Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Thanks Boat Mad, all this makes for very interesting reading. Trouble sleeping? :p
    This really is fascinating and we'll see if others get caught.

Dont sleep much. 😏

I would be very surprised if a car was made illegal to drive and own. And I would like to know if those ginormous US made pickup trucks that leave a cloud of smoke like a steam engine are anywhere near as clean as the VW's. They probably have an exemption, if your vehicle is "'murican" enough, it is exempt from any environmental laws.
    Ah, would you know it, they are:
    http://electrifyingtimes.com/gasguzzlerloophole.html

Remember most U.S. Light vehicles are petrol where nox production is minimal. The problem is diesels

Deedsie wrote: »
    I have a 2009 2.0 TDI Golf. Is there anyway I can check today if my car is affected by this? From VIN number?

The engine is a CBDC apparently. Any suggestions how I could confirm if my car has EA189?

Why are you worried. Your car is exactly the same today as it was a month ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

BoatMad wrote: »
    Remember most U.S. Light vehicles are petrol where nox production is minimal. The problem is diesels

Just check out Rolling Coal on YouTube! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

My Octavia is a relatively new car and its the 1.6 turbo diesal model therefore I assume mine will be recalled. Just hope the software fix or whatever it is does not turn my car into a slouchy pig inorder to combat the emmisions.

• Advertisement

My Octavia is a relatively new car and its the 1.6 turbo diesal model therefore I assume mine will be recalled. Just hope the software fix or whatever it is does not turn my car into a slouchy pig inorder to combat the emmisions.

Read over Boat Mad's posts over the last few pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Thanks Boatmad for shedding some coherence on this. I too think they are trying to hide the truth with this software. I have never seen such a quick response to anything like this before. It smacks of smoke and mirrors. This is likely the cheapest option (recall) in the hope it will stop further scrutiny. I think ALL manufacturers are worried the rabbit hole is so illuminated.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Thanks Boatmad for shedding some coherence on this. I too think they are trying to hide the truth with this software. I have never seen such a quick response to anything like this before. It smacks of smoke and mirrors. This is likely the cheapest option (recall) in the hope it will stop further scrutiny. I think ALL manufacturers are worried the rabbit hole is so illuminated.

Agreed.
    The question is: It seems like the EU and the US must have known something, but were happy to let sleeping dogs lie, because it looks like they were warned often enough, but shrugged it off. Will they just make VW the scapegoat and hope no-one lifts up the carpet to see all the other crap under there?

The question is: It seems like the EU and the US must have known something, but were happy to let sleeping dogs lie, because it looks like they were warned often enough, but shrugged it off. Will they just make VW the scapegoat and hope no-one lifts up the carpet to see all the other crap under there?

I can't see America allowing that to happen, it's a perfect opportunity to boost domestic sales. I guess Merkel faces the choice of pushing VW over the edge or dragging the other German brands into the mix. Shaky ground VW are on if they take this alone though. The company is already valued at almost half of what it was before this news broke. Credit lines will be drying up. Lost sales, bans on sales in some countries and it seems a lot of unknowns to come.

I can't see America allowing that to happen, it's a perfect opportunity to boost domestic sales. I guess Merkel faces the choice of pushing VW over the edge or dragging the other German brands into the mix. Shaky ground VW are on if they take this alone though. The company is already valued at almost half of what it was before this news broke. Credit lines will be drying up. Lost sales, bans on sales in some countries and it seems a lot of unknowns to come.

Can't see the German government letting VW fail. They have on many previous occasions bailed out the industry. Along with the coal and steel industry.
    In the end the taxpayer will pick up the bill as usual.
    So the problem is not so much "what happens to VW" but "what happens to all of Germany", because either way this will cost them big.
    The worry is, if this damages the German economy, coupled with the stockmarket crisis in China, this could genuinely kick off another global recession, unless the US economy keeps on going strong.
    Maybe I am overestimating this crisis (happy to be wrong), but this is certainly not small change, be it for VW or Germany.

