Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with cleaning a pot

Options
  • 18-09-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Yeah, I know this is an odd one but I couldn't find any forums that were really relevant to my question so I can at least post it here so someone can point to a local place where I can find what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I lent an aluminium pot to someone and for some reason they used bleach to clean it. What's worse, is they let the bleach sit in the pot so now the bottom two inches are pitch black. I've looked online to find stuff to help remove it and all I could find are American products of which I have no idea if they've equivalents here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Throw it away and buy a new one since you'll probably end up spending money on the products to clean it anyway. Or else give it back to the stupid kunt that used bleach and tell them they ruined it so they can keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

citric acid might do it. you can get it in chemists for cleaning kettles and baby bottle sterilisers
    costs about €3

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

That's perfect thanks. It was one of those huge pots from Dunnes for like 12 euros as a temporary thing and I'd rather have it rather than chucking it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Not sure if it works on Aluminium pots but....my dear old granny used to boil rhubarb in her pots for an hour (or two?) to clean them. Something about the Oxalic acid in rhubarb perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Try Washing Soda Crystals not the finer powder, let it soak in hot water for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try bread soda and lemon juice.
    Also try posting in the cooking forum.
    You could also just ignore the black.
    Aluminium is, apparently, not a good material to cook in for health reasons and makes rubbish pots anyway. Maybe just write it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I burnt a stew badly a few years ago and had reckoned my pot was wrecked but got it good as new.
    Smash up a dishwasher tablet into powder, half fill the pot with water and bring to the boil then let it simmer for 30mins.
    Worth a go anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

My ex housemate burnt an aluminium pot, so poured in a bottle of Coke and brought it to the boil. She then let it simmer away for a couple of hours and the pot was back the way it was!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Some of these remedies made me curious to ask, often when I cook scrambled eggs cleaning the pot can be a chore because even if I didn't burn it there's still leftovers stubbornly stuck to the bottom and it's hard to scrub it completely clean. Any way to just put something in, boil and leave it soak and then easily scrub off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Fine sand paper will do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Some of these remedies made me curious to ask, often when I cook scrambled eggs cleaning the pot can be a chore because even if I didn't burn it there's still leftovers stubbornly stuck to the bottom and it's hard to scrub it completely clean. Any way to just put something in, boil and leave it soak and then easily scrub off?

Cook your scrambled eggs in a frying pan and the clean up will be a breeze.

Advertisement