Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear The Walking Dead | Season 1 | Episode 4 | Not Fade Away [AMC] [SPOILERS]

• 18-09-2015 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Fear The Walking Dead - Season 1

Episode 4 - "Not Fade Away"

Airdate - September 20th on AMC at 9/8c | September 21st on AMC UK at 2am (and again at 9pm)

Note; AMC UK is now airing new epsiodes at the same time as the US airing on AMC, at 2am on Monday mornings.
    Madison and Travis see different sides of the National Guard's occupation in their neighborhood; the family tries to adapt to the new world.

How did you rate this epsiode? 44 votes

0%
    9%
    degrassinoelAlso Starring LeVar BurtontheoldbreedFlippyfloppy 4 votes
    15%
    crushproofKleine HundinDandelion6[Deleted User]The Domonatorricerosabhail 7 votes
    31%
    WashoutduridianNUTZZrobby^5Tony EHswiftbladeFootooparttimepedatronsuffering golferForeign Sportsgeosynchronous orbitPete MossAvatar MIA 14 votes
    22%
    geeceefrashDuckStabMcGrath5Sudden ValleyCasey78pc7dwdAlfred Bordenclever user name 10 votes
    6%
    Rob30888brianregan09Charlie19 3 votes
    4%
    Hank Scorpiodavo2001 2 votes
    4%
    uprooted traditiondpofloinn 2 votes
    0%
    4%
    Keplar240Bpesmfor 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Things are starting to get really interesting. The ending was fab. Can't wait for the next episode. Shame there's only two left. It's been a slow burn but the tension is building up nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

My only gripe is that I wish they would speed things up slightly. But other than that I'm liking it. I'm guessing the 6th episode is where the sh*t finally hits the fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Not one walker to be seen. I think the idea of doing that was excellent. It gave a full perspective of how the army tried to handle the situation before imminent failure.

Washout wrote: »
    Not one walker to be seen. I think the idea of doing that was excellent. It gave a full perspective of how the army tried to handle the situation before imminent failure.
    Their reaction was shoot to kill, whether infected or not. Imagine the carnage when a walker inevitably breaches the perimeter. Travis and Maddy have woken up to the fact that the army are not their benevolent saviours and I hope they put together a plan with the Spanish dude to go to the medical facility, get their people and get the hell out of dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭crushproof

This is brilliant, top episode and contray to many others I'm loving the slow build up - properly portrays the fear among both citizens and army - as well the delusion of some army officers.
    After seeing the shooting at the end I hope they hatch a plan to get the hell outta there asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Yeah good episode with a strong storyline. Great sesne of dread built up through this episode. only weakness so far, for me, has been the lack of engaging characters. The older Hispanic guy is good but the family members are a bit boring- even the junkie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

has the sister gone a bit nuts too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Good ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

has the sister gone a bit nuts too?

I was wondering that myself. Was she trying to tattoo something onto her arm with a hypodermic needle?

Liza going along to the "hospital"/quarantine camp will probably give them an advantage in the long run when it comes to the breakout, even though the others blame her for reporting Nick as an addict.

The light signalling person could turn out to be this show's Morgan, or it could be someone who has already escaped from the "hospital", maybe even a bit of both. With just two episodes remaining, clearly the rescue from the "hospital" is gonna be the finale, with the next one laying the groundwork. Similarities with the main series mid-Season 5 finale?

If this is how the military/authorities have behaved cross country towards the citizens then it is easy to see why they fail to contain the zombie apocalypse, as they will come to be fighting both the living and the dead. (Yikes, that sounds like something out of a religious creed.) :eek:

duridian wrote: »
    The light signalling person could turn out to be this show's Morgan, or it could be someone who has already escaped from the "hospital", maybe even a bit of both.
    Travis told the army dude that there was someone trying to signal. The army guy told him there was no one out there and to forget it. At the very end, Travis is sitting on top of the house and is looking over at the building, where he can see and hear machine gun fire. The army murdered whoever was surviving over there and also Travis's naivety. It echos what Madison said to Daniel about seeing bodies shot to death who weren't infected. The army hasn't a clue what is going on and is in overkill mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I was thinking maybe the building that the light was coming from is the "hospital"?