• Advertisement

Can't see the German government letting VW fail. They have on many previous occasions bailed out the industry. Along with the coal and steel industry.
    In the end the taxpayer will pick up the bill as usual.
    So the problem is not so much "what happens to VW" but "what happens to all of Germany", because either way this will cost them big.
    The worry is, if this damages the German economy, coupled with the stockmarket crisis in China, this could genuinely kick off another global recession, unless the US economy keeps on going strong.
    Maybe I am overestimating this crisis (happy to be wrong), but this is certainly not small change, be it for VW or Germany.

Not sure Merkel has the political capital within the EU blok to get away with a bailout, plenty countries looking for leverage over Germany thanks to her position on the refugee crisis. Not a lot of goodwill left for the Germans. The recession is coming anyway, this could well be the straw that breaks the camels back but if the markets fall, VW doesn't have far to go to be in real trouble.

Not sure Merkel has the political capital within the EU blok to get away with a bailout, plenty countries looking for leverage over Germany thanks to her position on the refugee crisis. Not a lot of goodwill left for the Germans. The recession is coming anyway, this could well be the straw that breaks the camels back but if the markets fall, VW doesn't have far to go to be in real trouble.

Hope not, we just got over the last one. it would be a very silly thing to kick off a global recession just to "stick it to the Germans".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I have the car up for sale at the moment. And I was hoping for a straightforward sale. I fear this is going to slow any chance of a sale or reduce the value of the car? I am also stupidly impatient and I just want to know if it affects me or not.

http://en.oiktv.com/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines#2.0_R4_16v_TDI_CR_81-176kW

I think that is my engine anyway. Code CBDC and that has the EA 189 thing. Pain in the hole is all this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Deedsie wrote: »
    I have the car up for sale at the moment. And I was hoping for a straightforward sale. I fear this is going to slow any chance of a sale or reduce the value of the car? I am also stupidly impatient and I just want to know if it affects me or not.

http://en.oiktv.com/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines#2.0_R4_16v_TDI_CR_81-176kW

I think that is my engine anyway. Code CBDC and that has the EA 189 thing. Pain in the hole is all this is.

And this is why any sane buyer won't buy another VW in the future!

5W30 wrote: »

Certainly a few good second hand bargains to be had for the buyer who can get his timing right.
    It will be the same as when the NCT came in initially, a lot of cars that were older were sold for a song by worried owners because "sure, it'll never pass, it's too old!" and buyers were saying "sure, it's no good anymore, but I'll give you a few quid out of the goodness of my heart!"
    And the same for VW's, a lot of very nervous people will try to get rid of it because "sure, it's ruined now!" and a lot of shrewd people will only be too glad to buy them, "sure it's ruined, but I'll give you a few quid for it, but it won't be much. I'm doing this out of the goodness of my heart!"
    If affected VW's become illegal in Ireland (0.0001% chance of this), the owners would be compensated by VW. Otherwise values my drop for a while, but wait 3-5 years (if even) and everyone will have forgotten about it. So to sell now would be daft, it would be like buying a house in '07 and selling it in '09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Credit Suisse reckon the emissions scandal could cost VW 87 Billion USD http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/02/news/companies/volkswagen-scandal-bp-credit-suisse/index.html

Interesting times ahead

5W30 wrote: »

Well this is my second VW and so far no complaints. First car held it value brilliant. I have had zero issues with this car until the current problem and it's not like it has affected performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I would be very surprised if a car was made illegal to drive and own. And I would like to know if those ginormous US made pickup trucks that leave a cloud of smoke like a steam engine are anywhere near as clean as the VW's. They probably have an exemption, if your vehicle is "'murican" enough, it is exempt from any environmental laws.
    Ah, would you know it, they are:
    http://electrifyingtimes.com/gasguzzlerloophole.html

But in the states they're not too bothered by it's overall emissions-fuel consumption or efficency - nox is their(current ) thing - and diesels struggle with nox -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

