Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Flew through the NCT yesterday with my toxic VAG, was picking up the pass cert at the desk and noticed two NCT boys pointing out how low the emissions results were. One of them (a foreign national) said he's certain the Co2 output is rigged since he consistently see's VAG cars outperform other makes on the emissions test.

scarlet for them :pac: real facepalm stuff, "they must be really clean or lying - just look at these test* results"

* from a test with no relevance to CO2, NOX, or presence of particulate reduction systems.

ta new 1.6 diesel something.

but my 02 car, emitting 200g/km over my 24k miles a year of driving emits 7680 kgs of Co2. my motor tax €640.

Are you basing that on the NEDC test cycle ? because that is a joke and real life emissions will be far higher, including that of Nox which is real pollution !

Remember Co2 is not a pollutant !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Are you basing that on the NEDC test cycle ? because that is a joke and real life emissions will be far higher, including that of Nox which is real pollution !

Remember Co2 is not a pollutant !

basing it on what t'internet says. i'd say after 155k miles, it's probably a bit less efficient than when new anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

"As it currently stands, the value of all affected VW TDIs registered in California are effectively zero, as they’re now considered to be “non-compliant” in the eyes of the state’s strict emissions law, and as such cannot be re-sold"

On Forbes website...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2015/09/23/dieselgate-what-vw-tdi-owners-should-know/

Poor sods :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

I received a phone call last week from a main vw dealer asking me if I was interested in selling my 2011 R line tdi saying they can offer the best cash price or best trade in value as there short on these types of cars.Now I'm wording has anyone else received these calls?is it down to recall about to happen and vw are trying to get the cars back or what's going on?
    as I was away on hoilday a I don't know the full story yet and said I would ask here before I ring them back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i'd say they have a customer looking for a 2011 R-Line and they don't have any so a plucky salesman is hoping to turn 0 sales into 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I guarantee no one cares about this higher Nox emissions and won't effect a single VW sale in Ireland and this is even more worrying, the fact most people don't care, people will still buy diesels and not buy other cars to make car manufacturers switch to alternatives.
    But... try buying a petrol, Focus size, automatic* in Ireland.

*need auto, no choice. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    One of them (a foreign national) said he's certain the Co2 output is rigged since he consistently see's VAG cars outperform other makes on the emissions test.

Thanks for the extra detail

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

mickdw wrote: »
    Given that you appear to have great knowledge of all aspects of this fiasco, can you tell us exactly why vw have written to every owner with these engines in EU and what exactly they have issued apology for and also what they are hoping to fix.
    From your posts, it would appear that there is no issue whatsoever in EU, that the fix that is not needed will not have any effect and therefore no performance effects and finally it would appear that you are aware of what is involved in the fix seeing as you have formed an opinion that compensation won't be forthcoming.

You're question is an excellent one. Just what are VW trying to fix in Europe. None has stated the cars aren't compliant and no one has stated what vw are specifically fixing other then removing so called defeat software.

I smell a pig in a poke

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

vectra wrote: »
    I think the whole thing is a crock of crap to be honest. Once a fix comes and everyone will be happy they will forget all about this and move on to the next manufacturer that has an issue.
    Like a pack of women in a hairdressers.. :D

Well that escalated quickly...

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/news/2015/1029/738317-possoble-recall-of/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

i'd say they have a customer looking for a 2011 R-Line and they don't have any so a plucky salesman is hoping to turn 0 sales into 2.

Ya I know we get a call about every 6 months from salesman trying to sell a new passat and trade in a 2012 one we have here.
    He gives the usual speech that he has a customer looking for a good low mile car and he thought of us...... I guess it's just a tactic they use when sitting around on a dull Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

josip wrote: »

Saw that today
    i would feel a lot safer in my VW than a zafira right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Explain why in the US you can buy a new v8 5.7 litre petrol guzzler that does 12 mpg yet a VW diesel that does 60 mpg needs to cheat to pass an emissions test. And why Europe loves everything diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Explain why in the US you can buy a new v8 5.7 litre petrol guzzler that does 12 mpg yet a VW diesel that does 60 mpg needs to cheat to pass an emissions test. And why Europe loves everything diesel.
    Redneck Protectionism and Teutonic Protectionism

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

Because zee Germans had all the diesel technology and lobbied politicians for years in Europe to ensure diesel was put on a pedestal, and it worked, and is making them a mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

America actually has some quite strict emission rules- but they dont really care about co2. They seem quite hard on smog causing gases ect .
    Also most of the huge gas guzzlers are trucks and suvs and are largely exempt . ( major loophole) . The biggest selling "car " in the states is a ford truck .
    Dunno wether most of the emissions are per volume of the engine rather than per mile of driving .....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

W123 240D, chipfat. Sorted.

