Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

BoatMad wrote: »
    has it any urea additive , in europe its possible to pass current Euro 6 with just a lean NOX trap ( which performs terribly on road by the way )

The NEDC test is just a joke for emissions control
    so the non adblue all have lean nox traps , as I said all of them can pass Euro6

none of the LNT tech will pass the newer WLTC style testing due in next year

As R.O.R said. Mine has no adblue

Care to fill me in?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

vectra wrote: »
    As R.O.R said. Mine has no adblue

Care to fill me in?

I assume what they are saying is that your model will be discontinued when new testing regime comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mickdw wrote: »
    I assume what they are saying is that your model will be discontinued when new testing regime comes in.

More likely it will need the AdBlue system added to pass the new regulations. Rumour is that AdBlue will eventually trickle down to even the smallest diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
    More likely it will need the AdBlue system added to pass the new regulations. Rumour is that AdBlue will eventually trickle down to even the smallest diesels.

No, its only for new models, once your model years passes conformity in the year of its introduction, it doesnt have to pass it again , it the tests change,

All car companies will be forced to fit SCR systems to ultimately pass the new NEDC test , but they have upto 5 years of a run in .

The new WLTC mods to the NEDC test cycle is being hotly debated with tge EU regulators, the current proposal is for a conformity fact of 1.8 for 2017-2018, in reality this would let cars generate 1.8 times the limit NOX under the newer tests ( still lab tests), resulting technically , if it were agreed that 2017 engines would emit MORE Nox then current engines

also remember, there is no controls as to what actually comes out the tailpipe when you drive it down your road

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

also remember, there is no controls as to what actually comes out the tailpipe when you drive it down your road

That's not strictly true, but the full emissions controls are only all up and running under certain conditions, which aren't all the time, but will happen every now and again.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    That's not strictly true, but the full emissions controls are only all up and running under certain conditions, which aren't all the time, but will happen every now and again.

no, there are no controls as to what actually comes out the tail pipe under on -road conditions

LNT does have a regeneration cycle , and SCRs can fail to work under low temp conditions etc, ( or very high NOX output ) , but thats different and the m,anufactuer is allowed to have systems on the car that defeat the emissions system under certain conditions, ( typically on start up etc ) , but again thats different

The emissions test is performed on a dynamometer , with the car running the NEDC test cycle ( largely terrible for emissions detection). Once the car passes that test, what actually comes out the tailpipe is completely uncontrolled and not tested again for the life of the car.

what a manufacturer cant do is game the tests, i.e. have a specific feature that tries to fool the test , however in Europe , their is huge latitude to allow legally the manufacturer to game the tests

in reality diesel emissions testing is a joke in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Old man in the wife's work says that her car tax will now be over €2000.

He's too old to hit...Please can someone put it in plain English here that this makes no difference to anything relevant to the cars affected.

mfceiling wrote: »

He's too old to hit...Please can someone put it in plain English here that this makes no difference to anything relevant to the cars affected.

Tell him he is right and tell him that vw have offered 18000 in compensation to cover the tax difference for the life of the car. Tell him you took the 18k and are hoping the tax might not go up after all.

mickdw wrote: »
    Tell him he is right and tell him that vw have offered 18000 in compensation to cover the tax difference for the life of the car. Tell him you took the 18k and are hoping the tax might not go up after all.

Or that you took the 18k and bought a new different car. :pac:

Make a tin foil hat and give it to him, tell him you heard the government is listening to his thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Just got a letter. In a bit of a pickle. First baby due in December so intended to change the car 3 door a3. Am I screwed, I hear the fix won't be implemented in the a3 until mid summer next year.
    I wonder if they would do a deal on a trade in for a new car etc
    Not good!

Just got a letter. In a bit of a pickle. First baby due in December so intended to change the car 3 door a3. Am I screwed, I hear the fix won't be implemented in the a3 until mid summer next year.
    Not good!

Why are you screwed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you not see the bit about the baby :D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Did you not see the bit about the baby :D

Yeah, but thought , you de-man , new baby and changing the car , way to go bro.

Or are you just ranting and raving with delirium :D

Just ranting!

I can't see a major issue trading in a car that has a fix pending. Some garages wouldn't ever give strong money on the likes of an a3 especially if it's very new at the best of times, and this is a good excuse to justify a relatively low figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Not good!

