Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

josip wrote: »
    VW sales down 4.8% last year
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0108/758758-vw-sales/

One would expect that was mainly due to the emissions scandal and considering there would be a lag on orders I would suggest that their sales in Q4 were down 20% year on year.

A blip I'd say. They have been given the all clear by Europe to carry on spoofing compliance with the most relaxed nox regulations on the planet and a farcical test regime.

Although it will be interesting to see what happens in the end stateside. I think they've finished diesels in compact cars there for all manufacturers but it remains to be seen what penalties will be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

A blip I'd say. They have been given the all clear by Europe to carry on spoofing compliance with the most relaxed nox regulations on the planet and a farcical test regime.

Although it will be interesting to see what happens in the end stateside. I think they've finished diesels in compact cars there for all manufacturers but it remains to be seen what penalties will be applied.

Fcuk all penalties is my guess. I'm pretty certain all will come in under the planned budget. I'd love to know how the range rover v6 diesels would fear. Seem to be taking off over there.

Personally all I think it will do in Europe is make people think before they buy. We all know diesels on the way out but in the meantime it has its uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Diesels on the way out!!!!!!! 3 out of every four cars sold so far in 2016 in Ireland are Deisel.

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Diesels on the way out!!!!!!! 3 out of every four cars sold so far in 2016 in Ireland are Deisel.

Every cent spent on trying to get small capacity diesels to circumvent very forgiving tests, rather than being spent on making hybrid or ev technology better and cheaper, is a cent wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Every cent spent on trying to get small capacity diesels to circumvent very forgiving tests, rather than being spent on making hybrid or ev technology better and cheaper, is a cent wasted.

I agree! Lean-burn petrol engines anyone? These glorified tractor engines with their rather questionable DPF systems seems to have killed off any willingness to spend research dollars on lean-burn and other more interesting solutions.

Who on earth thought an emissions solution that spews out its content along the motorways was such a good idea it had to be legislated for???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Dat cheap tax tho

Dat cheap tax tho

That's because the system is setup to favour dodgy small diesels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Lellostag wrote: »
    That's because the system is setup to favour dodgy small diesels...

Small petrols have cheap tax too.

Why the hating on diesels, by the way? If you want to drive a petrol car, buy a petrol car. What's the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I agree! Lean-burn petrol engines anyone? These glorified tractor engines with their rather questionable DPF systems seems to have killed off any willingness to spend research dollars on lean-burn and other more interesting solutions.

Who on earth thought an emissions solution that spews out its content along the motorways was such a good idea it had to be legislated for???

It has bee na while since they sounded and drove like glorified tractor engines. Where have you been all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tractors sound like cars now.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    tractors sound like cars now.

:pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

pablo128 wrote: »
    Small petrols have cheap tax too.

Why the hating on diesels, by the way? If you want to drive a petrol car, buy a petrol car. What's the big deal?
    vectra wrote: »
    It has bee na while since they sounded and drove like glorified tractor engines. Where have you been all these years.

Sadly 2016 seems to continue where 2015 left off with da pedril boys down the pub going "Ah Jaysis, dem daysils are shoite!", basically saying "I don't want people to drive cars that I don't personally agree with". Yeah, fcuk you too, buddy. You are concerned about cancer? Lay off the deodorant, red meat, rashers, sausages, chips, burgers, 17 pints at the weekend, getting burnt red-raw the moment the sun comes out, same goes for sunbeds, get rid of the coal fire, stop smocking and a thousand other things that, according to the Daily Mail, cause cancer. EVERYTHING causes cancer! Maybe you should invest in a bunker with an air filtration device, work from there, have everything delivered and never leave it. And even that isn't good enough! Did you know that oxygen is killing you as we speak? You could try not breathing, but that rarely ends well.
    Just relax, we will all end up dead anyway. It's not the worst thing in the world. And you can't get stressed out, well, the good news is, you won't die of cancer, you'll die of a heart attack. If reading this annoys you, sorry, I just took 2 minutes off your life. Sue me! :P;)

Ifyou want to drive a petrol car, buy a petrol car. What's the big deal?

I will still have to listen to your and everybody else's diesel clatter, though... ;)

I will still have to listen to your and everybody else's diesel clatter, though... ;)

Yes, every petrol is an aural orgasm, as they scream, burble and roar their way to 7000 rpm! It's rally, F1 and drag-racing, and that's just going to work, it is the audible equivalent of the Sistine Chapel and angles will dance in the sky!
    It's totally not like 99% of petrols are the "Oirish" 1.4 sh*tbox variety that sound like me after a rich curry and too much cheese farting through a bicycle inner tube as the little sh*tbox struggles to make 100 km/h within 15 seconds and STILL costs more to run than my diesel AND it would make my commute so much more miserable, BUT I would now drive a car with the correct fuel? Nah, I'm good, thanks. :p I refer to my sig ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Looks like a catalytic converter is on the cards for most of the US cars.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-converter-idUSKCN0UN0XY20160109

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Well I tell you what, you would be cribbing a lot more if you heard my 1979 PETROL car then, because it's way louder than my diesel car.