The emmisions from that is bad for the cholestrol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Theres a myth , that was never backed by science that diesel is greener. its not

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cummins make cng/lpg engines for their trucks. That is very friendly to environment .
    http://www.cumminswestport.com/compressed-natural-gas

Lots of them in service in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Volkswagen diesel prices plunge 16% according to Kelley Blue Book (article is from October 22nd). I'm in the market for a second hand car and if I could get 16% off a VW diesel, I'd snap it up. Will the Irish garages who have VW diesels in stock start reducing the price or has this scandal blown over most Irish buyers heads.

http://247wallst.com/autos/2015/10/22/volkswagen-diesel-prices-plunge-16/

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/price-of-vw-diesel-cars-drop-nearly-16-since-emissions-scandal-kbb-2015-10-21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

DonJose wrote: »
    Volkswagen diesel prices plunge 16% according to Kelley Blue Book (article is from October 22nd). I'm in the market for a second hand car and if I could get 16% off a VW diesel, I'd snap it up. Will the Irish garages who have VW diesels in stock start reducing the price or has this scandal blown over most Irish buyers heads.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/price-of-vw-diesel-cars-drop-nearly-16-since-emissions-scandal-kbb-2015-10-21

No its only the beginning. Remember dealers don't set the prices as such. They simply respond to market demands. If the public don't fancy paying the old price for a veedub then dealers won't allow the same level of part exchange that they'd previously achieve. Knock on affect is cheaper VWs which strangely enough will probably lead to greater demand and then off we go again.

But back to the start of the question. For sure dealers are going to play on current owners fears when making a P/X offer, as are used buyers. Simple fact is VW prices are on a serious down ..... for now ;-)

Just proves what I said is true, people don't care about Nox emissions !

Shame on you !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

What that means is a vw is now worth less as a trade in, but they won't be charging you less if you try to buy one. The Irish will pay anything to have a plastic VAG badge on the front of the car, no matter what they do, and dealers know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 16% drop is for cars in the USA though. Unrelated to prices here.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 16% drop is for cars in the USA though. Unrelated to prices here.

They are dropping here. Not by as much but they are dropping. Also keep an eye on VW Group registrations on the last day of the month. I'd say that'll be quite telling.

They are dropping here. Not by as much but they are dropping. Also keep an eye on VW Group registrations on the last day of the month. I'd say that'll be quite telling.

Guaranteed Irish sales won't be effected !

As long as people here think diesel is saving them loads of money and as long as the dealers keep pressing people and talking them into buying diesel nothing will change.

As long as people here think diesel is saving them loads of money and as long as the dealers keep pressing people and talking them into buying diesel nothing will change.

But they're already being affected. New registrations (actual sales versus pre reg) are down, dealers have confirmed to me (I'm in the trade) that they've had cancelled orders and traders are being more sceptical about VW valuations. Just ask anyone in the trade and they'll tell you that. Will it blow over? Yeah probably but it is already affecting prices.

But they're already being affected. New registrations (actual sales versus pre reg) are down, dealers have confirmed to me (I'm in the trade) that they've had cancelled orders and traders are being more sceptical about VW valuations. Just ask anyone in the trade and they'll tell you that. Will it blow over? Yeah probably but it is already affecting prices.

Well that's good news if it gets people into petrol or electric cars because this is a real problem with all diesel cars. I bet 100% of all diesels on European roads would fail any real life Nox test.

So rather than discounting diesels people should be encouraged into the smaller much better petrol engines or the electric.

Dealers are a lot to blame for this diesel frenzy, apart form the German brands, you want into most dealers in Ireland and they have no petrol options on the price lists and tell you that petrol engines are not available, yes you read that right "not available"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

On both of those counts. None of them really apply to why I buy diesel.

Call it what you will but I can assure come resale time my diesel car will have a much better chance of selling and getting close to asking price than any petrol or battery car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just to echo what other posters have said who work in the trade, I have a family in sales and he had said the same thing regarding cancelled orders. Another interesting aspect however is a UK based consultant who he worked with recently stated that there is a large amount of VW salespeople jumping ship in the UK. So while the brand may recover, the network of VW employees would also have to recover if the momentum gains ground.

Advertisement