Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Anyone have any news from Volkswagen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

josip wrote: »
    Anyone have any news from Volkswagen?

Independent has the story now.

This translates into 1000 euros for me, as we all know dollars equates to Euros in most cases.
    So to all you petrolheads nah nah nah I've got 1000 euros and you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

cml387 wrote: »

This translates into 1000 euros for me, as we all know dollars equates to Euros in most cases.
    So to all you petrolheads nah nah nah I've got 1000 euros and you don't.

Ah come one, €1000 to de-tune my car. I'll pass on that, thanks. Half of it is dealer credit too, so it's only €500 "cash". 3 years roadside could be beneficial though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

cml387 wrote: »

So to all you petrolheads nah nah nah I've got 1000 euros and you don't.[/quote

Can't see them doing the same in Ireland. VW looks like having a boom year here so brand confidence is very high. Why pay out when there's no need.:(. My car will need both software and hardware updated, that's the best were going to get here.

vectra wrote: »
    Oh no,
    You got that totally wrong about who is trolling
    I drive a VW car and have concerns regarding this issue so have a very keen interest in what is being discussed regarding the topic.

Remind me again what you drive again and what vested interest you have in it?

really? this day last week, you weren't concerned, two weeks ago you had no concerns either. maybe i've missed something, but you certainly had me under the impression you weren't concerned.
    Thats all very fine.
    I am not saying that I am overly concerned at this moment in time. But should ths co2 system change and my car is dragged into it, i don't see how VW could judge a value on my car as it had about 1k kms on it prior to this fiasco.
    Now standing with 3k on it.

Your thoughts?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97614261&postcount=1623
    It will be grand lads.
    Come back here in 12 months time and post on this thread again how it has affected VW sales etc.
    I can assure you it will be stale news and normal service will have resumed,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97576055&postcount=1469

daily, i drive a 2002 Celica.

my vested interest? being a human being on this planet. when i hear in the news that nearly half a million vehicles are spewing far more cancerous gasses into the atmosphere that i live in than they should, naturally, it arouses my curiosity.

i wasn't aware that i needed to own a VW to comment on this thread, my understanding was that once i was a boards.ie member i could post anywhere once i kept within the rules.

i'm not anti diesel or pro petrol, nor do i have any agenda, certainly not against any other poster(s). i just enjoy a good discussion about cars. cars, cars, cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

really? this day last week, you weren't concerned, two weeks ago you had no concerns either. maybe i've missed something, but you certainly had me under the impression you weren't concerned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97614261&postcount=1623

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97576055&postcount=1469

daily, i drive a 2002 Celica.

my vested interest? being a human being on this planet. when i hear in the news that nearly half a million vehicles are spewing far more cancerous gasses into the atmosphere that i live in than they should, naturally, it arouses my curiosity.

i wasn't aware that i needed to own a VW to comment on this thread, my understanding was that once i was a boards.ie member i could post anywhere once i kept within the rules.

i'm not anti diesel or pro petrol, nor do i have any agenda, certainly not against any other poster(s). i just enjoy a good discussion about cars. cars, cars, cars.

I think you will find one of my comments you posted above was made prior to when the co2 problem came along.
    In the other one where you failed you highlight you will notice that i did in fact indicate where I would be concerned.

Do you not have a diesel astra anymore?

Concerned about the cars spewing crap into the environment?

Does your car run on fresh air?

Every car owner is responsible for that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Now you'll have to take my word on this because I'm not going to mention names but I spoke with two friends today, obviously in the trade and both of them said they're not taking VWs in part exchange (for 2016) until this is resolved. I asked would they not take them even at a price and ones lads answer was "No chance. Far too big of a mess waiting for me to sort"

So there it is. Real impact. So what! Two dealers you might say. If they're saying it then plenty more are too. Never heard of that before with any brand though.

Interesting. I'd assume a statement like that was coming from a main dealer of a non German marque. Can't see a small scale independent caring too much and the VAG brand will have to save face

It's probably the element of the unknown for the dealer. VW diesels were probably one of themost saleable cars in Ireland for the last decade, you knew everybody wanted them and you knew you could ask and hold out for strong money.

Maybe dealers are concerned that prospective customers will be looking to beat them down hard in terms of price so are a little unsure of what trade in values to offer until this whole situation steadys out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I spoke with two friends today, obviously in the trade and both of them said they're not taking VWs in part exchange (for 2016) until this is resolved.
    Were they indy, VW main dealer or non-VW main dealer?

kbannon wrote: »
    Were they indy, VW main dealer or non-VW main dealer?

Sorry. two main dealers, non VW.

• Advertisement

Maybe dealers are concerned that prospective customers will be looking to beat them down hard in terms of price so are a little unsure of what trade in values to offer until this whole situation steadys out.

