Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EPA says Volkswagen cheated on emissions with 482,000 diesel cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The strange thing about this case is she's suing on the basis that the road tax and vrt amounts are supposedly technically incorrect so she might have to pay back the difference.
    Bit of an odd one as there has been no indication that revenue would do anything retrospectively.

Good luck to her then... It is more than insane for anyone that understands it, but court have no option but to ask for documentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/07/transport-secretary-diesel-taxes-could-be-hiked-to-cut-air-pollu/

I see there's talk about hiking the tax on diesels in the UK (again).

With the ever increasing amount of plug in hybrids available, and the vast majority of larger cars in the UK bought as company cars (and the associated CO2 based taxes that go with it), diesel was already starting to lose ground, but this, coupled with the forthcoming VED (car tax) changes from next year will definitely ensure that diesel won't be the most popular fuel in the UK for too much longer - already it's down to a 48% market share and that has been slowly decreasing over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Toyota pushing hybrids hard - trying to get around anxiety

As one former senior Toyota Ireland executive put it, years before the diesel scandal ever broke, ‘focusing on Co2 emissions by picking diesel is ridiculous. We’ll save the planet but none of us will be able to enjoy it because we’ll all be dead from lung cancer.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/toyota-will-swap-your-hybrid-if-you-re-not-happy-1.2679767

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

gctest50 wrote: »
    We’ll save the planet but none of us will be able to enjoy it because we’ll all be dead from lung cancer.”

nein/non! Diesel is good for you!

If there was any chance that they weren't, surely
    EU would require a proper emissions check for diesels as part of nct . ... wouldn't they? ;-) Even locally, the green party would have had enough environmental cop on to introduce extra tests when they told everyone to buy diesel. Ahahaha. ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Looks like there's some movement. Will see if it's going to pass...
    EU proposes stricter tests on car emissions from 2017 in wake of VW scandal
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-autos-tests-idUSKCN0Z11E5

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

reklamos wrote: »
    Looks like there's some movement. Will see if it's going to pass...
    EU proposes stricter tests on car emissions from 2017 in wake of VW scandal
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-autos-tests-idUSKCN0Z11E5

The UK might dodge that bullet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

eh i dunno wrote: »

Yep, we are going to pay for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

grogi wrote: »
    Yep, we are going to pay for it...

Totally worth it considering we get to drive these superb high power TDIs

• Advertisement

shietpilot wrote: »
    Totally worth it considering we get to drive these superb high power TDIs

HONESTLY THEYRE SO QUIET AND REFINED THESE DAYS I CAN HARDLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

WHAT?

Yeah ill put the bonnet down now. Jesus like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

HONESTLY THEYRE SO QUIET AND REFINED THESE DAYS I CAN HARDLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

WHAT?

Yeah ill put the bonnet down now. Jesus like.

As Edward Longshanks Plantagenet would have said: One is the King, you see.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What are the consequences of refusing this software update as I had my Audi serviced today and I had to sign a form saying that I was refusing to accept it..

Truckermal wrote: »
    What are the consequences of refusing this software update as I had my Audi serviced today and I had to sign a form saying that I was refusing to accept it..

You are refusing a service procedure that was designed according to the manufacturer standards and guidance.

VAG is not known for its goodwill when honouring warranties. While you might be advised it will not be immediately voided, you would not making yourself any favour with such refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Your car will be blacklisted and nobody will take it as a trade in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There are no consequences.

"Refusing" would imply it was forced on you. It was "offered" to you and you declined.

It's more of a formality that you do the paperwork as the dealers are supposed to offer the update to affected vehicles while they are on site. It's more to cover your dealers ass with Audi to prove they offered it to you rather than for Audi to use as ammo against you at a later date.

It certainly won't invalidate your warranty or reduce your chances of goodwill.

It certainly won't invalidate your warranty or reduce your chances of goodwill.

I wouldn't be so certain on this one. Any dealership who knows you were offered a software update and didn't take it will use it to defend any faults that happened to the car and blame it on the fact that you didn't get the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Did the form tell you if emmissions, fuel economy or power was effected by the proposed update?

