Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Has anyone got their recall letter yet? Herselfs parents got theirs for the superb last week. Miles away into the future mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,543 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Has anyone got their recall letter yet? Herselfs parents got theirs for the superb last week. Miles away into the future mind.

None for me.
    Mine is one of the honest ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Well I'm happy that my posh Fiat is just like a ten year old Ferrari.

Incidentally I'm not a brand licker but my Alfa has been far more reliable than both VWs I've owned. The Passat was definitelymore comfortable over a long journey though.

And I actually agree with the above poster about the Avensis, at least the interior of it. I thought it was very well built and specced.

vectra wrote: »
    Mine is one of the honest ones :)

We went for our second petrol Skoda just to be sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I suppose it's futile at this stage to hope that the thread might stay on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I suppose it's futile at this stage to hope that the thread might stay on topic.
    Good idea, back to the schadenfraud

ea005dba6cd64be8ee93e83468912e0df348689cde6e0fbcaf5c1e91c7d7bc22_1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

pablo128 wrote: »
    I'd have a new top of the line Avensis over a new Passat all day long. No question.

Is that the new avensis that has been around since 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They must've done some savage overhaul on the interior in the meantime.

colm_mcm wrote: »

I don't know but I went from a new Prius to one and found it solid and comfortable. I just thought it quiet nice and solid. And that's not something I've said about a Toyota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

They have actually. It looks a lot better now. Different suspension too. I haven't driven one yet. I drove a 2012 estate for a few days in fairness and found it bland alright, but it was a paddy spec model. The new ones have a BMW engine with more poke too.

• Advertisement

The new ones have a BMW engine with more poke too.
    It's underpowered and ****e in the Avensis. As I said, I like the interior. That's all.

You can get the 143ps 2.0 for €1650 to be fair,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

mickdw wrote: »
    Is that the new avensis that has been around since 2009.

It's got a significant overhaul especially on the interior. The new interior is miles better than the old one and now is one of the nicest in the class imo. That was one of the main criticisms of the original. Still it probably should of been updated earlier and it's a shame that they are now fitted with bmw diesel engines.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's got a significant overhaul especially on the interior. The new interior is miles better than the old one and now is one of the nicest in the class imo. That was one of the main criticisms of the original. Still it probably should of been updated earlier and it's a shame that they are now fitted with bmw diesel engines.

Speaking to a friend who is in charge of QC here he reckons they're the best built Toyota to ever leave Burnston by a country mile as they're under pressure to maintain production if they don't

There wasn't anything particularly wrong with the way they put the 09 model together, more that it was badly designed in a few areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

There wasn't anything particularly wrong with the way they put the 09 model together, more that it was badly designed in a few areas.

Indeed the car itself was decent but it was lacking in a few areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They have actually. It looks a lot better now. Different suspension too. I haven't driven one yet. I drove a 2012 estate for a few days in fairness and found it bland alright, but it was a paddy spec model. The new ones have a BMW engine with more poke too.

At least is transversely mounted :]

He re lobed there was lots of reworking done before it left the factory but that all done with now. Quality of what's gone into it is far better too. Just going on what he's said to me but he had no reason to lie.

As a company car, say where a mazda6 wasn't in the list, Avensis Sol or Passat highline. I'd be all over the VW.
    The avensis might have a nice interior now, but it's a dogs dinner outside.

As a company car, say where a mazda6 wasn't in the list, Avensis Sol or Passat highline. I'd be all over the VW.
    The avensis might have a nice interior now, but it's a dogs dinner outside.

If you look at my original posts I'm not against the Passat interior. But it's no Bentley, just like the Avensis isn't even a Lexus.

I do find the Passat interior more somber than I'd like. And the less said about the Avensis exterior the better.

• Advertisement

Im not saying it in reply to anyone, just idly musing.

Prob take a mondeo over an avensis, but not sure I'd have one over a Passat, even if it is nicer outside.

Miles off-topic I know.

Im not saying it in reply to anyone, just idly musing.

Prob take a mondeo over an avensis, but not sure I'd have one over a Passat, even if it is nicer outside.

Miles off-topic I know.

I haven't been able to get comfortable in a new Mondog. The seats don't suit me but no ford seat ever has.

And yes, I think we'll park it there as we're way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

ba_barabus wrote: »
    If you look at my original posts I'm not against the Passat interior. But it's no Bentley, just like the Avensis isn't even a Lexus.

I do find the Passat interior more somber than I'd like. And the less said about the Avensis exterior the better.

