Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

vectra wrote: »
    Well,
    Spoke with the guy I bought this one from and he gave me a super deal for a new CC in 2017 if I want it.So whatever you think is to my favour appears to be still available as of now.
    Maybe you know different.?

Any quote he's giving you for a car two years down the line is merely appeasing you. It's unlikely to be worth the paper it's written on

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

Show ys the number please where Toyota sales are here in comparison to others.
    i am curious to see where everyone is getting the idea that VW are doomed and their sales are going to drop like Autumn leaves.

They still sell more cars in Ireland than other brands, just about, but their lead and market share is well down. The Irish punter is slowly catching on that that they are not the cars they used to be . . . And I drive a Toyota. I wouldn't buy one next time round though, unless they go back to the form of old, and there is no sign of that yet. I've never seen anyone saying VAG "is doomed", but people are starting to cop on that they are not the badge they claimed to be either, and haven't been for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Any quote he's giving you for a car two years down the line is merely appeasing you. It's unlikely to be worth the paper it's written on

That is your point of view,, You are not the salesman.
    How can you say?

More speculation. :rolleyes:
    La Fenetre wrote: »
    They still sell more cars in Ireland than other brands, just about, but their lead and market share is well down. The Irish punter is slowly catching on that that they are not the cars they used to be . . . And I drive a Toyota. I wouldn't buy one next time round though, unless they go back to the form of old, and there is no sign of that yet. I've never seen anyone saying VAG "is doomed", but people are starting to cop on that they are not the badge they claimed to be either, and haven't been for quite some time.

So whats your point then
    If VW lose out as much as Toyota and still stay top or almost top of the table I don't think it would harm them much,
    Are you in fear of losing a fortune on your VAG car?

So whats your point then
    If VW lose out as much as Toyota and still stay top or almost top of the table I don't think it would harm them much,
    Are you in fear of losing a fortune on your VAG car?

Toyota and VAG are in decline, both in terms of quality and sales. That was and still is the point. I don't own a VAG, I did own several but despite the hype and extra cost, I found them distinctly average, and they cost me quite a but in repairs and maintenance. That's why I bought a Toyota, but I wouldn't buy one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Toyota and VAG are in decline, both in terms of quality and sales. That was and still is the point. I don't own a VAG, I did own several but despite the hype and extra cost, I found them distinctly average, and they cost me quite a but in repairs and maintenance. That's why I bought a Toyota, but I wouldn't buy one now.

That all may be true but it has little to do with the emissions scandal really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

In regards to VAG it has a lot to do with it going forward. Car makers are no longer selling cars, they are selling a lifestyle. Their branding and advertising has nothing to do with the technicals, it's about fun, image and status. They have tarnished the brand, the image and the status can be questioned. It will take some P.R. campaign to stop this affecting them.

It does say a lot about their attitude towards honesty and their customers, and it will affect their sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Would these have been decided before or after the NOX revelations?

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/skoda-superb-crowned-irelands-car-of-the-year-34135030.html

Were there any non-VAG winners?
    Meanwhile, Audi’s A1 was named City Car of the Year at the second annual event held in the Powerscourt Hotel in Co. Wicklow today.
    The Performance Car of the Year was awarded to Volkswagen’s Golf R while, Audi’s Q7 was named the Large SUV of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Show ys the number please where Toyota sales are here in comparison to others.
    i am curious to see where everyone is getting the idea that VW are doomed and their sales are going to drop like Autumn leaves.

1) Brand is likely to suffer damage as a result of this - how much we don't know yet. The difficulty here is that many have seen VW as "the best cars on the road". This opinion will have changed - and it means people are more likely to consider Ford/Hyundai/Renault/Honda and others.

2) In the long term any damage could be reversible - but it depends on what direction the brand takes - for example demonstrating it isn't naughty any more over time. Meaning for example higher focus on hybrids/electric cars etc.

3) The "being dishonest" factor - the VW brand for many years was built on trust - people trusted VW. Now they have got themselves a reputation for being dishonest. That costs feel good factor about buying/driving a VW - and presents opportunities for others. Honda I see are making noise about looking to do better in Europe for example.

In saying that - if they deliver cracking cars - its possible for them to recover but it will take time.

