Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Likened to old Bentleys? Lol seriously... When Toyota went back to a shallow dash and a 7 segment retro clock in the new Corolla as a hark back to it's former glories, people said they were trying too hard and clutching at straws, but when VW do it, "it's like an old Bentley".

We had a B8 loaner car last year too and like I posted before, I was genuinely open minded to it. On the inside the air con switch gear was very flimsy, as was the auto handbrake button, they felt very loose and fragile.

The steering wheel hub was unpleasant hard plastic and the steering columnn cowl was hard and very ill fitting too. You could really see where corners were cut at the design stages in an attempt to keep churning out a premium feeling car on a bit more of a budget.

Honestly, from a sense of build quality point of view, i'd say they peaked at the B5 and dare I say even B6 felt like better put to gether cars to be in. The interiors felt "solid" and that's just something I didn't get from the B8.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Likened to old Bentleys? Lol seriously...

Well,
    Those are the words of a man that gets paid to review cars and in my mind is damn good at it.

6 minutes 55.sec.
    Hear it for yourself.
    If you disagree with him then tell him he is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nobody wants a v6 passat here. there was a time when VW was doing lazy engines with no performance and people were giving out. now they have models where every enine available is turbocharged and you have a huge selection of power outputs from the same engune. you couldn't be right with some people!

it's one thing bemoaning bmw and Mercedes for shifting to 4 cylinder engines in executive large saloons but the passat was never supposed to be an e class or a 5 series.

they're still selling v6 passat in the USA but I think it's the old model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Watch the first 15 seconds of this. Mmmm Bentleys sound like serious quality...

Saying that the interior quality is like a 10 year old Bentley sounds like a serious insult to me. I think you may have picked up the wrong end of the stick on that one Vectra.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

vectra wrote: »
    What a load of crap.

BMW 520 are a common as muck as well.. does that make them bad?
    What model Passat did you actually drive ? The interior
    It has been likened to older Bentlys in quality.
    There are various specs in the lineup and I think the original comment was something along the lines on " It would be better than most in its catagory"
    Not that it is an ultamite machine.

To me anyway the passat has taken a massive jump with the latest model. Indeed even the previous car which was a heavy facelift was a major step in terms of handling and feel from the original b6.
    The 1.6 diesel is a joke though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Hear it for yourself.
    Quoting from the big book of clichés.

The Passat interior is nice and solid unlike a Bentley interior from ten years ago. And it's nothing like the quality in a new Bentley interior.

The stlying is subjective and I don't particularly think it's appealing. But that's my opinion. It's not ugly mind either.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Watch the first 15 seconds of this. Mmmm Bentleys sound like serious quality...

Saying that the interior quality is like a 10 year old Bentley sounds like a serious insult to me. I think you may have picked up the wrong end of the stick on that one Vectra.
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    Quoting from the big book of clichés.

The Passat interior is nice and solid unlike a Bentley interior from ten years ago. And it's nothing like the quality in a new Bentley interior.

The stlying is subjective and I don't particularly think it's appealing. But that's my opinion. It's not ugly mind either.

Ah here lads.
    You'd want to be some dope to expect the same quality from a 40k car as you would get from a 200k car,
    In fairness, you gotta have a bit of give and take like.
    But tell me what car in the same class would equal or better the Passat that i could have chosen at the time?

Ah here lads.
    You'd want to be some dope to expect the same quality from a 40k car as you would get from a 200k car

Just for clarity you made the comparison and we all were pointing out the above.

As for the above, I've already pointed out its a subjective thing.

Just for clarity you made the comparison and we all were pointing out the above.

As for the above, I've already pointed out its a subjective thing.

Just for Clarity.
    It was Bob Flavin made the comparison.
    Tell him he is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dies he post here anymore since he got famous?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

colm_mcm wrote: »

Does any of this type of thing sound like someone here?

"The Skoda Octavia L&K it's a modern day passion wagon

Many years ago there was a term ‘passion wagon’ this was in reference to a cars ability to attract members of the opposite sex into the back seat of a car. ...
    The term seems to have died out but I’d like to think that the Skoda range might just fit the modern day bill."

Hmmm I can think of a few suspects!

Just for Clarity.
    It was Bob Flavin made the comparison.
    Tell him he is wrong.

You brought it into the thread for some unknown reason. Anyway, Bob I think you're wrong.

Happy?

Although I thought my comment on him using the big book of clichés would have made that obvious. And I think Bob would be dissapiunted if his reviews didn't poke done sort of a reaction from people.

Vectra for the record I've no idea why you're taking this so badly/personally. I didn't even know you'd bought a Passat recently, or if I did I forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

No he hasn't been online in a year.

Truckermal wrote: »
    No he hasn't been online in a year.

I like his style but he seemed to be telling a fair amount of crap there.
    Mentioning that your car will be 5 years old before you get a co2 figure from first nct test - well I think that is what he said. He would be wrong on both counts there.

Bodhan was the username. Helped him out with some writing in his early days. Anyway is he famous? Not being smart but I don't know where he is writing or contributing in the real world. Nice guy to talk to on the phone so I hope he has gotten something out of it.

Bodhan was the username. Helped him out with some writing in his early days. Anyway is he famous? Not being smart but I don't know where he is writing or contributing in the real world. Nice guy to talk to on the phone so I hope he has gotten something out of it.
    He returns the favour now with nice loaner the odd weekend.

mickdw wrote: »
    He returns the favour now with nice loaner the odd weekend.

Not sure what you mean?