The state of Bentleys though, utter dogsh!t

looks like someone got a holesaw set for christmas and a roll of shiny wood sticky paper

2016 offering

HyDMp1w.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »
    The state of Bentleys though, utter dogsh!t

Check out the black label Rolls Royce from Geneva if you'd like to cover your keyboard in vomit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

You seem to be infatuated with a CURRENT Bently.

Still didn't hear your choice of car that would compare with the Passat in the same class?

But no,
    Prefer my passat any day. At least it is something I dont have to be stuck under the bonnet regularly.

You don't have to be under the bonnet regularly because you're provided with a new car every two years. Not all of us have that privilege. ;)

New Ford Mondeo is miles ahead of the Passat. One I drove admittedly was a 2015 US Spec rental but it was a dire place to be. Wasn't a nice drive, TSI engine was gutless and really it was the interior that was the biggest let down.

New Mondeo looks better, drives better and I actually think the interior is much better, on this side of the Atlantic.

Your Passat is a grand car (I'm not slating it) but I think you need to not think of it as a Bentley look alike and more of a better insulated Skoda. :)

166man wrote: »
    You don't have to be under the bonnet regularly because you're provided with a new car every two years. Not all of us have that privilege. ;)

New Ford Mondeo is miles ahead of the Passat. One I drove admittedly was a 2015 US Spec rental but it was a dire place to be. Wasn't a nice drive, TSI engine was gutless and really it was the interior that was the biggest let down.

New Mondeo looks better, drives better and I actually think the interior is much better, on this side of the Atlantic.

Your Passat is a grand car (I'm not slating it) but I think you need to not think of it as a Bentley look alike and more of a better insulated Skoda. :)

Err,
    No,
    My name is Eugene.
    Not Enda.
    I do not get provided with cars, I actuallly do buy them.
    You know, Like monthly payments?
    Do you know what they are? It can be a hard struggle at times to meet them, I will tell you that. Not everything in my life is as rosay as some of you may think it is.

As for the Mondeo,
    I drove numerous cars when I was looking around last year. To be honest the Mondeo was [robably the most boring one I drove, I will give it one thing in its favour though. It was damn quiet.

And having ownes several new skodas I can tell you also that there is a lot more than just insulation in the difference between this and them.
    Thats not saying I will not look at another Skoda as an option next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You know, Like monthly payments?
    Do you know what they are? It can be a hard struggle at times to meet them, I will tell you that. Not everything in my life is as rosay as some of you may think it is.

Why do you keep buying new cars on finance if it's a struggle to meet the payments?

Why not have a 4-5 year old car, own it outright, be happy with a good nearly new car and debt free?

The insinuation made by 166man is that Vectra gets a car provided to him.
    I'm pretty certain that's not the case - I don't see why he should have to explain his finances here anyway.
    Not that the man can't speak for himself, but it annoys me when someone who was banned for trolling for years and was given one more chance by a mod who should have known better - is up to their old Shiite again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The insinuation made by 166man is that Vectra gets a car provided to him.
    I'm pretty certain that's not the case - I don't see why he should have to explain his finances here anyway.

Absolutely, he shouldn't have to discuss his finances online to strangers.

He was very quick to call me up on mine before though. He was very quick to tell me I can't have an opinion until I have "x" amount of money to spend on a car.

Based on this i've been curious ever since as to how he pays for his, personally. It appears the only finances he doesn't want to talk about online are his own.

Nice to know he struggles to make some payments though. Think I can finally let this go now :)

Might get a ban for this. Totes worth it.

Edit: I would just like to add, I know this topic has came up once or twice now and I almost appear to be the troll, but it's just the original post months ago was so crass that it really shocked me, for something you'd read on an enthusaist forum.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, he shouldn't have to discuss his finances online to strangers.

He was very quick to call me up on mine before though. He was very quick to tell me I can't have an opinion until I have "x" amount of money to spend on a car.

Based on this i've been curious ever since as to how he pays for his, personally. It appears the only finances he doesn't want to talk about online are his own.

Nice to know he struggles to make some payments though. Think I can finally let this go now :)

Might get a ban for this. Totes worth it.

Err.
    No.
    Sorry to burst your bubble. But did you ever get to a stage in your life when multiple bills come along at once and some unexpected expense comes along?
    Well. A hose are the times I am talking about.
    Do you think for one minute that at the prime of my life I was told I can never again work.?
    Well go on. Laugh at that. As I know for certain I would much prefer to be working.
    And oh. By the way. I am really sorry if this spoils your day, but I have only a few repayments on this one and I will be debt free then. Woo hop.
    Roll on next year and I can have a new car for pocket money with my own.

Advertisement