Superb episode anyway, and I really didn't like the last one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Much better episode really well done, so glad Salazar didn't go to the hospital he's going to be great when the **** hits.

my only gripe is that nick put back in the old man clothes he robbed from the hospital, it's very irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

duridian wrote: »
    I was wondering that myself. Was she trying to tattoo something onto her arm with a hypodermic needle?

the bf drew some kind of design or symbol on her arm with a marker in Ep1, and she was doing a "prison tattoo" kind of thing with a needle and ink over that design so she can keep it, it looked kind of faded, and according to the son of Travis it's "Day 9", so over a week since she got drawn on, no wonder it's fading.

I don't think she's nuts, but she hasn't seen many zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭unreg999

Paddy Cow wrote:
    Travis told the army dude that there was someone trying to signal. The army guy told him there was no one out there and to forget it. At the very end, Travis is sitting on top of the house and is looking over at the building, where he can see and hear machine gun fire. The army murdered whoever was surviving over there and also Travis's naivety. It echos what Madison said to Daniel about seeing bodies shot to death who weren't infected. The army hasn't a clue what is going on and is in overkill mode.

No it wasn't machine gun fire he saw it was the same flashing light the son saw earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

unreg999 wrote: »
    No it wasn't machine gun fire he saw it was the same flashing light the son saw earlier.

I thought it was gun fire myself, it look like it. My initial thought that it was some kind of killing chamber. I doubt it's the hospital as why would the doctor bring the ex-wife to that.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

unreg999 wrote: »

It was absolutely gun shots that were seen and heard.
    This episode ends with Travis seeing gunshots in the same windows where his son Chris saw S.O.S. signals the day before, suggesting that the national guard may be executing everyone outside their controlled zones, whether they're zombies or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It was absolutely gun shots that were seen and heard.

Definitely ...... And presumably gunshots from the army after he inadvertently tipped them off.

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Doh!
    I remember that scene, it was set around sunset/sunrise, darker time anyway and I thought at the time that the flashes were the signaler using a torch to signal instead of a mirror/sunlight. Can't believe i didn't connect the gunfire with it, I think i believed it was closer to the enclosed "safe" zone or something.
    What you said makes a lot more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm really enjoying this. Heres hoping the quality can continue for the last two episodes. I expect a few of them to die by the last episode

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

ricero wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this. Heres hoping the quality can continue for the last two episodes. I expect a few of them to die by the last episode

hopefully and i hope some strong characters materialise. Im just not taken by the lead characters in this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Interesting episode, although fairly predictable as well. the army were never going to be good guys in this scenario. They are essentially trying to maintain a prison camp for only healthy people while they try and kill everything outside of the 'safe' areas, but obviously it'll all fail and fall apart for them soon as well.

I wonder will the army guy who was with the hispanic daughter become a regular? I know he was a main character in Southland for a few seasons, so I'm guessing his role will be more than a cameo. I hope that if/when a group of survivors leave that camp that there aren't a few army guys as them being in charge will be a storyline in itself, and we can do without that really.

The woman cutting the wire to get out could well lead to the dead getting in at some point, but I'm assuming they will just use that to escape soon as well. The junkie being at the 'hospital' though will complicate things as I'm sure they'll want to go rescue him.

There is no way the mother/ex wife would have voluntarily got on that truck though and I thought that was a bit silly. The world is falling apart and she voluntarily leaves her only child to go with people she doesn't really know and have proven themselves untrustworthy? That doesn't stack up at all.

5starpool wrote: »
    There is no way the mother/ex wife would have voluntarily got on that truck though and I thought that was a bit silly. The world is falling apart and she voluntarily leaves her only child to go with people she doesn't really know and have proven themselves untrustworthy? That doesn't stack up at all.

My take on it was that once Liza realized that Nick being taken forcibly to the "hospital" by these military guys (now revealed as untrustworthy aholes) was her fault she decided that
    1. Madison and the rest were gonna be severely pissed at her if she stayed
    and
    2. She thought she might be able to redeem herself and help rescue him by going along. I think she was trying to say something in to Madison but couldn't be heard through the windows glass and commotion outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

5starpool wrote: »
    Interesting episode, although fairly predictable as well. the army were never going to be good guys in this scenario. They are essentially trying to maintain a prison camp for only healthy people while they try and kill everything outside of the 'safe' areas, but obviously it'll all fail and fall apart for them soon as well.