It was more the potential hassle than anything. You could end up with all sorts of issues after reselling it and they just didn't fancy what ever might be involved. Taking cars back in for work, loan cars involved for customers, how long will it take, what's actually involved. They're certainly not adverse to taking them in once there is a definitive solution to the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

That's a point I mentioned previously, nobody is really going to want to have a stack of VW's that need to get sent for what may be major work.
    It's probably a looming headache for fleet owners.
    Maybe R.O.R or someone can comment to that effect.

A dealer would likely be stuck with them until the recall was done. It's a liability holding an illiquid asset.

Just my 2 cents anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

so , looks like VW owners are screwed, oh well ........

I'm watching an episode of Top Gear now where they're doing the VW advert.
    According to the two ad men, truth and honesty are important for any VW advert.

Just shows how advertising is BS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

BoatMad wrote: »

Screwed if they want to trade in in the next few months. We'll see what happens then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭vectra

BoatMad wrote: »

How did you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

(slightly) Off-topic petrol-diesel-ev-cost of ownership posts moved to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

colm_mcm wrote: »
    (slightly) Off-topic petrol-diesel-ev-cost of ownership posts moved to [url=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057520458[/url]

That must have been a fantastic job to move 24 pages worth:p

I had to take the laptop out of retirement to do it.
    It wasn't any more interesting reading it the second time.
    :)

TBH she thinks I'm doing up wedding invites. It was a welcome distraction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

(slightly) Off-topic petrol-diesel-ev-cost of ownership posts moved to this thread

That thread seems to be named 404, not found.
    Or is it locked already and people banned? :p

• Advertisement

Oops. left out the old www 's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Setting Dieselgate aside for a moment, AFP and Reuters have run a couple of stories today on the 800k cars with CO2 irregularities; stories are that the EUbhas given them 10 days to explain what the irregularities and a separate report that they have set aside €2bn to compensate the owners for the tax differentials. This is an average of 2.5k per car but I'll guess that a lot of it is admin and compo and the actual tax components are much smaller. I can't see any resolution of this issue not being EU wide notwithstanding VW Ireland's silence when compared with VW UK.

Petrol car owners will clearly receive some too.

Go back a few pages, this co2 story is around a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Go back a few pages, this co2 story is around a while now.

I know the CO2 story is around for a while; the news stories I have quoted are from today, ie they are developments in the story.

Irish Competition Commission to investigate Volkswagen scandal

Can't see this coming to much; maybe a strongly worded letter saying that they are displeased with VW :rolleyes:

kbannon wrote: »
    Irish Competition Commission to investigate Volkswagen scandal

Can't see this coming to much; maybe a strongly worded letter saying that they are displeased with VW :rolleyes:

Sure it'll all blow over. Be gone by Christmas :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Vw have issued a full list of the 2016 models with incorrect co2 and mpg.

LINK

One interesting extract is it may not be illegal in the EU.

VW emissions cheat software may not be illegal in EU tests
    We now know that a loophole in European emissions testing laws may have allowed VW to legally fit their cars with 'defeat device' software that manipulates emissions in tests. According to the minutes from a 2012 meeting of the EU type approval authorities: “A manufacturer could specify a special setting that is not normally used for everyday driving.”

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/92893/vw-emissions-scandal-2016-cars-with-incorrect-mpg-and-co2-ratings-revealed

The same competition authority that allowed Denis o briefs topaz to buy statoil because they conveniently couldn't do their paperwork on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Looks like VW are preparing for the worst. I'm starting to see them as a much more fragile company than when this all started.

Volkswagen's emissions scandal won't be a cheap or quick problem to fix. In addition to having to repair millions vehicles, the automaker will likely face hefty government fines and the possible repercussions of lawsuits. To make sure there's enough money in the account to pay for all of that, VW will reportedly apply for the equivalent of $21.5 billion in short-term loans, according to two anonymous insiders in an Automotive News report citing Bloomberg.

VW will meet with around a dozen banks as soon as Nov. 16 to line up the money before the end of the year. The cash won't be necessary immediately but will be a buffer for expected upcoming costs, the insiders claim. "It is perfectly normal that we are in a constructive ongoing dialog," the automaker said in a statement, according to Automotive News. The company had over $30 billion in net liquidity from its automotive division as of its third quarter financial announcement.

VW already racked up significant costs from this scandal. The company set aside $7.3 billion to deal with the diesel emissions cheating, but group CEO Matthias Müller admitted that amount was just a start. The automaker also estimated the price of its carbon dioxide problem at $2.2 billion. There was a recent $13 million fine in Brazil too. One estimate places the total charge for this wrongdoing anywhere between $24.5 billion in the best case and $87 billion at the absolute worst.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/14/vw-21-billion-financing-emissions-scandal/

• Advertisement

Amazing when Ireland's national debt is 200bn!

Advertisement