Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Truckermal wrote: »
    Yes I see the wife's A4 and it's a pure alcoholic..

Is her car affected by the recall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

ml100 wrote: »
    I see vw are up to it again, they have halved their services intervals, down from 30k km or 2 years to 15k km or 1 year, I know 30k was a large interval but 15k km is very low, another example for being sold one thing and getting another!
    I just read a few days ago on the website upsociety.de that with the mid life facelift of the Up! that the longlife service interval has been removed and now it is a fixed 15,000km service interval.
    Previously you could indicate to your dealer if you wanted a longlife service interval or fixed distance interval and they'd switch it in the ECU of the car.
    For me a 15000km service interval is too short due to the way I drive and the types of road I use but I could understand why for some the 15000km interval is safer.
    I don't own an Up! just sharing something which I read.

http://www.upsociety.de/index.php/Thread/2650-Gerüchteküche-Neuer-up/?pageNo=5
    http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is her car affected by the recall?

Yes it is the Lexus will be more economical after the recall..:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Truckermal wrote: »
    Yes it is the Lexus will be more economical after the recall..:p:p

Did they inform you before the recall that fuel consumption would increase significantly and by how much, so that you could make an informed decision whether to proceed or not with what I thought was a voluntary recall?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭vectra

R.O.R wrote: »
    Yep - A5 reporting increase from around 7L/100km to 9.5L/100km - and that's a driver who notices this sort of thing.

:eek:

what engine is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yep - A5 reporting increase from around 7L/100km to 9.5L/100km...

Crikey! I can get somewhere near that during highway cruising! :pac:

They use the same oil, or so I was told when I got them to change the service interval indicator from 15k back to the long life 30k after they had serviced my car and set it to 15k without asking me before hand, I see they have updated their site, 30k long life service is not listed...

Whatever ye do, anyone going in for that long-life service malarkey, use OEM oil filters that have been designed to handle that carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

vectra wrote: »
    :eek:

what engine is that?

132 2.0Tdi 177 S-Tronic quattro

josip wrote: »
    Did they inform you before the recall that fuel consumption would increase significantly and by how much, so that you could make an informed decision whether to proceed or not with what I thought was a voluntary recall?

No didn't do the recall yet but fuel consumption isn't an issue as it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

30,000 km is a bit long for servicing intervals :confused: 20,000 km would probably be the maximum I would allow my car to not be serviced so 15,000 km sounds pretty healthy.

They lowered the intervals for a reason, so don't go and cheap out and end up with a wrecked engine/turbo/whatever in a few years time!

• Advertisement

I see a lot of UK customers are taking VW to court and hope to successfully sue them, is anyone this side doing the same i wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭vectra

132 2.0Tdi 177 S-Tronic quattro

that sounds very heavy consumption even before hand.
    Does he do lots of short trips?
    you would imagine 5.2/100 or so would be the norm for that car.

shietpilot wrote: »
    They lowered the intervals for a reason
    ...to generate revenue for Dealers and sell some genuine oil filters.

737max wrote: »

It doesn't make sense because 30,000 km is too long for a single fill of oil, especially when you factor in the fact that 95% of people on the road don't even check their oil levels weekly.

I think it's more to do with the fact that they are probably noticing problems with this interval.

It doesn't make sense because 30,000 km is too long for a single fill of oil, especially when you factor in the fact that 95% of people on the road don't even check their oil levels weekly.

I think it's more to do with the fact that they are probably noticing problems with this interval.

Data from thousands of cars begs to differ with your opinion.

Data from thousands of cars begs to differ with your opinion.

Can you share a link to this data? I would be amazed if dealers are scrapping long-life oil changes to make more money. The price of the oil filter is minimal and you are paying a premium already for long-life oil so I don't see any gain for Volkswagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Can you share a link to this data? I would be amazed if dealers are scrapping long-life oil changes to make more money. The price of the oil filter is minimal and you are paying a premium already for long-life oil so I don't see any gain for Volkswagen.

Oh Lord... There is no way to satisfy people..

If the 30kkm interval is kept - it is a secret deal to increase the failure rate after the warranty
    If the 30kkm is not kept - it is a secret effort to increase the servicing cost.

I personally am not a fan of those extended intervals - but if R.O.R. is saying that with proper service materials (oil that resist oxidative thickening being most important) they are ok - I don't have reasons to doubt him.

grogi wrote: »
    Oh Lord... There is no way to satisfy people..

If the 30kkm interval is kept - it is a secret deal to increase the failure rate after the warranty
    If the 30kkm is not kept - it is a secret effort to increase the servicing cost.

I personally am not a fan of those extended intervals - but if R.O.R. is saying that with proper service materials (oil that resist oxidative thickening being most important) they are ok - I don't have reasons to doubt him.

I'm not standing up for either of those "pub talk" opinions. My opinion is that they removed the long-life oil change option to improve engine longevity. Not to make money or break your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

This might have been discussed already so apologies if it has.

As they have sacrificed fuel consumption and CO2 to decrease the NOx emissions will revenue be changing the tax rates on these cars accordingly to their new higher CO2 levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    This might have been discussed already so apologies if it has.

As they have sacrificed fuel consumption and CO2 to decrease the NOx emissions will revenue be changing the tax rates on these cars accordingly to their new higher CO2 levels?
    Existing cars? No.

New cars will be taxed with whatever their CO2 is going to be.

• Advertisement

There is no link to this data. It's data we have here of thousands of cars being / have been serviced on long life intervals, which are not giving any of the issues people say long life servicing will cause.