I wonder will the army guy who was with the hispanic daughter become a regular? I know he was a main character in Southland for a few seasons, so I'm guessing his role will be more than a cameo. I hope that if/when a group of survivors leave that camp that there aren't a few army guys as them being in charge will be a storyline in itself, and we can do without that really.

The woman cutting the wire to get out could well lead to the dead getting in at some point, but I'm assuming they will just use that to escape soon as well. The junkie being at the 'hospital' though will complicate things as I'm sure they'll want to go rescue him.

You forget they have been there for 9 days without major incidents and that the doctor has been moving freely so there was no reason for the ex-wife to not think her son wouldnt be relatively safe and that she couldn't get back, obviously she would have doubts (hence the hesistation) but ulitmately she has no real reason to not trust them.

At the end of the day we (the viewers) have the benefit of knowing what going to happen but in their situation, given they have no clue what is going on or what happening elsewhere, it is only natural that they will make load of mistakes and naive decisions as they have no prior experiences to draw on.

In a way we are their hindsight thinking for for them, and actually that is what is making this series so great is that it is coming from a viewer angle that haven't been done before.

Hate the main family though, and am I bad for hoping they all die :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That was my favourite episode of the series so far. I always think the opposite to the people saying it's not moving along quickly enough, because I really enjoy the slow pace set up and character development - which is something they neglected on The Walking Dead until the second part of season 4 with everyone split up and making their way to Terminus, which were some of my favourite episodes (contrary to popular opinion, I know)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,490 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Loving the pace of this show and can't understand all the guff from some people about it being "slow". In fact, to be perfectly honest, I'd have made it some what slower. The 4 episodes seem to have gone from A to B to C to M. But, I'll hold off judgement until the current series is over.

For years zombie film fans have wanted to see how shit falls apart and it's often been too expensive or awkward to film. Romero had to simply show the lights go out in the city, because his 2 million dollar budget couldn't stretch to anything else for 'Dawn of the Dead'. 'Fear the Walking Dead' is handling things very well in that regard. It's a slow, steady collapse, apparently exacerbated by humanity's own corruption, with riots in the streets and a ham-fisted, OTT military response.

There's also a lot of interesting questions being raised. What's happening at these "facilities" and why exactly are the army shooting living people, when their basic remit should be to protect them and kill the walkers? Did the "flasher" know something and were they trying to inform the people in the compound? Why were they murdered?

Over all, this has been much better than I thought it would be, with some decent performances too. Kim Dickens and Frank Dillane being particularly good.

My only gripe is that there's just 6 episodes in the running. That's just bloody annoying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

My take is that the Army are looking out for themselves and have no real orders from any authority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

They'd also know there's a finite number of resources, and a certain land area they can properly protect. I'd say they are sourcing important/ useful people. Anyone not a doc, or teacher etc will probably be shot.

Why are they suddenly shooting everyone sick or healthy, when they allowed everyone on their estate stay in the safe area? Maybe they think anyone out there that long has to be infected? As they don't know how it's transmitted?

Or why are they taking the sick away? Is it because they know when you die you turn? Or because they want to kill anyone who could weaken the group?

Too many questions! I think the southland guy will be our link to the thoughts/ movements of the army. Although he annoyed me in southland....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Well i do also think its moving waaay too slow, they probably should have left this army rescue until season two. Not that im not a fan of slow pace/tension building. Its just theres only 6 episodes this season and this only leaves two left, so i dont see much happening, other than them escaping which as you can see, is predictable :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

nix wrote: »
    Well i do also think its moving waaay too slow, they probably should have left this army rescue until season two.

Wouldn't that make it move even slower? :confused:
    i dont see much happening, other than them escaping which as you can see, is predictable :(

I don't think it's that predictable, they could easily just kill them all off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dandelion6 wrote: »

I don't think it's that predictable, they could easily just kill them all off.

Well, we can live in hope...

Advertisement