Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Oops. Must have slipped VW's mind to mention the 3.0 TDi engines were also fitted with a "defeat device".

http://uk.businessinsider.com/epa-volkswagen-may-have-cheated-emission-tests-with-another-engine-2015-11?r=US&IR=T

Jesus, there is no end to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Oops. Must have slipped VW's mind to mention the 3.0 TDi engines were also fitted with a "defeat device".

http://uk.businessinsider.com/epa-volkswagen-may-have-cheated-emission-tests-with-another-engine-2015-11?r=US&IR=T

Once again it's the average Joe who gets hit.
    When will some of the luxury models be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would these be fitted to the cars used during Ireland's hosting of the EU presidency in 2013 :)

Diesel is a tiny market in the U.S so why did VW bother with their so called clean diesel ? fuel over there is a fraction of the cost it is here so who'd be bothered driving an engine suited for a tractor or van ?

I bet they're regretting it now.

Shame the E.U will continue to promote diesel in the E.U as some kind of planet saving fuel and allow manufacturers away with higher Nox limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cml387 wrote: »
    I drop into this thread sometimes (being an affected owner) to see if there's anything new. I see we've moved on to solar houses now.:rolleyes:

It's all been sorted. Apparently we all have to buy Leafs now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I drop into this thread sometimes (being an affected owner) to see if there's anything new. I see we've moved on to solar houses now.:rolleyes:

From what I am reading the thread is being overpowered by non vag owners who are not remotely affected by this. :D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Haven't electric Ireland stopped feed-in tariffs for nearly a year now?

Yes, seemingly there are new plans for 2016 if I remember correctly.

We need some kind of Government subsidy for installation too, god knows we shell out enough billions for foreign energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

vectra wrote: »
    who are not remotely affected by this.

cough cough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

cough cough

+1 plus the fact that Govt's will probably use this 'scandal' to introduce more stringent regulations on emissions which will impact on all drivers ... never waste a good crisis and all that ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Yes, seemingly there are new plans for 2016 if I remember correctly.

We need some kind of Government subsidy for installation too, god knows we shell out enough billions for foreign energy.

Subsidy? Bloody communists!

• Advertisement

cough cough

Bag owner though that is not affected
    YET. !
    The way things are going it might not be long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

mickdw wrote: »
    Jesus, there is no end to this.

Actually merely the EPA have claimed its present in those cars, but VAG has strenuously denied these larger engines are so fitted.

It's only an allegation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

From what I am reading the thread is being overpowered by non vag owners who are not remotely affected by this. :D

We should start posting all over the EV forum stating how nice our turf burners are..:D

non vag owners,what is a vag owner , I know that VW make cars, Audi make cars and VAG is a corporate holding body

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

BoatMad wrote: »
    non vag owners,what is a vag owner , I know that VW make cars, Audi make cars and VAG is a corporate holding body

I suspect a VAG owner is a person who owns a VW, Audi, Seat or Skoda

But I read recently there are about 12 brands under VAG in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Anyone else getting bombarded by facebook by this crowd: snip

Second thought not sure if I should post that. Everytime I go to facebook it pops up with this advertisement from Solicitors in Ireland. Just wondering is anyone else getting this?

They are saying they are opening up class action suit against VW? not sure what the actual case would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, my facebook feed is full of various solicitors looking for people to get in touch. I shouldn't have clicked the first one to post it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Do you mean that in a "actually sellotape is a brand name, adhesive tape is what you should have asked for" way, or do you mean that Audi, Seat, Skoda can sue VW for providing them with illegal engine/software combos - seeing as they are not all the one company like?

So,
    If the Corporate company ( VAG ) went bankrupt and was never again to be heard of.
    where would the Car manufacturers under the group name be?

Or are you just acting the mickey ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

From what I am reading the thread is being overpowered by non vagcertain leaf owners who are not remotely affected by this. :D

Fyp :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Having made a sarky contribution, I should probably say what I think, which is this..

I'm perfectly happy with my car the way it is,and it passes all European regulatory standards. No future standards will apply retrospectively, it would be politically impossible.
    I have absolutely no intention of submitting my car to a botch job of retrofitting bits which weren't originally intended, possibly carried out by a hastily-trained jobsearch person.
    However if Volkswagen wish to compensate me (say 10,000 euro, I'm not greedy) I will reluctantly go along with this.

So,
    If the Corporate company ( VAG ) went bankrupt and was never again to be heard of.
    where would the Car manufacturers under the group name be?

Or are you just acting the mickey ? :pac:

If VAG went broke, VW would be bought up by some Chinese consortium no doubt. The name is too valuable to disappear.

If VAG went broke, VW would be bought up by some Chinese consortium no doubt. The name is too valuable to disappear.

Vw maybe
    Then it would no longer be a vw
    Would they also buy the rest of the group?