Gittoutahere! :p

you would be cribbing a lot more if you heard my 1979 PETROL car then.

I doubt that very much! :)

Yes, every petrol is an aural orgasm, as they scream, burble and roar their way to 7000 rpm! It's rally, F1 and drag-racing, and that's just going to work, it is the audible equivalent of the Sistine Chapel and angles will dance in the sky!
    It's totally not like 99% of petrols are the "Oirish" 1.4 sh*tbox variety that sound like me after a rich curry and too much cheese farting through a bicycle inner tube as the little sh*tbox struggles to make 100 km/h within 15 seconds and STILL costs more to run than my diesel AND it would make my commute so much more miserable, BUT I would now drive a car with the correct fuel? Nah, I'm good, thanks. :p I refer to my sig ;)

I just don't like the sound of the diesel engine, that's all, so no need to get so worked up about it... ;) It's my very personal and subjective view on the matter, it has nothing to do with what other cars sound like (or drive like for that matter), be it the little "sh*tbox" or the new stress-fan powered F1 cars. Hope that's ok with you.

Diesel cars are perfectly good cars nowadays, but they still sound like a muted can of nails in most cases. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the relative economy and torque many diesels provide, but they still don't sound quite right for a car. But perhaps such an opinion is not welcome here...?

I must though admit to rather enjoy reading your most recent rants on various subjects, very entertaining indeed! It's partly what makes it worthwhile participating on boards.ie so keep it up! ;)

Thanks, one does try to keep to a certain standard. :pac:
    Yes, I have been feeling ranty lately. Plenty to rant about...

• Advertisement

That depends a lot on exactly what petrol car you drive yourself. As for a lot of diesels nowadays, you'r petrol car could be lingering behind, so in fact you may not have to listen to the clatter at all.

Gold.. Every single time.

This one lasted longer than others before we got the "all diesels sound better than all petrols, they are simultaneously whisper quiet and refimed at idle but god don't they sound fantashtic when they go. And they're fierce fasht!"

There isn't a single nice car out their that doesn't make me grimace when I hear a 4pot diesel startup rather petrol. Tis fine for toyota dynas and the like in fairness.

Gold.. Every single time.

This one lasted longer than others before we got the "all diesels sound better than all petrols, they are simultaneously whisper quiet and refimed at idle but god don't they sound fantashtic when they go. And they're fierce fasht!"

There isn't a single nice car out their that doesn't make me grimace when I hear a 4pot diesel startup rather petrol. Tis fine for toyota dynas and the like in fairness.

Read through every thread that ends like that and you will find posts preceding it where people say "Oh My! I hate diesels! Hate them! I wish they would all go away! I wish people would only listen to ME because I hate them so much and they should ALL buy petrols NOW! Oh, why won't the diesel boys listen to me and buy a car I approve of! Where are my smelling salts?!" :P

Plenty to rant about...

So very true! Can't beat a good rant every now and then... ;)

So very true! Can't beat a good rant every now and then... ;)

So very true is right
    Especially some guy ranting about petrol cars are the only way to go and blasting diesel ones.
    Even though that same guy drives a diesel himself :pac:

I have the same model Mazda6 but with a diesel. Good car but mine is going through brakes like they're going out of fashion... In 100k miles I have had to change all discs AND calipers twice! Then again it could be just my bad luck, don't think I am that hard on the brakes...

Good luck!

vectra wrote: »
    Especially some guy ranting about petrol cars are the only way to go and blasting diesel ones.
    Even though that same guy drives a diesel himself :pac:

No, I only said I don't like the sound of a diesel, but as usual plenty of people trying to put their own twist on things...

If you'd bothered do your reaearch properly you'd also found that I said I appreciate the relative economy and torque of diesels, but I still don't like the way they clatter and rattle.

Read through every thread that ends like that and you will find posts preceding it where people say "Oh My! I hate diesels! Hate them! I wish they would all go away! I wish people would only listen to ME because I hate them so much and they should ALL buy petrols NOW! Oh, why won't the diesel boys listen to me and buy a car I approve of! Where are my smelling salts?!" :P

Ah here, nobody with any sense would deny diesel has its applications (workhorse stuff, properly long distance stuff) but defending the "diesel sounds great! And it's so clean!" ??? Even VAG themselves can't manage that with a straight face anymore.

If you'd bothered do your reaearch properly you'd also found that I said I appreciate the relative economy and torque of diesels, but I still don't like the way they clatter and rattle.

A pitchfork wielding mob is on its way to you right now lol. How dare you suggest common or garden diesels are in any way less refined than Rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A pitchfork wielding mob is on its way to you right now lol. How dare you suggest common or garden diesels are in any way less refined than Rolls.

In all fairity the current AJD-V6 sounds pretty tasty. :cool:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    In all fairity the current AJD-V6 sounds pretty tasty. :cool:

mmm, 50 seconds in, melifluous

Advertisement