For what its worth - I do think the Golf GTE is cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭cletus

I've been following this thread, and just today, a "suggested post" on facebook was for a solicitors office suggesting that if you own an affected VW, you may be entitled to compensation.

Here's a link to their website

http://www.mchalemuldoon.ie/solicitors-for-you/volkswagen-emissions/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cletus wrote: »
    I've been following this thread, and just today, a "suggested post" on facebook was for a solicitors office suggesting that if you own an affected VW, you may be entitled to compensation.

Here's a link to their website

http://www.mchalemuldoon.ie/solicitors-for-you/volkswagen-emissions/

Gone as bad as the US. "Hi, we are a solicitors and we are very concerned that people aren't suing each other enough. Did someone fart in your direction? You may be entitled to €20k! Remember: If you want money, we'll get it! Just call us and leave the rest up to us, someone will pay!"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1130378333_f-jpg.28991

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Old diesel wrote: »
    1) Brand is likely to suffer damage as a result of this - how much we don't know yet. The difficulty here is that many have seen VW as "the best cars on the road". This opinion will have changed - and it means people are more likely to consider Ford/Hyundai/Renault/Honda and others.

2) In the long term any damage could be reversible - but it depends on what direction the brand takes - for example demonstrating it isn't naughty any more over time. Meaning for example higher focus on hybrids/electric cars etc.

3) The "being dishonest" factor - the VW brand for many years was built on trust - people trusted VW. Now they have got themselves a reputation for being dishonest. That costs feel good factor about buying/driving a VW - and presents opportunities for others. Honda I see are making noise about looking to do better in Europe for example.

In saying that - if they deliver cracking cars - its possible for them to recover but it will take time.

For what its worth - I do think the Golf GTE is cool :)

In a roundabout way I can agree with you here, it's just that some of the posts on here are hilarious with some believing VW group is doomed and others thinking VW owners are going to lose their shirt.

I never for once thought VW was the be all and end all of cars.
    The reason i bought them is because they are what I chose over others due to their looks, They way they drove. Etc.
    I was and am still a very happy customer of theirs.
    I have owned VW based cars since 2008, went through 4 of them in total and really felt I needed a change of direction this time but could find nothing to make me feel at home as the Passat did.
    Possibly if I could have got a firm price and a tst drive in a Jag Xe 2.0 deisel I might have been swayed, but there is always the next time.

I wouldt buy another in a heartbeat.
    I don't know how the dishonesty will affect VW drivers,
    To me it appears to be a fix and all cars will be fine again with no ill effect on their owners.

In a roundabout way I can agree with you here, it's just that some of the posts on here are hilarious with some believing VW group is doomed and others thinking VW owners are going to lose their shirt.

I haven't seen anyone claim that here. Hysteria much ?

Estimated to now cost 30 Billion Euro's LMAO !!! Muppets !

I seriously doubt the majority of people give a toss about emissions after all the amount of people on this Island who still burn solid fuel lol, so I have no doubt January 2016 in Ireland at least will still see VW the best selling along with Ford and Toyota.

What might effect VW are the cheap financing deals, I bet you won't see any 0% interest deals very soon, interest could go way up .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Estimated to now cost 30 Billion Euro's LMAO !!! Muppets !

I seriously doubt the majority of people give a toss about emissions after all the amount of people on this Island who still burn solid fuel lol, so I have no doubt January 2016 in Ireland at least will still see VW the best selling along with Ford and Toyota.

What might effect VW are the cheap financing deals, I bet you won't see any 0% interest deals very soon, interest could go way up .

I think finance will certainly cost more but I think vw as a company will have to swallow that cost cause if they lose the low interelst rate deals via vw bank, I think they will be hit massively in sales.
    I can see the good rates staying but good discount for people buying with cash / other funding.

mickdw wrote: »
    I think finance will certainly cost more but I think vw as a company will have to swallow that cost cause if they lose the low interelst rate deals via vw bank, I think they will be hit massively in sales.
    I can see the good rates staying but good discount for people buying with cash / other funding.

I don't think they will find it hard to sell VW in Ireland at least even with a 4-5% increase in interest, people want the Badge and they will pay for it even if it costs an extra 2 grand. people will easily pay the 5-7 interest which compares well towards other means of financing.

