Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim coach - one to one sessions

Options
  • 18-09-2015 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

Can someone recommend me a swim coach ideally in the North East but would consider North Dublin. Really looking for someone who will start with basic technique and get back to basics. Jumping into a masters or group swim session not really what I need as it's just re enforcing bad habits.

5 years in tri and always struggled with swim, 80min is fastest IM swim and often tired coming out of it. I want to become a sub 70 IM swimmer but more importantly come out of the water fresher. I have really poor technique. Ideally looking for one to one sessions with on deck feedback.

Should add I would go with Tango in our club as he is excellent but realistically travelling south side not an option with available time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Not what you asked for, but I went to B2R for a 90 min swim analysis last year. I'm considering doing the same again this year. I've seen a bug jump since last year.

A lot of people seem to rate Mary Laverty very highly locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

RJM85 wrote: »
    Not what you asked for, but I went to B2R for a 90 min swim analysis last year. I'm considering doing the same again this year. I've seen a bug jump since last year.

Have done that about 3 years ago.

I can see how it would and wouldn't work. I was given drills and things to work on, which I didn't really do, but coming out of the session I had a better picture of what was causing the deficiencies I could already feel if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

So why expect further 1 on 1 analysis to work?

How often do you swim a week? Devil's advocate here, but 80min--->70min 3.8k shouldn't require anything more than applying yourself often, a generic program or masters/group sessions should suffice. Nothing more to offer than that, sorry!

• Advertisement

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    So why expect further 1 on 1 analysis to work?

How often do you swim a week? Devil's advocate here, but 80min--->70min 3.8k shouldn't require anything more than applying yourself often, a generic program or masters/group sessions should suffice. Nothing more to offer than that, sorry!

So far off the mark KG, done the volume approach and it does not work or get the gains I need, sometimes swimming 5 times a week and 10km + a week. If you don't have the fundamentals landed all your doing is encouraging further bad form, even more so in a group setting.

I need to be more efficient in the water, I drag my body through the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So far off the mark KG, done the volume approach and it does not work or get the gains I need, sometimes swimming 5 times a week and 10km + a week. If you don't have the fundamentals landed all your doing is encouraging further bad form, even more so in a group setting.

I'm the same Fran, done consistent training, done minimal training and see very little difference in terms of the time committed.

If I applied the same time given to swimming say to running or biking I will see a massive time improvement ie 3 hours extra biking per week consistently will see minutes off rather than seconds.

I swim to stay swim fit but don't over commit. You are right to look at the basic form but some of us are not destined to be natural swimmers so at this stage of life I'm fighting an upstream battle for improvements (in swim)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i know you did the analysis in b2r, but i highly recommend a 1 on 1 session with the lads in athlone. i'm not sure i was at the wall where increased volume would have made no difference, but i know i was struggling with my stroke. improved speed was just improved effort, and not in a linear fashion. 1 session with them made a big difference. it's in a proper 25m pool, you get a set of headphones for in water feedback. i'd value analysis in a proper pool way more than i would an endless pool.

made a huge difference for me, little tough to explain, it didn't make me faster, but it sorted my stroke out to the point that i can see how it will get faster, i.e. i'm holding the same speed for less effort so working on upping the effort while maintaining the stroke over the winter and i know i will get faster.

not saying do that instead of the masters, i'd throw on a masters if i had a decent one near me, but if i were you it would be first step. you might get some feedback in a masters, but nothing of this level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Can someone recommend me a swim coach ideally in the North East but would consider North Dublin. Really looking for someone who will start with basic technique and get back to basics. Jumping into a masters or group swim session not really what I need as it's just re enforcing bad habits.

5 years in tri and always struggled with swim, 80min is fastest IM swim and often tired coming out of it. I want to become a sub 70 IM swimmer but more importantly come out of the water fresher. I have really poor technique. Ideally looking for one to one sessions with on deck feedback.

Should add I would go with Tango in our club as he is excellent but realistically travelling south side not an option with available time.

I know Oliver Harkin (primed coaching ) is in the NE.
    Not sure how far away from you he is.

Might be worth looking into.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I know for me I deteriorated (I got slower overall) during the year when I dropped solo, slower, stroke focused sessions for 'fast' club sessions (pretty much the same as a masters session)
    Everyone's different, KG would probably have a good build for swimming, long limbs, flippers for feet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I went to Oliver harkin he works out of fleda in Dundalk he is very good and does video analysis and drills.
    Also Sinead mc Breen does or did a Friday night endurance session that aimed at about 3.5/4 k. The session are great to push along longer swims. Much easier in a group environment imho.
    She works out of mackievic pool in Dublin and clontarf for sessions
    she is a swim smooth coach and very good for 1 to 1 also I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

U need someone on the bank drilling it into u when the strike fades.

At this stage fran pretty much knows what needs to be fixed. It's just hard to fix it on ur own.

