Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

Buy why could they get compensation ? for what ? most people don't care about emissions or they wouldn't drive diesel in the first place or burn coal in the fireplace.

"I'm entitled to compo because I thought I was driving a clean green diesel " ? lol cases should be thrown out !

It doesn't matter what they bought the car for, if people can make a few bob for sueing VW for selling them a car with false and cheated emission figures, and charging their customers thousands for same, they will.

La Fenetre wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what they bought the car for, if people can make a few bob for sueing VW for selling them a car with false and cheated emission figures, and charging their customers thousands for same, they will.

But we don't know if VW Nox emissions were higher than the Euro 5 regulations in Europe ?

The U.S has far higher standards for air quality than Europe.

The E.U seems to think that Nox is ok and being taxed on Co2 is an utter joke !

Well begor and begash and as soon as VAG do start selling EVs they will be the beshtesht EVs to be had in Ireland and no one will want be seen in any other EVs, sure don't the Germans have the best quality electrons.

VW sell the E-Golf and the Leaf is by far the most popular Ev, the E-Golf is expensive and I would certainly not call it a better car than a Leaf.

The 30 Kwh leaf while more expensive will still be cheaper than the E-Golf while providing about 20 miles more range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

VW sell the E-Golf and the Leaf is by far the most popular Ev, the E-Golf is expensive and I would certainly not call it a better car than a Leaf.

The 30 Kwh leaf while more expensive will still be cheaper than the E-Golf while providing about 20 miles more range.

I'd like to to see the reaction if you tried to order an electric car in any VAG showroom six months ago.

"uh oh... this guy doesn't want a diesel, a sure sign of a lunatic"
    panic-button.jpg

• Advertisement

First quarterly loss in 15 years.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/world/volkswagen-slumps-to-first-quarterly-loss-in-at-least-15-years-34148391.html

To be fair, I think the Chinese market has caused some of this and we all know their stance on emissions - "tis only smoke like!!", so it's not all down to #dieselgate

I'd like to to see the reaction if you tried to order an electric car in any VAG showroom six months ago.

It will be the same reaction today because I am serious when I say most people won't care about emissions, it's a VW and that will do thanks !

people don't see the money being spent on diesel because they throw it away in cash every week, there are no bills they see only the list price of the car but compared to a 2.0L DSG Golf it's not that bad.

There's not going to be many VW E-Golf's sold in Ireland in 2016 i would be very surprised, good car and I would like to see a lot more on the road but they are pricey but the fuel is very cheap.

Still 450 PM 3.9% interest is a good deal for the basic version,

1,000 for the efficient heat pump (highly advisable) Standard in Leaf SVE

450 Pm for the E-Golf isn't bad but you would want the heat pump

Comes with LED headlights which look great on the Leaf, nice clean white light.

Led Tail lights.

They don't tell you how many Kms is included or the deposit all to get you to the showroom.

But I pay 450 PM with 5K down for 25 K Kms per year on the top spec leaf which has a lot of kit.

One seriously great option lacking in the Leaf is Auto Cruise, I used it in my brothers A4 DSG and at first it scared the crap out of me but it works well particularly on motorways.

I don't know why it's not a more popular option given the price, it should be standard on all cars.

Still the leaf has the upgraded battery in 2016 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mickdw wrote: »
    That being said, if a current owner could put together a snap shot on pricing and could demonstrate that used values have dropped, they would easily make a case for compensation. I not saying they have dropped but it's possible in the coming months. No doubt vw will keep advertised prices up but they won't be able to dictate the market price.

I think they'll be ok in Ireland as the affected engines were principally installed in cars sold during the downturn, ie a period of relatively low new car sales. VAG predominated during that period but there is/will continue to be a shortage of used cars which will keep prices up. THe previous premium might disappear but overall demand and a lack of stock will not see a precipice in car prices.

The real issue, imo, is the avaiability of finance for new car sales and investment into new models. THe CEO has today acknowledged that the 6.7bn provision is just the start and VW Bank continues to have restrictions on Central Bank funding. VAG has focused on VW Bank sales financing in recent years to great effect. They don't have any short term issues as they have sold their 20% stake in Suzuki and their LeasePlan stake is on the block. LIkewise, they could refloat a significant portion of Porsche while retaining control. As I've said before, I suspect that there will be much reduced future investment so little likelihood of frivolous things such as a new Bugatti and more sweating of existing tech and designs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

First quarterly loss in 15 years.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/world/volkswagen-slumps-to-first-quarterly-loss-in-at-least-15-years-34148391.html

To be fair, I think the Chinese market has caused some of this and we all know their stance on emissions - "tis only smoke like!!", so it's not all down to #dieselgate

bit of this doesn't really help sales over there either

How do we know it was a a VW ?

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    bit of this doesn't really help sales over there either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_mTWqVepA
    In fairness that's just payback for all the incendiary devices masquerading as half decent quality electronics that the Chinese sell over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Unless there is proof the NEDC test was cheated and then proof that any resulting fix resulted in material changes to performance or fuel ecomony , there will be absolutely no compensation in Europe via a legal route. No proof of any of this has been advanced as yet in Europe

Not to mention that in Europe , in most jurisdictions there is no " class action" suites. You have to individually sue.

Nope, not going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

How do we know it was a a VW ?

?

Cheap German crap, serves him right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

BoatMad wrote: »
    Unless there is proof the NEDC test was cheated and then proof that any resulting fix resulted in material changes to performance or fuel ecomony , there will be absolutely no compensation in Europe via a legal route. No proof of any of this has been advanced as yet in Europe

Not to mention that in Europe , in most jurisdictions there is no " class action" suites. You have to individually sue.