In a civilised country, there would be a moral imperative to actually enable the pollution controls. Failing that, a financial penalty for not doing it. You bought a VW, deal with the consequences.
    angela-merkel-enda-kenny-2-752x501.jpg
    Somehow I can't see it happening here, even if the German people push for action as in kbannons link above.
    Apologies for anyone having their breakfast right now...
    PA-5857348-390x285.jpg
    "If I squeeze any harder you'll be a eunuch pixie head, don't you dare make a fuss about das auto"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I wouldn't be so certain on this one. Any dealership who knows you were offered a software update and didn't take it will use it to defend any faults that happened to the car and blame it on the fact that you didn't get the update.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Definitely wouldn't let it worry me.

VW are up **** creek enough with this without declining warranty claims on affected cars, imagine the headlines then. It would go against the grain of VW's whole approach to this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Definitely wouldn't let it worry me.

VW are up **** creek enough with this without declining warranty claims on affected cars, imagine the headlines then. It would go against the grain of VW's whole approach to this campaign.
    To be fair - if you were asking for out of warranty help from VW and you refused an update to which they have documented proof of - there wouldn't be much of a headline.
    You wouldn't have a leg to stand on. I can see why VW are asking people for signatures. It makes perfect sence.
    Edit: I agree that VW don't want any more bad press however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

BigCon wrote: »
    Did the form tell you if emmissions, fuel economy or power was effected by the proposed update?

Yes well it said the update would not effect any of the above..

Queen_A_Kind_Of_Magic.png

I can just imagine some person at Volkswagen writing the software update. The update features:
    • Increased software version from 2.349 to 2.410

Boom, alles ist gut!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Article: US VW owners get $20,000 - in Europe owners get plastic tubes
    In response to the emissions scandal European owners are getting software updates while US owners get cash compensation

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/us-vw-owners-get-20-000-in-europe-owners-get-plastic-tubes-1.2757916

People are becoming more disgruntled. The article says:
    The campaigns are attracting people like Jurgen Franz, a retired advertising executive in Munich who says his Volkswagen, a diesel Tiguan sport utility vehicle, burns more fuel after a software update that was part of a mandatory recall. He drives the same route every morning and now fills his tank more often.
    “Why are they getting so much and we’re getting nothing?” Franz said of US owners.

kbannon wrote: »
    Article: US VW owners get $20,000 - in Europe owners get plastic tubes
    In response to the emissions scandal European owners are getting software updates while US owners get cash compensation

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/us-vw-owners-get-20-000-in-europe-owners-get-plastic-tubes-1.2757916

People are becoming more disgruntled. The article says:

"The campaigns are attracting people like Jurgen Franz, a retired advertising executive in Munich who says his Volkswagen, a diesel Tiguan sport utility vehicle, burns more fuel after a software update that was part of a mandatory recall."

Nice link, cheers.

Is it mandatory in der fatherland? It's not here though is it? Or is it? Seems to be a lot of "they can prise those nox emissions from my cold dead hands" going on here.

Anyway, boards.ie in house experts categorically deny any change to efficiency or horsepower in the magic nox reduction software. So that's one less thing to worry about for the noxboys

Is it mandatory in der fatherland? It's not here though is it? Or is it? Seems to be a lot of "they can prise those nox emissions from my cold dead hands" going on here.

Rejecting a recommended maintenance on the engine might invalidate the warranty. VW is already very... accommodating when it comes to warranty claims... /s
    Anyway, boards.ie in house experts categorically deny any change to efficiency or horsepower in the magic nox reduction software. So that's one less thing to worry about for the noxboys

I don't recall anybody on the forum claiming that. Acutally @R.O.R. mentioned that some of the customers complained that consumption increased 1.5l / 100km...

But if the car still achieves the sames figures in NEDC, there is nothing to seek compensation for.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    I don't recall anybody on the forum claiming that.

We have a VERY long thread having a laugh at the idea of somebody in Ireland suing VW for being put in the situation of "pumping out a LOT of emissions despite being sold a 'clean' diesel" or "creating less emissions at the expense of efficiency or power".

"there's nothing wrong with them"
    "the fix changes nothing"
    "how is she losing out?"

Is the owner losing out or not?

Advertisement