If you're trading in for another VAG car I doubt that it'll even get mentioned - I mean, why would they? :D

I see vw are doing some discounted offers on extras. Nothing unusual there but surprised to see them on the new passat this early.
    3 year servicing for €161 and tech pack for €161.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

On highline models golf/passat Apr has dropped back to 1.9 % it had gone up to 2.9 just before the sh*t hit the fan ..

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

VAG is going to loose a lot of customers over this.
    People are starting to see VAG for what they are, more bluff than substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

mfceiling wrote: »

Never mind what age he is. He's wrong . Hit him.

• Advertisement

La Fenetre wrote: »

Why?
    I would buy another VAG car tomorrow morning.
    And most likely will buy another when my time comes.
    Why should I not buy one?

Why?

Cos they lied, man. If they lied about this, maybe the interior of your new Passat isn't totally class after all. They just told you that to make you buy it.
    All those airbags they said it has? Do we know for sure?
    And that resale value that you've consistently used to your advantage every 2 years - that's gone now. Last new car you'll ever buy I'd say.

Seriously. buy an ex hire Dacia Duster from an honest car company.

I'm still so outraged by this story.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Letter arrived from VW on Friday. 2009 Audi A6 2.0 TDi 136BHP engine EA189. They'll be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

It didn't put me off, but I bought a genuine high emissions petrol :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cos they lied, man. If they lied about this, maybe the interior of your new Passat isn't totally class after all. They just told you that to make you buy it.
    All those airbags they said it has? Do we know for sure?
    And that resale value that you've consistently used to your advantage every 2 years - that's gone now. Last new car you'll ever buy I'd say.

Seriously. buy an ex hire Dacia Duster from an honest car company.

I'm still so outraged by this story.

Well,
    Spoke with the guy I bought this one from and he gave me a super deal for a new CC in 2017 if I want it.So whatever you think is to my favour appears to be still available as of now.
    Maybe you know different.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Well,
    Spoke with the guy I bought this one from and he gave me a super deal for a new CC in 2017 if I want it.So whatever you think is to my favour appears to be still available as of now.
    Maybe you know different.?

Ah here, there was so much irony in colms post you could take it down the scrapyard for a few bob.

Why?

It won't matter to the felt spec brigade for a while yet, but the middle class wanna be's who knew nothing about cars, and therefore bought VAG in their droves, largely because of the badge, no longer think it as trendy to be seen in a brand that is tarnished. Witness Toyota's fall off in sales after all their world wide recalls. Perceptions and realities don't have to be the same to affect sales. (VAG are perceived as having above average reliability, whereas we all know that's been false for the last 10 or so years) Why else is Volkswagen trying to cut deals on still overpriced cars, they would have never offered any deal or discount on a few months ago ? They'll be even better deals on VW's come the new year.

It won't matter to the felt spec brigade for a while yet, but the middle class wanna be's who knew nothing about cars, and therefore bought VAG in their droves, largely because of the badge, no longer think it as trendy to be seen in a brand that is tarnished. Witness Toyota's fall off in sales after all their world wide recalls. Perceptions and realities don't have to be the same to affect sales. (VAG are perceived as having above average reliability, whereas we all know that's been false for the last 10 or so years) Why else is Volkswagen trying to cut deals on still overpriced cars, they would have never offered any deal or discount on a few months ago ? They'll be even better deals on VW's come the new year.

Could you point out where Toyota stand in the sales volume so far this year in Ireland please?
    I would be curious to see how this fall off looks.

Could you also show us a comparison to VW sales for the same period?
    Thanks

Could you point out where Toyota stand in the sales volume so far this year in Ireland please?
    I would be curious to see how this fall off looks.

Could you also show us a comparison to VW sales for the same period?
    Thanks

I said their market share was down, and here ya go

"Our market share is around 11pc"

"Before the collapse, we had a roughly 15pc market share"

- Steve Tormey, head of Toyota Ireland, Irish Independent - July 2015

and as for VW, the cheaters sales worldwide are down 1.5 % on last year, in a growing market.

• Advertisement

I said their market share was down, and here ya go

"Our market share is around 11pc"

"Before the collapse, we had a roughly 15pc market share"

- Steve Tormey, head of Toyota Ireland, Irish Independent - July 2015

and as for VW, the cheaters sales worldwide are down 1.5 % on last year, in a growing market.

Show ys the number please where Toyota sales are here in comparison to others.
    i am curious to see where everyone is getting the idea that VW are doomed and their sales are going to drop like Autumn leaves.

Advertisement