Can investors not sue due to company malfeasance causing the share price to decline?

As if Chinese stuff doesn't burn !

As if Chinese stuff doesn't burn !

German crap burns , Chinese crap explodes !! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭josip

gctest50 wrote: »
    ?

I think Mad_Lad asked in respect of the first movie.
    The movie you posted seems to be of a different incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,385 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

BoatMad wrote: »

Given that you appear to have great knowledge of all aspects of this fiasco, can you tell us exactly why vw have written to every owner with these engines in EU and what exactly they have issued apology for and also what they are hoping to fix.
    From your posts, it would appear that there is no issue whatsoever in EU, that the fix that is not needed will not have any effect and therefore no performance effects and finally it would appear that you are aware of what is involved in the fix seeing as you have formed an opinion that compensation won't be forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,467 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pippip wrote: »

Only because they set aside 7 billion to be fair.
    Making a loss of 3 billion isn't that bad in that context. It kind of implies they'd make profits of 4 billion 4 times a year otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I think the whole thing is a crock of crap to be honest. Once a fix comes and everyone will be happy they will forget all about this and move on to the next manufacturer that has an issue.
    Like a pack of women in a hairdressers.. :D

I guarantee no one cares about this higher Nox emissions and won't effect a single VW sale in Ireland and this is even more worrying, the fact most people don't care, people will still buy diesels and not buy other cars to make car manufacturers switch to alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

the fact most people don't care, people will still buy diesels and not buy other cars to make car manufacturers switch to alternatives.

That is actually very true. Scandal or not, diesel isn't good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I guarantee no one cares about this higher Nox emissions and won't effect a single VW sale in Ireland and this is even more worrying, the fact most people don't care, people will still buy diesels and not buy other cars to make car manufacturers switch to alternatives.

And I bet most of those same people will still burn smokey coal etc. in their fires. Or Use smokey Oil heating
    or get products that must be delivered by smokey diesel trucks/vans
    or go no holidays where they have to use a smokey Plane.

Where does it end|?

vectra wrote: »
    And I bet most of those same people will still burn smokey coal etc. in their fires. Or Use smokey Oil heating
    or get products that must be delivered by smokey diesel trucks/vans
    or go no holidays where they have to use a smokey Plane.

Where does it end|?

Small changes made by everyone can make a big difference.

I've a well insulated house and so far get away with the oil on about 1 hr a day max.

Changed to EV.

I hope to get solar PV in the future, when we move and have more space.

Diesel in passenger cars and vans simply was only due to high taxes on fuel, it wasn't necessary.

it ends at irreparable damage to the earth and it's occupants.

it's very easy to get caught up in the "sure everyone is at it" mindset and tbh i don't really care too much for the Polar Bears as Clarkson would say, but it does have to be considered.

smokey coal has recently been banned, building regs have made the need for oil/ solid fuel heating in new houses to be dramatically reduced to the point of near non existence, so it's only right we should be trying to follow suit with cars. it sounds cliche, but it's about protecting the planet for our children and such.

innovation has gotten the human race to the point it's at today and if something's not working, or if something is poisoning us, we must aim to stop it.

edit: snap!

i must point out, my car emits over 200g/km and the house we are renting is around 150 years old so not very efficient, but i can certainly see where money and the planet could be saved.

I noticed a substantial difference with the new windows and doors and the insulation in the walls and attic.

If it's sunny during the day I need very little heat, if for the night. Once the temps go below 0 for long enough then I need some heat but not a lot.

My next problem is an inefficient heating system, the boiler is about 70% efficient compared to 90 odd % for a modern one, then the lack of proper controls and individual room stats mean I have to rely on the much less but still effective normal radiator stat valve.

When the rads cool off the heating stays on and off until the time cuts off or I simply turn it off.

SO many Irish homes have no radiator stats at all and the heating is either on or off and this wastes a huge amount of oil.

If Irish people could burn Coal in their cars they would if they could and thought it was cheaper, so many people here don't even see the value of good tyres and buy cheap Chinese crap or remoulds !

We'll change to EV when car makers themselves stop making diesels and produce longer range electrics and they'll do this simply because it will be too expensive to make diesels. That day isn;t too far into the future and could happen as early as 2017 ? when Euro 6 regulations come into effect but probably 2018 before they have to comply.

After this it's AD Blue and that is expensive and can have issues, I don't think they will implement this into passenger cars in a hurry !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Flew through the NCT yesterday with my toxic VAG, was picking up the pass cert at the desk and noticed two NCT boys pointing out how low the emissions results were. One of them (a foreign national) said he's certain the Co2 output is rigged since he consistently see's VAG cars outperform other makes on the emissions test.

Also, how are those guys even alive doing that job day in day out in a closed space with engines running all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Flew through the NCT yesterday with my toxic VAG, was picking up the pass cert at the desk and noticed two NCT boys pointing out how low the emissions results were. One of them (a foreign national) said he's certain the Co2 output is rigged since he consistently see's VAG cars outperform other makes on the emissions test.

Also, how are those guys even alive doing that job day in day out in a closed space with engines running all the time.

CO2 isn't measured during the NCT emissions test, do you mean CO? If so, meh - I have a sixteen-year-old yoke with 160,000 miles on it that produces no carbon monoxide at all during high idle.

• Advertisement

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    so, how are those guys even alive doing that job day in day out in a closed space with engines running all the time.

i'm sure the exhaust gas analysers have extractors on them and then after the rolling road the car is switched off.

Advertisement