Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes Movies

• 18-09-2015 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I've recently started downloading less and less stuff as I'd rather pay for good content these days.

I found a few older threads on iTunes movies, but nothing too recent.

My questions are:

Is it worth buying from iTunes?
    Do you actually own the content?
    Will I have it forever?
    They still use DRM for movies don't they?

Any help, musings, advice is appreciated!

For the record - I use Apple TV, a Mac and an iPhone. I do use Google services too though.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

Back to incessant Googling I guess! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

eebow wrote: »
    My questions are:

Is it worth buying from iTunes?
    Imo, at this moment in time — no. It’s more expensive than Blu-ray for less quality and extras.
    Do you actually own the content?
    No, you are purchasing a license to watch it at home. Which is technically all you get with a DVD/Blu-ray as well, but you also get a disc to do with as you please.
    Will I have it forever?
    It depends. If your hard drive fails and you’ve no backup and the studio has pulled the film(s) from the Store in the interim, then you won’t be able to re-download. Or if 20 years from now Apple has gone bust then you may find yourself with a bunch of DRM’d iTunes files that won’t play on anything. DVD and Blu-ray is less dependent on software than Digital DLs.
    They still use DRM for movies don't they?
    Yes, and with things moving toward subscription services, that’s unlikely to ever change.

Thanks for that.

I'll pass on buying movies from iTunes so! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've rented the odd one here and there, both from iTunes and from Google Play.

I honestly don't see the point in purchasing them - in reality, how often are you going to re-watch a film? Unlike music, there are very few films that I would watch more than once (aside from Terminator 2 and Start Wars, of course).

That's true.

But what I was looking to do was to buy a few of my favourites over time - Star Wars, Die Hard, all the rewatchable hits! :)

I got rid of my DVD's years ago as they were taking up too much space for what little space I had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Buying favourites on any format is fine. Between VHS, DVD, Blu-ray and remastered/special edition versions of same, I've bought many of the same films multiple times. The main thing I'd advise against with iTunes is buying everything, the way people used to buy DVDs sight unseen.

Sadly, unlike music, the streaming options for movies are very limited and subscription services like Netflix are more focused on self-produced binge-viewing content. The film studios seem committed to blocking the efforts of Apple and others from changing this until they have failed at their own.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I don't think I'll use it to buy everything, like I used to with DVD's - going in and picking up 4 or 5 movies just to have in the collection.

Advertisement