I'm also running my own car on long life servicing, even running past the interval the car suggests (which is around 33,000km for the past few services) and there's no issues with the engine. Bit of a rattle from the exhaust at the moment, but that's something loose and not an issue that changing the oil every 10/15 k would have solved.

There is no link to this data. It's data we have here of thousands of cars being / have been serviced on long life intervals, which are not giving any of the issues people say long life servicing will cause.

I'm also running my own car on long life servicing, even running past the interval the car suggests (which is around 33,000km for the past few services) and there's no issues with the engine. Bit of a rattle from the exhaust at the moment, but that's something loose and not an issue that changing the oil every 10/15 k would have solved.

And then we have people wondering why the used car market is filled with buckets of sh*te when there are people on forums boasting about cheaping out on servicing. This coming from supposedly motor enthusiasts. I don't even want to think of the servicing schemes that your average Joe runs his car through...

It's your car, do as you wish but tell me how your car is doing when you hit 300,000 km on the odometer ;)

And then we have people wondering why the used car market is filled with buckets of sh*te when there are people on forums boasting about cheaping out on servicing. This coming from supposedly motor enthusiasts. I don't even want to think of the servicing schemes that your average Joe runs his car through...

It's your car, do as you wish but tell me how your car is doing when you hit 300,000 km on the odometer ;)

Well, passed 226,000km on the way to work yesterday morning, and still running fine ;)

You don't need OEM oil-filters when you use a sensible, Christian service interval. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    You don't need OEM oil-filters when you use a sensible, Christian service interval. :D
    If you are doing oil changes every 6 or 10,000 miles then the cost of the real proper oil outweigh the cost of the filter for anything modern. if you want to economise on the oil too then really you are better off saving up and sticking to the 30k km service intervals.

If you are doing oil changes every 6 or 10,000 miles then the cost of the real proper oil outweigh the cost of the filter for anything modern. if you want to economise on the oil too then really you are better off saving up and sticking to the 30k km service intervals.

An oil-filter should be costing you about a tenner. Anything else is ride-me-sideways-Wolfgang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Factory cars are still shipping with variable service intervals. If a dealer decides to change the car to fixed service intervals then it may be that they (or maybe their accountant) would like to see you more often. Its not just VW. Many Peugeot dealers advise 15,000km service intervals where the official service interval is 20,000 km. Not a big difference but it does add up.

AFAIK, DPF equipped VWs use 'long life' oil, regardless of the service frequency chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

The dealer was advised by vw Ireland to shorten the intervals, or so they say. The vw Ireland Web sites seems to be saying the same (for cars over 4 years old), I wonder has it anything to do with the emissions changes that these cars will get, either way over 2 years and 60k km that's over €430 of a difference in service changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

The dealer was advised by vw Ireland to shorten the intervals, or so they say. The vw Ireland Web sites seems to be saying the same (for cars over 4 years old), I wonder has it anything to do with the emissions changes that these cars will get, either way over 2 years and 60k km that's over €430 of a difference in service changes.

My cynical mind would suggest that the 4 year old point is significant. Why? Because manufacturers sell most of their cars to fleets. Fleets tend to keep cars for between 36-48 months maximum. Service intervals are set to suit fleet buyers bean counters.

Let's just say a large multi national, with an international agreement with a particular manufacturer, wants 200 cars. The lease company buys at rock bottom price and often similar vehicles from different brands are near enough the same cost except say more premium brands i.e. Ford or Peugeot versus VW. The former will be cheaper to purchase but have a poorer residual. The VW will have a higher purchase cost but better residual. The lease company effectively charges you for the depreciation so the VW wins.

Anyway how would you gain a competitive advantage in this squeezed to the limit market place? Simple, servicing. If Model A needs servicing every 20k times 4 services over the lease term (at 200 quid per service just for the sake of demonstration) then that's 800 quid per car over its lifetime with the lease company. Now compare Model B with 30k service intervals at similar costs. That's 600 quid for the same term. 200 quid, big deal! Well not if you've 2000 of that model on your fleet its not.

What I'm sayin is that these so called extended intervals are quite possibly detrimental to the condition of any car long term but short-term they're not so significant and make their vehicles more cost competitive. Hence for post 4 years old they suggest you service it more often.

Maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

My cynical mind would suggest that the 4 year old point is significant. Why? Because manufacturers sell most of their cars to fleets. Fleets tend to keep cars for between 36-48 months maximum. Service intervals are set to suit fleet buyers bean counters.

Let's just say a large multi national, with an international agreement with a particular manufacturer, wants 200 cars. The lease company buys at rock bottom price and often similar vehicles from different brands are near enough the same cost except say more premium brands i.e. Ford or Peugeot versus VW. The former will be cheaper to purchase but have a poorer residual. The VW will have a higher purchase cost but better residual. The lease company effectively charges you for the depreciation so the VW wins.

Anyway how would you gain a competitive advantage in this squeezed to the limit market place? Simple, servicing. If Model A needs servicing every 20k times 4 services over the lease term (at 200 quid per service just for the sake of demonstration) then that's 800 quid per car over its lifetime with the lease company. Now compare Model B with 30k service intervals at similar costs. That's 600 quid for the same term. 200 quid, big deal! Well not if you've 2000 of that model on your fleet its not.

What I'm sayin is that these so called extended intervals are quite possibly detrimental to the condition of any car long term but short-term they're not so significant and make their vehicles more cost competitive. Hence for post 4 years old they suggest you service it more often.

Maybe!
    A cynic might say that the private buyer who buys the ex lease car gets one which has a less than desirable service history and then gets to pay for the servicing that the car should have had with it's first owner.:)

Advertisement