Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

pablo128 wrote: »
    Which other manufacturer was selling 'clean' diesels in the US?

Actually it is funny you should ask that.
    I spent a week in Toronto over the christmas period. The first thing that hit me was how quiet the traffic was
    ie. All petrol cars.
    I saw one diesle car while I was there.
    Any guess what it was?
    Yup. A Golf Tdi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

I dunno LTL - he has you snookered on at least one point "I demand evidence that the collapse of US diesel VAG sales has occurred in europe"

Its kinda like saying there is no refugee crisis in Europe, because sure there isn't even a single Syrian refugee in texas.

Just read my own post back there. Might have left it open to ambiguous manipulation. I did mean US diesel sales. Yes I know the numbers were small but it has still happened

One of the other contributors above actually tried to dismiss a fact (regarding the specific use of an advertising slogan) as just a rebrand and not anything of significance. Nothing to see here. Its like suggesting Wednesday isn't Wednesday just beacsue someway says 'wouldn't mind that'

Utter waste of time discussing something with someone who's entrenched in delusion just so as to see their initial prediction prove correct. That ain't discussion.

The facts pertaining to the damage VW has suffered are overwhelming. Facts. Costs of repairs, rebranding, production loss, future model investment, intrinsic damage to the brand itself. Just by saying ' meh, wouldn't mind that' might change the outcome in some folks heads. Meanwhile back in reality .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

mickdw wrote: »
    Any truth in reports of a case being brought by a number of vw owners in ireland?

Read in the rag that is the indo over christmas that one solicitor has started proceedings in a civil case on behalf of 40 owners against VW Ireland with more to follow. Not sure of exact details - will be interesting to see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

RedorDead wrote: »
    Read in the rag that is the indo over christmas that one solicitor has started proceedings in a civil case on behalf of 40 owners against VW Ireland with more to follow. Not sure of exact details - will be interesting to see how they get on.

Yes that must be what I heard. I was told that they were claiming compo for various losses such as Poorer resale due to scandal, possible vrt and motortax liability in cars with co2 misrepresentation, False advertising in terms of the product not being anywhere as clean as described.
    Given that the government are not going to chase car owners for back taxes even if tax rates on cars were changed, the only thing I can see sticking out of that lot would be the resale value claim IF it could be shown that prices were affected. That is a big IF though.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wonder is that Irish law firm operating on a "no win, no fee" basis. :D

Not too shabby after all.

2016-01-02%2012.38.35_zpswllegedi.jpg

2016-01-02%2012.38.37_zps4diszm3p.jpg

2016-01-02%2012.39.19_zps16l3kaf5.jpg

2016-01-02%2012.39.21_zpsc8oguzle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

vectra wrote: »
    Not too shabby after all.

Mine is on the Emden heading for Ringaskiddy, Cork as we speak:D
    So all going well next week mine will be in that forecourt as well, and more importantly out side my front door

Mine is on the Emden heading for Ringaskiddy, Cork as we speak:D
    So all going well next week mine will be in that forecourt as well, and more importantly out side my front door

What did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

vectra wrote: »
    What did you buy?

Just a petrol golf, changing from a Passat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're all demos and pre-regs Vectra :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bazz26 wrote: »
    I wonder is that Irish law firm operating on a "no win, no fee" basis. :D

Pretty sure it's this one:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I know which one it shouldn't have...

Screenshot_2016-01-02-17-04-43_zpspuw1e59c.png

Tadumdumtish...I'll get my coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ooh ooh, what gadget should they have???? A timing chain that lasts longer than a belt? Oil pump drives not made out of cheese? A decent reliable handbrake? I mean, why not dream big if we are talking science fiction like!! Imagine... A gadget that would turn endless stonewalling and denial of engineering faults in to "no problem, we'll fix that for free, our bad"

Ooh ooh, what gadget should they have???? A timing chain that lasts longer than a belt? Oil pump drives not made out of cheese? A decent reliable handbrake? I mean, why not dream big if we are talking science fiction like!! Imagine... A gadget that would turn endless stonewalling and denial of engineering faults in to "no problem, we'll fix that for free, our bad"

Wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want a decent German car, buy a Ford. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Aren't Ford American? :pac:

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're all demos and pre-regs Vectra :)

So VW gave them out for free?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes. As predicted.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Aren't Ford American? :pac:

Ford US is indeed 'Murican. But Ford Werke GmbH is a German company. :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Germany :P

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes. As predicted.

Where do I apply for a free car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

The US Justice Department has filed a civil suit against Volkswagen AG for allegedly violating environmental laws through its use of software to cheat emissions tests.

The start of the bigger lawsuits.

http://news.sky.com/story/1616606/us-sues-volkswagen-over-emissions-scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

pippip wrote: »
    The US Justice Department has filed a civil suit against Volkswagen AG for allegedly violating environmental laws through its use of software to cheat emissions tests.

The start of the bigger lawsuits.

http://news.sky.com/story/1616606/us-sues-volkswagen-over-emissions-scandal

if it goes the worst case for them $91b in fines.... does anyone see VWoA posting for Bankruptcy in the US??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Just read my own post back there. Might have left it open to ambiguous manipulation. I did mean US diesel sales. Yes I know the numbers were small but it has still happened

One of the other contributors above actually tried to dismiss a fact (regarding the specific use of an advertising slogan) as just a rebrand and not anything of significance. Nothing to see here. Its like suggesting Wednesday isn't Wednesday just beacsue someway says 'wouldn't mind that'

Utter waste of time discussing something with someone who's entrenched in delusion just so as to see their initial prediction prove correct. That ain't discussion.

The facts pertaining to the damage VW has suffered are overwhelming. Facts. Costs of repairs, rebranding, production loss, future model investment, intrinsic damage to the brand itself. Just by saying ' meh, wouldn't mind that' might change the outcome in some folks heads. Meanwhile back in reality .....

Let's give it say two years. I may be right. You may be right. Right now certainly in Europe VW has sidestepped most of the original issues, fixes and allegations.

The US will be more difficult. But loosing the US market wouldn't kill VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

robtri wrote: »
    if it goes the worst case for them $91b in fines.... does anyone see VWoA posting for Bankruptcy in the US??
    The EPA has never extracted maximum fines from auto makers , it's not in its interests to remove VW from the us market. Remember all those jobs have votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Ah yeah, but sure you wouldn't mind that. Only a little discrepancy. Sure what harm!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/407033/us-government-sues-volkswagen-over-dieselgate-affair/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ah yeah, but sure you wouldn't mind that. Only a little discrepancy. Sure what harm!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/407033/us-government-sues-volkswagen-over-dieselgate-affair/

The part at the end is interesting. Toyota originally chased for 80 billion and settled for 52 million. Can see a similar outcome here. The yanks get a bit excited when it comes to suing people.

The part at the end is interesting. Toyota originally chased for 80 billion and settled for 52 million. Can see a similar outcome here. The yanks get a bit excited when it comes to suing people.

I'm just amazed the lawsuit is not a a "zillion, squillion, gazillion", might as well be, these figures are just "pull something outta yer arse, bubba"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm just amazed the lawsuit is not a a "zillion, squillion, gazillion", might as well be, these figures are just "pull something outta yer arse, bubba"

" bubba" should have nuked Germany instead of Hiroshima

gctest50 wrote: »
    " bubba" should have nuked Germany instead of Hiroshima

They could have nuked Ireland, but no one would have noticed for several weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

VW sales down 4.8% last year
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0108/758758-vw-sales/

One would expect that was mainly due to the emissions scandal and considering there would be a lag on orders I would suggest that their sales in Q4 were down 20% year on year.

Advertisement