^^^
    Well, because it's a pickup that is perfectly fine and dandy, yessirreebob (as long as you fire your guns in the air and go 'Yeeee-Haaaa!' at the same time), but them dirty VW's that produce about 1% of the sh*t coming out of those smoke stacks are absolutely unacceptable. We can't have that.
    I'm willing to bet that the difference in emissions from VW between what they're supposed to put out vs what they actually put out is less than the emissions caused in that single video. We sure like to make a song and dance about insignificant little things and ignore the real issues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭bigroad

JJJJNR wrote: »

We can have any of those big American pickup trucks here running around and taxed as a commercial.
    Our government don't offer any incentive to commercial vehicle owners here to buy greener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

This story in the mail if true could be the death nail for the diesel car, at least PSA not implicated

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3259067/It-s-not-just-VW-Official-tester-claims-four-diesel-car-giants-break-toxic-emissions-limit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

SEAT have an online VIN checker now for diesel recall:

http://www.seat.com/owners/diesel-engines/vin-number.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54,266 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Razorfish wrote: »

Great stuff my car isnt affected

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

bigroad wrote: »
    We can have any of those big American pickup trucks here running around and taxed as a commercial.
    Our government don't offer any incentive to commercial vehicle owners here to buy greener.

Oh yes they do - the price of diesel - very few drive pick ups with 4 litre petrol engines -and those that do pay at the pumps - yes an awful lot of "professionals" drive 4wd commercials to tackle the mean streets of Dublin but how do you stop that-
    I drive a 2 litre turbo diesel (van) - it replaced a 2.5 diesel Toyota and uses way less fuel - one of the reasons that Toyota is now off the market (though still highly regarded) is because it had fuel costs-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Fiskar wrote: »
    This story in the mail if true could be the death nail for the diesel car, at least PSA not implicated

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3259067/It-s-not-just-VW-Official-tester-claims-four-diesel-car-giants-break-toxic-emissions-limit.html

Sounds like they set up roadside measuring posts and measured random cars going past.
    They don't call it the Hate Mail for nothing. You do know they've been voted Britain’s worst newspaper ahead of The Sun for a few years now? :pac:

Razorfish wrote: »

I entered my VW Golf VIN and it came up saying "Your Car is not involved" Dont know if this is anyway accurate but sure hopefully it is a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bigroad wrote: »

only problem is they all use 6 litre cummins diesels. Dodge have started with a 3.0 V6 diesel in the 1500, if they could bring me a 3-4 litre V6 or preferably V8 diesel in an F150 id be all over it. We just don't get nice big pickups like the states do.

only problem is they all use 6 litre cummins diesels. Dodge have started with a 3.0 V6 diesel in the 1500, if they could bring me a 3-4 litre V6 or preferably V8 diesel in an F150 id be all over it. We just don't get nice big pickups like the states do.

Just have a look at those figures:

http://www.maryngroup.com/product-listings/powerup/item/207-battle-of-the-diesel-engine-cummins-duramax-powerstroke

Nothing under 6 liters. Saw another article that mentions 13 mpg (US), all this while we're saying "should I get the 1.5 or the 1.6? Ah Jeez, better get the 1.5 or the Greens will be mad at me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just have a look at those figures:

http://www.maryngroup.com/product-listings/powerup/item/207-battle-of-the-diesel-engine-cummins-duramax-powerstroke

Nothing under 6 liters. Saw another article that mentions 13 mpg (US), all this while we're saying "should I get the 1.5 or the 1.6? Ah Jeez, better get the 1.5 or the Greens will be mad at me!

apparently the powerstroke 6 litre does 400 horses and returns an average 20 US Mpg which is 24 UK mpg , if the next iteration delivered a 5mpg improvement (US) id have that no bother, all 6 litres of it. then my only problem would be the 3.5 tonne on the GVW limit of a B licence.

Advertisement