Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

PaulKK wrote: »
    Reliability is not the number one item on my list no.

Is a Ferrari reliable? A Bentley?...

Do you know that a Bentley is a Volkswagen Passat with a proper interior? Makes a change from a Golf platform, I suppose. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

No they're real alright...I can get around all week on just €20 of daysul.

And that is just your Lawnmoyer

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jaysus, quoting page 1 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

mickdw wrote: »
    To be honest, take a highline current generation passat with a proper engine and it's a very fine car than imo trumps everything in its class.

And I can vouch for that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

• Advertisement

....a think tank has said

SBPhoto wrote: »

So now they want to make it an "Air Quality" tax rather than a road tax.! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ....a think tank has said
    To be fair, twas a think tank came up with the current system - there sure as fook weren't any credible scientists with any forethought involved in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

vectra wrote: »

Happy with the move from the old Octavias then?

mickdw wrote: »
    Happy with the move from the old Octavias then?

Absolutely.

More elbow room
    Quieter
    More toys
    More Economical
    Slight reduction in power but nothing to complain about.

Would I buy another one?

Certainly,even though I have only 8k kms on it from new, that is a big jump up from my normal mileage. I will look at the new cc next time to try bargain a good deal.

Going to lok at the new Skoda Koadik as well.

• Advertisement

That new Skoda Kodiak looks interesting, glad to see that they're making the seat Alteca slightly smaller than the VW Tiguan, and the skoda Kodiak (seemingly) slightly bigger.

That new Skoda Kodiak looks interesting, glad to see that they're making the seat Alteca slightly smaller than the VW Tiguan, and the skoda Kodiak (seemingly) slightly bigger.

I was under the impression that the Tiquan and th Alteca were similar size? (4.3 mtrs)
    The Kodiak is supposedly 4.7 mtrs.

I think the Alteca is smaller, but tbh I'm not certain of that.
    If the Kodiak is a 7 seater, would it not be as expensive or more expensive than the Tiguan?

I think the Alteca is smaller, but tbh I'm not certain of that.
    If the Kodiak is a 7 seater, would it not be as expensive or more expensive than the Tiguan?

Possibly.
    Not too sure tbh.

If you take the superb VW the Passat as an example, I can't see it being cheaper like-for-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Isn't yours a Diesel :confused::confused:

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Isn't yours a Diesel :confused::confused:

Yes.
    But you would hardly call a 1.4 petrol a proper engine.
    Would you?

Yes.
    But you would hardly call a 1.4 petrol a proper engine.
    Would you?

About as proper as a 4 banger Diesel!

Are there no 6 cylinders available in the Passat these days?

God be with the days when you'd have 6 cylinder passats everywhere

Well they were never everywhere but they did used to offer them with "proper engines" and not "proper" 4 cylinder diesels.

W8 for example:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Nope unfortunately! It seems like only yesterday when the Golf was available with not one but two V6 engines, not to mention a V5 for good measure.

Nope.
    That what I said.
    Give me the diesel any day over a 1.4 patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

has this thread morphed into VW nostalgia thread :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Upper end of the bread and butter brands maybe, certainly not prestige.

This.

I looked at a lot of cars before I purchased my Golf.

Wanted something well put together, comfortable, a bit of pace and a few toys.

Toyota had nothing that would interest me.

Hyundai, I appreciate the i30 but nothing approaching 200bhp.

Kia, the pro ceed GT 1.6 petrol is a very impressive car. Considered it, but I just found the Golf a nicer place to be, and for this generation at least a little more self assured.

The Focus ST is a decent car and they were doing great deals. I just preferred the Golf though. Nothing to do with prestige or premium, I just preferred the interior especially.

Mazda 3, no suitable power option. Mazda 6 I really appreciate but didn't really want a saloon this time.

Even when I went up to the "premium" options... BMW 1 series I really don't like at all. A3, again like a broken record I just preferred the Golf. A6 is a fine car and a well specced one may well be next.

The point of my rambling is that me buying a Golf had nothing to do with any vision of prestige. I wanted a warm hatch, with good spec and an interior I got along with. Very little came close to the Golf. When all is said and done, I doubt the engine technology VAG use is significantly different to anyone else, and the Golf 7 is a decent car. That's what I cared about, not any label of premium or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

BoatMad wrote: »
    has this thread morphed into VW nostalgia thread :eek:

I remember when 4 cylinders Passat were for peasants. Now it seems they're the preserve of cúnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I remember when 4 cylinders Passat were for peasants. Now it seems they're the preserve of cúnts.

I remember when Passats were for illiterate hill-farrmers, hippies, middle-aged female antique dealers and other oddballs who knew absolutely nothing about cars. The more things change.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

jimgoose wrote: »
    I remember when Passats were for illiterate hill-farrmers, hippies, middle-aged female antique dealers and other oddballs who knew absolutely nothing about cars. The more things change.. :D

I remember when they lusted after Santanas

jimgoose wrote: »

Some things never change so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Hate to burst anyone's bubble on here but saying a Passat is a prestige motor is like saying my 156 is the fastest car in the world (bad analogy, because it is obviously).

Passats are just so common and no matter what type of interiors or whatever I actually think the quality has cheapened over the years. I had a new one there as a rental last year and it was utter misery. This fake leather and a cheap plastic steering wheel. Most of them are used by moronic sales reps these days also which hardly adds to their prestige image.

They're not a bad car really, just nothing to get excited about. I actually think the new Ford Mondeo is a much better all round car.

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    Hate to burst anyone's bubble on here but saying a Passat is a prestige motor is like saying my 156 is the fastest car in the world (bad analogy, because it is obviously).

Passats are just so common and no matter what type of interiors or whatever I actually think the quality has cheapened over the years. I had a new one there as a rental last year and it was utter misery. This fake leather and a cheap plastic steering wheel. Most of them are used by moronic sales reps these days also which hardly adds to their prestige image.

They're not a bad car really, just nothing to get excited about. I actually think the new Ford Mondeo is a much better all round car.

What a load of crap.

BMW 520 are a common as muck as well.. does that make them bad?
    What model Passat did you actually drive ? The interior
    It has been likened to older Bentlys in quality.
    There are various specs in the lineup and I think the original comment was something along the lines on " It would be better than most in its catagory"
    Not that it is an ultamite machine.

Advertisement