Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

grogi wrote: »
    IMHO cars that did not have it done should be banned from the roads...

I'd prioritise making a proper DPF check part of the NCT, but that isn't really practical unless manufacturers are forced to implement a standard test mode/interface. Wouldn't hold my breath on the EU cracking the whip there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'd prioritise making a proper DPF check part of the NCT, but that isn't really practical unless manufacturers are forced to implement a standard test mode/interface. Wouldn't hold my breath on the EU cracking the whip there.

I know. Unfortunately... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

A DPF isn't really a good solution to the problem due to the fact that it strangles the engine and can easily be worked around. People will work around a system as imperfect as this. Simple human behaviour dictates this.

What's really needed is a way to make diesel engines cleaner without adding 'fixes', be they hardware or software. If diesel engines can't fit into our clean air policy, they should be banned for consumer use and the time/research should be directed into clean power plants for our transport.

IMO diesel and petrol are both dirty power plants and dicking around with cheats and hardware bits isn't going to change that enough to make them acceptable in the future.

Falcon L wrote: »
    A DPF isn't really a good solution to the problem due to the fact that it strangles the engine and can easily be worked around. People will work around a system as imperfect as this. Simple human behaviour dictates this.

What's really needed is a way to make diesel engines cleaner without adding 'fixes', be they hardware or software. If diesel engines can't fit into our clean air policy, they should be banned for consumer use and the time/research should be directed into clean power plants for our transport.

IMO diesel and petrol are both dirty power plants and dicking around with cheats and hardware bits isn't going to change that enough to make them acceptable in the future.

I don't see John and Mary refitting/removing catalytic converters for petrol cars for the NCT. Yes it is done but the hassle of it makes it the pastime of people with very modified cars and the means to do it DIY or at mates rates.

If DPF functionality could be tested as easily as cats via a "standard test mode/interface"... ... ...

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

vectra wrote: »
    Is your car an EU6 model?
    Mine is and is not affected, as far as I am aware the EU6 models are not affected.

I am not sure, when i but in the reg number this is what i get
    Your vehicle is not currently affected by any campaigns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

http://jalopnik.com/ex-volkswagen-employee-claims-he-was-fired-after-refusi-1764800241?rev=1457983195481&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_twitter&utm_source=jalopnik_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Where's a modern Ralf Nader when you want one! These guys are utterly rogue if this is true and most serfs just nod and walk on. Dear oh dear.

http://jalopnik.com/ex-volkswagen-employee-claims-he-was-fired-after-refusi-1764800241?rev=1457983195481&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_twitter&utm_source=jalopnik_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Where's a modern Ralf Nader when you want one! These guys are utterly rogue if this is true and most serfs just nod and walk on. Dear oh dear.

Weirdly I am not surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

That could really undo VW state side, although, they made a pretty good job of that themselves.
    Unfair dismissal isn't as "rewarding" in the states as it here AFAIK - open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Another day another lawsuit, although this one is for 3.6billion dollars, and from serious people with serious legal teams.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/15/vw-investors-file-multibillion-euro-suit-in-germany.html

pippip wrote: »
    Another day another lawsuit, although this one is for 3.6billion dollars, and from serious people with serious legal teams.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/15/vw-investors-file-multibillion-euro-suit-in-germany.html

Hold on till I do a Colm ....

What! Sure I didn't hear anyone talking about it. Nah, can't see it being any big deal. Sure didn't they reg 28 Polos in Sligo this month alone. Everything's grand so it is :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They'll have to sell the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Interesting VW sales around the world. Ireland one of the very few places to actually see a rise.

Volkswagen finally seems to be feeling the pain of its diesel deception in falling sales. Global sales for the VW brand fell by 4.7 per cent in February compared with the same period in 2015. Overall North American sales were down by 6.7 per cent, but specifically in the US they were 13.2 per cent down.
    There were even worse results in South America, especially as the continent had once been a Volkswagen heartland: sales were down 30 per cent in February across the region. There was a drop in sales of almost 40 per cent in Brazil.
    China and Russia were less disastrous, with drops of 3 per cent and 7 per cent respectively.
    Last week the firm announced that Michael Horn, president and chief executive of Volkswagen Group of America, was stepping down nearly six months after the German carmaker admitted to installing software designed to cheat emissions tests in thousands of its cars.

Horn, who has been president and chief executive since 2014, is leaving “to pursue other opportunities effective immediately”, the company said.
    Positive territory
    However, in European markets, Volkswagen actually rallied with sales up by 6.8 per cent between western and eastern Europe. Even in Ireland, where the brand’s market share has slipped – pushing it from first to fourth in the sales table – volume sales are up nearly 12 per cent. That’s behind the overall market growth but still in positive territory.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/emissions-scandal-takes-its-toll-on-volkswagen-sales-but-company-still-plugging-away-at-the-plug-ins-1.2572629

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

God damn dirty dayzuls sir

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

its ok. it's all sorted now. nothing to worry about.

