Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Army

Options
  • 18-09-2015 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Would anyone be able to tell which army uniform is being worn in the attached photo, English / Irish. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The slightly floppy, broad hat makes me think it looks like it could be the National Army uniform (pro-treaty side/1920s Irish army) , but I'm no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

Agree that the cap is a strong clue - the Free State army cap was the made by the same suppliers as the British one except it had no wire insert around the brim, hence the tendency to go floppy like in the photo.

Another indicator is the collar - the soldier in the pic appears to have an upright one like the Free State army tunic whereas the British army one had a folded-down one: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Wn21-45a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Agree that the cap is a strong clue - the Free State army cap was the made by the same suppliers as the British one except it had no wire insert around the brim, hence the tendency to go floppy like in the photo.

Thanks for that, I never knew the reason why they were so floppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

That hat, collar and the FF cap badge nail it.

Just a point of clarification - but with the exception of certain Scottish regiments, ALL the British Army wore the same style of uniform jacket, not just the English. This pattern changed in 1938 to the well-known battle-dress that served until the early 1960's.

tac

Advertisement