I would have thought that VW are going to come up with better deals in order to shift stock and try to maintain market share in Europe and elsewhere. I don't think that many people are prepared to pay over the odds for them, and accept their lower warranties no matter what.

I would have thought that VW are going to come up with better deals in order to shift stock and try to maintain market share in Europe and elsewhere. I don't think that many people are prepared to pay over the odds for them, and accept their lower warranties no matter what.

People do accept their lower warranties though, they don't care, it's a VW right ? so what can go wrong attitude.

VW will have no problem shifting stock. People are not going to go to a petrol and pay the higher rates of "road tax" and pay a bit higher fuel consumption despite the majority of people not needing a diesel it's the diesel obsession that means most people believe it's saving them loads of money and couldn't care less what comes from the exhaust !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Rates have gone down slnce the scandel started back to 1.9 % on highline golfs passats . Skoda is doing 0 % on fabia rapid octavia and yeti only snag has to be a petrol .. oh extra kit aswell . I think a face lifted golf is due out after march next year ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

noelf wrote: »
    Rates have gone down slnce the scandel started back to 1.9 % on highline golfs passats . Skoda is doing 0 % on fabia rapid octavia and yeti only snag has to be a petrol .. oh extra kit aswell . I think a face lifted golf is due out after march next year ..

Petrol you say...?....mmm....A month ago a Skoda rep told me they would never even order a demo petrol in .......amazing what a month of "Nox" hyperbole can do......bet he'd be easy to talk to now. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Autoweek are reporting that wholesale prices for used Volkswagen diesels are down 13.8% and dropping in the States. Can we expect to see similar drops in Ireland?

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diesel-scandal/used-vw-diesels-prices-nosedive-while-waiting-repair-news

DonJose wrote: »
    Autoweek are reporting that wholesale prices for used Volkswagen diesels are down 13.8% and dropping in the States. Can we expect to see similar drops in Ireland?

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diesel-scandal/used-vw-diesels-prices-nosedive-while-waiting-repair-news

but really, it's certainly a possibility.

DonJose wrote: »

Hardly, Diesel is an obsession in Ireland , if people think it's saving them loads of money they don't care what comes from the exhaust because they don't think all the emissions will effect them.

In other news, this was just in my news feed.

Screenshot_2015_10_27_20_49_48.jpg
    Screenshot_2015_10_27_20_56_06.jpg

In other news, this was just in my news feed.

Screenshot_2015_10_27_20_49_48.jpg
    Screenshot_2015_10_27_20_56_06.jpg

Once the first compo case is won, the floodgates are going to pour open.
    It'll make army deafness look like a picnic.

Once the first compo case is won, the floodgates are going to pour open.
    It'll make army deafness look like a picnic.

Buy why could they get compensation ? for what ? most people don't care about emissions or they wouldn't drive diesel in the first place or burn coal in the fireplace.

"I'm entitled to compo because I thought I was driving a clean green diesel " ? lol cases should be thrown out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Buy why could they get compensation ? for what ? most people don't care about emissions or they wouldn't drive diesel in the first place or burn coal in the fireplace.

"I'm entitled to compo because I thought I was driving a clean green diesel " ? lol cases should be thrown out !

Well if people fake neck injuries in car crashes I am sure as hell they will go to a solicitor and claim they feel they got scammed with the emissions even if they don't care.

It's just one more easy way to make a quick buck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

josip wrote: »
    Volkswagen hasn't been great recently at backing future technologies.

It backed PD and CR turned out to be superior.
    It backed diesel in general and now diesel's limitations are becoming painfully obvious.
    If that trend continues, could Volkswagen's conversion to EV mean that Hydrogen Fuel Cells will turn out to be the superior technology?

Well begor and begash and as soon as VAG do start selling EVs they will be the beshtesht EVs to be had in Ireland and no one will want be seen in any other EVs, sure don't the Germans have the best quality electrons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

5W30 wrote: »
    Well if people fake neck injuries in car crashes I am sure as hell they will go to a solicitor and claim they feel they got scammed with the emissions even if they don't care.

It's just one more easy way to make a quick buck :D

Any way of working a neck-injury-from-emissions angle? Maybe turning around to check for shmoke?? :D

Advertisement