Das Daysul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

pippip wrote: »
    There were even worse results in South America, especially as the continent had once been a Volkswagen heartland: sales were down 30 per cent in February across the region. There was a drop in sales of almost 40 per cent in Brazil.[/url]

The drop in Brazil has probably more to do with Brazil's poor economic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sabre Man wrote: »
    The drop in Brazil has probably more to do with Brazil's poor economic situation.

Ah stop talking sense. This is the childish rant about VW diesels thread.

Ah stop talking sense. This is the childish rant about VW diesels thread.

If read it you'd know how childish that comment is. You're having fun though {tickles chin}

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

I see vw are up to it again, they have halved their services intervals, down from 30k km or 2 years to 15k km or 1 year, I know 30k was a large interval but 15k km is very low, another example for being sold one thing and getting another!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ml100 wrote: »
    I see vw are up to it again, they have halved their services intervals, down from 30k km or 2 years to 15k km or 1 year, I know 30k was a large interval but 15k km is very low, another example for being sold one thing and getting another!

Really?

There's always been the option of either in recent times. 2yr 30k are Long Life intervals, 1 yr 15k is the standard interval not using Long Life Oil.

Has anyone had the rectification done, specifically on a 2.0Tdi engine? We're getting reports (which are to be investigated further so may just be heresay at the moment) of an increase in power, but also a fairly substantial increase in fuel consumption. Couple of drivers have reported this phenomenon since recent services, but I don't think we've had it confirmed that the software update took place, yet.

• Advertisement

Have they convinced the US to allow them to sell cars there again yet?

R.O.R wrote: »

Has anyone had the rectification done, specifically on a 2.0Tdi engine? We're getting reports (which are to be investigated further so may just be heresay at the moment) of an increase in power, but also a fairly substantial increase in fuel consumption. Couple of drivers have reported this phenomenon since recent services, but I don't think we've had it confirmed that the software update took place, yet.

As in using much more fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yes I see the wife's A4 and it's a pure alcoholic..

Really?

There's always been the option of either in recent times. 2yr 30k are Long Life intervals, 1 yr 15k is the standard interval not using Long Life Oil.

They use the same oil, or so I was told when I got them to change the service interval indicator from 15k back to the long life 30k after they had serviced my car and set it to 15k without asking me before hand, I see they have updated their site, 30k long life service is not listed.

http://www.volkswagen.ie/en/service/volkswagen_service/fixed-price-service1/service-options.html

I'll probably do it every 20k, 15k seems very low, I do about 30k motorway Km's a year so I'm not going in every 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Yep - A5 reporting increase from around 7L/100km to 9.5L/100km - and that's a driver who notices this sort of thing.
    ml100 wrote: »
    They use the same oil, or so I was told when I got them to change the service interval indicator from 15k back to the long life 30k after they had serviced my car and set it to 15k without asking me before hand, I see they have updated their site, 30k long life service is not listed.

http://www.volkswagen.ie/en/service/volkswagen_service/fixed-price-service1/service-options.html

I'll probably do it every 20k, 15k seems very low, I do about 30k motorway Km's a year so I'm not going in every 6 months.

That web link shows "Ultimate Service" at 2 years / 30,000km :confused:

Yep - A5 reporting increase from around 7L/100km to 9.5L/100km - and that's a driver who notices this sort of thing.

OMG. That is massive.

Let's see how the endurance of DPF is after the upgrade, because those engines are throwing the soot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

grogi wrote: »
    OMG. That is massive.

Let's see how the endurance of DPF is after the upgrade, because those engines are throwing the soot now.

Thats severe consumption in a small diesel. My petrol A5 would match that.

That web link shows "Ultimate Service" at 2 years / 30,000km :confused:

yes, but that service (the filter service, i.e. engine oil and filter + pollen, air and diesel filter) was every 60K km, so they want you to do a classic service (just engine oil + filter) then 15k km later an Ultimate service (engine oil + filter + other filters) and then 15k Km another Classic service and so on, i.e. the oil gets changed every 15k Km and the pollen + air + diesel filters every 30k km, that's twice as often for oil and filters as it was before, they have only switched this in the last few months and obviously given their PR situation they aren't telling you until you pick up your car after the service !

Over 40 MPG to less than 30? :eek:

35% increase in fuel use/costs and CO2 emissions in the real world... if that's true across the board it's out and out fraud in my book that they managed to sell so many cars with fiddled CO2 ratings and fuel consumption.

Oh well
    green-party.jpg
    Better put another 10c levy on the damn dirty petrol to offset this!

• Advertisement

Actually I should say they didn't even tell me, I noticed on the service sticker when I sat in the car, I went in and asked them and they given me a mumbled response of cars not getting serviced every 2 years, I told me I do 30k km a year and they changed the service interval back to the variable interval (30k km), I have suspected that 30k km is probably too long of an interval and they must be getting problems with the cars, or maybe it's because they have so many cars out of PCP they are more interested in keeping them going !, either way I'll probably do it every 20k, if they claimed it could do 30k between services 20k should be safe enough!, whatever about engine oil I can't see the need to reduce service intervals on pollen and air filters !, just another example of VW cars costing more to own than advertised !

Advertisement