW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Anyone any ideas what this means for someone with an affected car?
    Mines still under warranty, wonder if I can use that to my advantage.

I'm guessing that either economy/efficiency of the cars stays high but emissions stay high resulting in higher Tax OR
    They reduce the efficiency to reduce the emissions which means higher fuel costs.

And resale value is in the toilet now regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    And resale value is in the toilet now regardless.

Well when Toyota were implicated in the brake scandal four years ago some said it would be the end of them, they're still the second most popular brand in Ireland (they were first before) and they command a very high price in the second-hand market.

Once this scandal dies down VWs will be as desirable as they always have been, though I must admit arresting Winterkorn is a rather surprising development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Well when Toyota were implicated in the brake scandal four years ago some said it would be the end of them, they're still the second most popular brand in Ireland (they were first before) and they command a very high price in the second-hand market.

Once this scandal dies down VWs will be as desirable as they always have been, though I must admit arresting Winterkorn is a rather surprising development.

I think thats a very different situation where a vehicle has been sold and in some cases after prolonged use an inherent failing is found while highly undesirable it is somewhat accepted and a fact of the complex machines we now have.

I think the bigger issue here is VAG has purposely misled the end user for their own gain, and unfortunately for the sake of drivers & dealers alike i don't the general public will let this one lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I think thats a very different situation where a vehicle has been sold and in some cases after prolonged use an inherent failing is found while highly undesirable it is somewhat accepted and a fact of the complex machines we now have.

I think the bigger issue here is VAG has purposely misled the end user for their own gain, and unfortunately for the sake of drivers & dealers alike i don't the general public will let this one lie.

I think this hits the nail on the head, there is no benefit of the doubt here. The only thing that will save VW from losing some of its' premium brands is if others are found to be doing the same. This does appear to be the case though from what I am reading there has been a lot of people shouting behind the scenes for a while now who were mostly ignored but are now being listened to.

Another conspiracy theory becomes conspiracy fact. We really are at the mercy of these global corporations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

it just shows how ingenious vw are

get a vw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

it just shows how ingenious vw are

get a vw

Yep. Totgesagte leben länger.

Yep. Totgesagte leben länger.

quatsch! (rubbish)

alle schaedliche gassen usw fliegen raus in die erdraueme, :D

(all harmful gasses etc. fly out into space) :D

Mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa.

Not meant as a personal dig at yourself Doc. Genuinely didn't realise that part had been banished, seems like a perfectly fine piece of national anthem rhetoric.

Sorry too, didn't mean to kick off like that.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    ...I'm guessing that either economy/efficiency of the cars stays high but emissions stay high resulting in higher Tax...

Not quite. The particular emitted substance involved in this case is various oxides of nitrogen, a.k.a. "NOx", not CO2. NOx has nothing to do with tax in this jurisdiction.

One thing that's come to my attention during this whole episode is that a lot of people think there's only one sort of "emissions", usually the "Tax" kind. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Sorry too, didn't mean to kick off like that.

Not at all, you were right I was wrong.

Ja know what, I thought this would have been buried days ago in news. Genuinely surprised it has run this long.

...Genuinely surprised it has run this long.

It probably woukd have sunk into the rest of the mire somewhat had VAG come out fighting like Alsatians ("They passed the fcukan tests, didn't they? Whaddaya want, blood?!?") instead of coming over all "We're sowwy we told fibs about minding the ickle furry bunnies!". I admit I expected better. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

jimgoose wrote: »
    Not quite. The particular emitted substance involved in this case is various oxides of nitrogen, a.k.a. "NOx", not CO2. NOx has nothing to do with tax in this jurisdiction.

One thing that's come to my attention during this whole episode is that a lot of people think there's only one sort of "emissions", usually the "Tax" kind. :D

Nox reduction would probably result in increased fuel consumption which equals increased CO2.....more tax, in my opinion.

Nox reduction would probably result in increased fuel consumption which equals increased CO2.....more tax, in my opinion.

Yes I know, but fret_wimp2 above had that t'other way about, and he wouldn't be the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

B6bzs-dCUAEsgwt.jpg

bazz26 wrote: »
    B6bzs-dCUAEsgwt.jpg

A 40% reduction in the value of one of the worlds largest companies is barely 'blowing things out of proportion'. This is one of the biggest stories in the world, it is THE biggest story in the motoring industry, something that affects everybodys life. Also, a bit annoying if you happen to have a child with asthma, care about the environment you live and breath in or just hate getting ripped off.

This is epic, it is only the beginning. I would love to know what could possibly be bigger than this that we are missing?

FortySeven wrote: »
    A 40% reduction in the value of one of the worlds largest companies is barely 'blowing things out of proportion'. This is one of the biggest stories in the world, it is THE biggest story in the motoring industry, something that affects everybodys life. Also, a bit annoying if you happen to have a child with asthma, care about the environment you live and breath in or just hate getting ripped off.

This is epic, it is only the beginning. I would love to know what could possibly be bigger than this that we are missing?

tldr

tldr

So why comment?

So why comment?

drunktown

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think this hits the nail on the head, there is no benefit of the doubt here. The only thing that will save VW from losing some of its' premium brands is if others are found to be doing the same. This does appear to be the case though from what I am reading there has been a lot of people shouting behind the scenes for a while now who were mostly ignored but are now being listened to.

Another conspiracy theory becomes conspiracy fact. We really are at the mercy of these global corporations.

Ultimately, once the dust settles, and, for example, VW are fined and the tests adjusted, I personally will be spending my rare, and hard-earned dosh on the vehicle which best suits my needs at the best price. If it turns out, like it did the last time I went car shopping six months ago, that the best blend of features, capabilities, and costs happens to come from VW, then I'll buy them again. What they did six months or a year ago has very little relevance to me. I don't earn enough money to be particularly picky about things like past indiscretions.

You are missing:
    airplanes, trucks, tractors, harvesters, buses, trains, ships, diggers, industrial plant, generators and let's not forget:
    Houses being heated by diesel and kerosene.

If you truly care about your child with asthma, rather than making a hysterical point, you will not rest until all the above are banished.
    Good thing I copied this long list, typing it out every time was exhausting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I agree with the point made that vw should have come out fighting.
    They could have said that this test was developed and they built cars that meet the requirement of the test. They could surely have argued that they will build cars to comply with any test procedure implemented but until the tests change, there is no reason to alter the cars in any way.
    Surely it is up to the authorities to design and implement a suitable testing regime that will examine the cars emissions performance over a range of driving conditions.

Advertisement