A good master session won't do any harm and I would specifically tell whoever is coaching it to give u feedback.

You (or many triathletes) will never have a perfect stroke but you don't need it so be careful whoever u go to doesn't try and turn the stroke into something pretty !!! Just the basics. Body position and the under water pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

North side of Dub the 2 I would recommend are Peter Kern of PB3 or Mark Waters of 3d and Sub 60. Have been swimming with Peter for 3 years. If I miss a few sessions yet still cover the same distance on my own I would lose about 2-3 mins over 1500m. Don't care what anyone says u will never replicate the intensity of team sessions and trying to hang onto faster feet on your own. Exactly what Meadbh says.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Is your goal to swim sub 70 or become a better swimmer?

I second KGs question. What benefit of 1-1 coaching do you envisage that you cannot expect to achieve on your own?

I've seen lots of guys n gals shell out the bucks to get stroke correction coaching and taking the same position in the same lines on the same mornings doing the same thing.

You have the discipline and patience to build bike power, get a proper fit, build handling skills climbing, racing, descending, TTing. You have the discipline and patience to coach groups of others, to stick to a program, to put the work in.

I'm not saying 1-1 coaching is not the answer but I'm challenging your need for it when you are already aware of the main technical faults? Addressing those technical faults with discipline and patience is one thing.

You treat swimming as a chore. You don't enjoy it. You treat an occasional OW swim as a necessary evil and will give out about choppy conditions. Learning to enjoy swimming is another thing.

If you need a refresher to identify your main technical faults, pay someone or ask a coach nicely to give you a half hour 1-1 to break down your stroke into workable chunks. Take a chunk at a time starting with the one that addresses the weakness that leads to the other weaknesses. Then focus on it every single length you do, no matter the setting, group, speed, solo, drills etc. Thats another thing.

What tips have you had before? What are you prepared to shell out to hear the very same stuff? If it is simply someone to stand over you on the pool deck to make you do X then back to the original point. Do you need someone standing over you to churn out some bike pain?

I get your point about doing the same bad things will just further reinforce the bad habits. Well hang on a minute! Don't swim another single stroke! Don't tolerate it. If the pace you are swimming or effort required is too much for you to focus on something that is benefitting the breaking of those habits. Stop! Dial it back. Start again. Reinforce something technically positive every length, every swim, every week. You can build volume on top of a solid technical foundation.

I have to agree with KG on the 3 times a week, Masters situation. If you approach it right you can come on leaps and bounds in a group setting with your own focus in tandem. Do the same ole same ole and guess what?!

If anyone can do it Fran, you can. Just change your mindset and get ready to put in the hard yards (concentration wise). Sub 70 is a realistic goal for you IMO

Another thing. Start counting your strokes at CSS pace. I find counting my strokes for a length at the start of a swim session and checking it again midway, usually higher, acts as a good reminder to lengthen my stroke, thus look for the efficiency again.

The thing with swimming, as with most things but especially swimming, is that you won't improve hugely week on week but the right focus and work will get you your goals

A bit wordy but just my 2c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Mr Tango wrote: »
    U need someone on the bank drilling it into u when the strike fades.

At this stage fran pretty much knows what needs to be fixed. It's just hard to fix it on ur own.

A good master session won't do any harm and I would specifically tell whoever is coaching it to give u feedback.

You (or many triathletes) will never have a perfect stroke but you don't need it so be careful whoever u go to doesn't try and turn the stroke into something pretty !!! Just the basics. Body position and the under water pull.

@ Fran - whoever you swim with next it might be worth introducing them with El Tango above via email so that what needs to be watched can be highlighted. I know the B2R guys used to get in touch with coaches if a swimmer was in with them to pass on formally what they saw.

For what its worth I couldn't agree more will his sentiments above. Maintaining the most efficient stroke for as long as possible is 'learned' in training - tricky for coaches to watch everyone all of the time but it does sound like you have already addressed many of the issues (via B2R and Darren already) - and you probably know how you feel when holding good stroke and when you're not at this stage.

p.s.
    Id extend the 'you (or many triathletes) will never have a perfect stroke' to many age group or masters swimmers too btw ;) The list of top distance swimmers that don't have the textbook perfect stroke continues to grow.

Mr Tango wrote: »

Sums it up perfectly,
    Poor balance
    Poor body position
    And a lot of other things i am not aware of.

The 3 or 4 big items need to be drilled into me from the deck, perhaps 1 or 2 sessions a month.

Some really good posts and advice above, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Your biggest weakness in all disciplines, but particularly in the swim was/is a lack of patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

What I am just dying to know is what IM in 2016 you are targeting ;)

Abhainn wrote: »
    What I am just dying to know is what IM in 2016 you are targeting ;)

Mont Tremblant

• Advertisement
Advertisement