Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term savings withdrawal

• 18-09-2015 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi. I opened a long term savings account for an 18 month fixed term, roughly 27 months ago with KBC. I ignored this account as much as possible, I set it up anticipating drawing down a mortgage late last year or early this year. I am now hopefully in a position to finally take out a mortgage.

I did not read the terms and conditions carefully enough as it appears that at the end of a fixed term contract, as they didn't receive explicit instructions to the contrary, I was automatically enrolled in another 18 month contract. I rang KBC today to enquire about the possibility of removing my savings and the person at the end of the phone was quite adamant that I would not be able to withdraw my savings until the end of the new term, in 9 months time.

I appreciate that I should have read the T&Cs more thoroughly but does anyone have any experience with having a bank use their discretion to allow you to exit a long term savings account early. I would be happy to forego any interest or pay a penalty as required but not being able to access these savings would really put a dent in my hopes for drawing down a mortgage this year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Your options:
    - Some KBC term deposit products allow a withdrawal up to 25%. Ask can you do a partial withdrawal.
    - Ring KBC and ask to speak to a manager. Beg to be allowed access. A good sob story helps.
    - Go into KBC face to face in the HQ and speak to someone directly there. Again, beg and give your sob story.
    - Worst case, take out a personal loan with KBC using your term deposit as collateral for the personal loan.

Some banks, like Nationwide UK (Ireland) allow a 100% early withdrawal, subject to a reasonable penalty. Others like KBC roll your term deposit without your express prior consent in writing on maturity date and then do not allow full withdrawal. There is a lot to be said for choosing Nationwide UK (Ireland) term deposit products over KBC.

Advertisement