If you mean to me, I've never gotten anything other than a genuine thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

I think he was the motoring editor for the Irish Independent and is part of a website called motohub now.

Ah here lads.
    You'd want to be some dope to expect the same quality from a 40k car as you would get from a 200k car,
    In fairness, you gotta have a bit of give and take like.
    But tell me what car in the same class would equal or better the Passat that i could have chosen at the time?

So you're a dope because you made the comparison :confused:

Saying the interior is like a 10 year old Bentley, as it turns out, is no compliment at all.

I haven't been in a current Bentley so I can't say how a Passat interior would compare.

To be honest a Diesel VW is just a white good, Designed and made for people with no interest in what they are driving and are only thinking about where they're driving to. I'm really surprised after all the scandal people are still buying VW and not a different white good like a Kia or whatever else. It appears to be brand loyalty which is strange because I didn't think brand loyalty would be strong for that type of car.

If Whirlpool were doing something dodgy with their dishwashers like using defeat devices to get a good energy ratings and they were found out people probably wouldn't buy a Whirlpool dishwasher again.

Brasso wrote: »
    I think he was the motoring editor for the Irish Independent and is part of a website called motohub now.

Good for him. Glad he made a job out of his hobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I like his style but he seemed to be telling a fair amount of crap there.
    Mentioning that your car will be 5 years old before you get a co2 figure from first nct test - well I think that is what he said. He would be wrong on both counts there.
    Wrong in its basis... Since when you get a CO2 figure from the NCT test :) ?

Saying the interior is like a 10 year old Bentley, as it turns out, is no compliment at all.

I haven't been in a current Bentley so I can't say how a Passat interior would compare.

To be honest a Diesel VW is just a white good, Designed and made for people with no interest in what they are driving and are only thinking about where they're driving to. I'm really surprised after all the scandal people are still buying VW and not a different white good like a Kia or whatever else. It appears to be brand loyalty which is strange because I didn't think brand loyalty would be strong for that type of car.

If Whirlpool were doing something dodgy with their dishwashers like using defeat devices to get a good energy ratings and they were found out people probably wouldn't buy a Whirlpool dishwasher again.

You seem to be infatuated with a CURRENT Bently.

Still didn't hear your choice of car that would compare with the Passat in the same class?

A car is a choice the owner makes.
    No concern of anyone else.

I could have bought any old car I wished.
    Even a Vectra Clone.

But no,
    Prefer my passat any day. At least it is something I dont have to be stuck under the bonnet regularly.

I dont have to be stuck under the bonnet regularly.

Another way it's not like a Bentley from 10 years ago :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I disagree. I love cars, read about cars daily, look at carzone daily, go for drives for no other reason than to drive. I drive a Golf GTD and it's a good car.

It's really strange the way people are taking things so personally. People like different cars. No need to act like their opinion is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

What a load of crap.

BMW 520 are a common as muck as well.. does that make them bad?
    What model Passat did you actually drive ? The interior
    It has been likened to older Bentlys in quality.
    There are various specs in the lineup and I think the original comment was something along the lines on " It would be better than most in its catagory"
    Not that it is an ultamite machine.

I've driven both a an F10 520 and new shape Passat (family members cars) recently. The former is of course the nicer car to be in and drive but the Passat was not a bad place to be either and good value considering the amount of options it had.

Not sure what you mean?

If you mean to me, I've never gotten anything other than a genuine thank you!

I meant if you helped him out when he was starting out, you might be in line for the odd car related perk.

I meant if you helped him out when he was starting out, you might be in line for the odd car related perk.

I might but it's never been offered! Nah I was happy to just try my hand to writing at the time. Very much enjoyed it but didn't have the time to keep it up

You seem to be infatuated with a CURRENT Bently.

No I don't think I am. I'll just clarify by saying that I don;t think the Passat is anything like any Bentley interior. To be honest can only base that on pictures of Bentley interiors.
    Still didn't hear your choice of car that would compare with the Passat in the same class?

Personally I thin the Insignia is a very good drive and the gearbox is even good now in the face lift models. A bit long in the tooth now though.

My dad has a Kia Optima at the moment. I wouldn't buy one with my own money but it is quite good looking and well equipped for the price. Not that good a drive though.

I hear that the current Mondeo is fantastic but I haven't driven one so can't say.

The Passat isn't too bad an overall package either. Not that fantastic handling wise and expensive and offering poor warranty compared to its rivals.

Personally I wouldn't buy any car in that class, I like driving and cars too much to drive a fridge.
    A car is a choice the owner makes.
    No concern of anyone else.

Absolutely. The only problem I have is claiming that a 4 pot diesel is a "proper engine"
    I could have bought any old car I wished.
    Even a Vectra Clone.

But no,
    Prefer my passat any day. At least it is something I dont have to be stuck under the bonnet regularly.

I can drive any car I want too. I just don't want to drive an appliance or make unfounded claims about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Thats an awful lot of negativity about a car that you never owned
    Never drove fro any amout of time
    and that owns a car that anyone with half a brain would avoid like the plague.

You would want to be insane to drive a time bomb like an Alfa.
    And please don't come back and compare it to proper cars. after all it only has a half ar$ed 4 pot engine that is as unreliable as a drunk promising to turn up for work on a Monday morning.

As for a car being a fridge?
    Hmm.
    Actually you are right.. The tri zone climate control is absolutely brilliant in it.

I'd have a new top of the line Avensis over a new Passat all day long. No question.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'd have a new top of the line Avensis over a new Passat all day long. No question.

As I said,
    Owners choice.

Advertisement