I dont think so.

Having made a sarky contribution, I should probably say what I think, which is this..

I'm perfectly happy with my car the way it is,and it passes all European regulatory standards. No future standards will apply retrospectively, it would be politically impossible.
    I have absolutely no intention of submitting my car to a botch job of retrofitting bits which weren't originally intended, possibly carried out by a hastily-trained jobsearch person.
    However if Volkswagen wish to compensate me (say 10,000 euro, I'm not greedy) I will reluctantly go along with this.

The sanest post here

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be rebranded as "Vee Douber You"
    :D

Vw maybe
    Then it would no longer be a vw
    Would they also buy the rest of the group?

I dont think so.

It would still be VW, just not owned by the VAG group, same buildings, same people, just owned by some faceless business consortium in China. Whether they would still "really" be VW is a different matter. I argue they would, just like Ferrari is still Ferrari, even though owned by Fiat. Nobody would dare argue they're Fiats.
    As for the rest if the VAG group, who knows. Can't see Audi or Porsche disappear. Same factory and staff, different owners. Go bust, let everyone else take the hit, come back under new ownership. Its not like a cornershop going out if business.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Volvo would be a better example,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

VW: 800,000 Cars Could Have False CO2 Levels

Volkswagen says it has found "inconsistencies" in carbon dioxide emission levels which could affect around 800,000 cars.

The German car making giant said the "unexplained" anomalies found by an internal probe raised a new problem that could cost it around €2bn (£1.4bn).

It has already been badly hit by the discovery that it cheated on US tests for nitrogen oxide emissions.

http://news.sky.com/story/1581190/vw-800000-cars-could-have-false-co2-levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

VW emissions scandal, the gift that keeps on giving!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/aa35f24c-8259-11e5-a01c-8650859a4767.html#ixzz3qSZWTEUf

Volkswagen’s woes deepened on Tuesday as the German carmaker admitted it had found problems involving carbon dioxide emissions on 800,000 cars — including some with petrol engines — at a possible cost to the company of about €2bn.
    The problems are a different issue from the scandal VW has been facing since September over the excess Nitrogen Oxide emissions from up to 11m vehicles worldwide fitted with software designed to cheat at emissions tests. Carbon Dioxide emissions depend on a vehicle’s fuel consumption, not its emissions-control systems.

However, the company said it had discovered the issue during “comprehensive investigations” it had promised following the emergence of the NOx cheating scandal.
    The statement gave no information about where the affected vehicles were sold, the brands affected or whether they involved diesel or petrol engines.
    “During the course of internal investigations, unexplained inconsistencies were found when determining Type Approval CO2 levels,” a company statement said. “Based on present knowledge around 800,000 vehicles from the Volkswagen Group are affected.”
    However, the company told the Financial Times that the vehicles affected were “mostly diesels,” although for the first time petrol engines were involved in the scandal. The vehicles’ emissions were understated and fuel economy overstated.
    The vehicles all have 1.4 litre engines — they are mostly VW Polos and Golfs but also some Audi, Seat and Skoda cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

And there's this from a German source: http://www.dw.com/en/vw-emissions-scandal-deepens/a-18824664

The bad news keeps piling up for Germany's largest automaker. On Tuesday, Volkswagen said hundreds of thousands of its vehicles were irregularly emitting carbon dioxide.

The company is already embroiled in its biggest scandal ever after admitting it had installed software designed to thwart emissions tests in diesel cars sold around the world.

Until now, the ever-widening scandal has centered around nitrogen oxide emissions. But the new revelations, which the company said had been identified in around 800,000 cars, involve carbon dioxide emissions.

The Wolfsburg, Germany-based concern said it estimated the findings could cost it an additional 2 billion euros ($2.2 billion), on top of the 6.2 billion euros that it has already put aside to cover penalties and legal fees stemming from its deception over diesel emissions.

"VW's top management will immediately start a dialogue with responsible authorities regarding the consequences of these findings," VW said in a statement.

VW sales hit by cheating scandal

News of the possibly false CO2 emissions came on the same day that several major automakers announced one of their strongest months of sales in the US market in over a decade - all except Volkswagen .

General Motors, Ford and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles all registered their best October in 11 years. Even Toyota, No. 3 in US sales, logged an all-time record for the month.

But Volkswagen, the world's second-largest carmaker, said 30,387 people in the US had bought VW cars in October, a meager 0.24 percent year-on-year rise.

Shares in Volkswagen have plummeted since the scandal broke on Sept. 18. On Tuesday, those stocks opened 5.1 percent lower before paring their losses and closing down 1.5 percent at 111 euros.

Investors were put off after US regulators leveled charges against VW subsidiaries Audi and Porsche , which the regulators said also used illegal mechanisms in their cars' engines to cheat on pollution controls.

Advertisement