Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 V DC Battery

Options
  • 19-09-2015 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for somewhere in Dublin that will sell 12 V DC rechargeable battery to power strip of LED's (Working Input Voltage: 12VDC, Working Current/meter: 1A, Output power: 60W/5 Metre)

None of the typical places seem to stock these unless I go online. Any suggestions where I could walk in and buy?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Have you tried Maplin, probably expensive though.
    Halfords may also supply small lead acid batteries, not sure though.

What size battery do you need? Obviously the longer you need it to last the bigger the battery will be.

Do you have a charger?

What battery technology are you planning to use, lead-acid, NiCad, Lithium ion?
    All have their advantages/disadvantages depending on usage, cost etc.

I was going to have a look at your website in your sig., but no flash player on my iPad :-(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robh71 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking for somewhere in Dublin that will sell 12 V DC rechargeable battery to power strip of LED's (Working Input Voltage: 12VDC, Working Current/meter: 1A, Output power: 60W/5 Metre)

None of the typical places seem to stock these unless I go online. Any suggestions where I could walk in and buy?

Thanks

Motorbike shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭robh71

Hi

I should have added that I am looking for a relatively small battery. Motorobike and Car battery types will be too big. Can be no larger than 4 cm thickness to fit in back of frame.

Maplins no joy unfortunately

Is there any electrical warehouse that may stock these

@Brightspark - Not sure really about the different types. Obviously a longer lasting type would be good with a budget of €50 or so. I dont have charger. I have seen types on ebay all coming from Hong Kong so will be probably be Christmas before I get it. Here is one such type

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Super-Durable-Rechargeable-Protable-Li-ion-Battery-DC-12V-20000mAh-Plug-/311393587733?hash=item4880811215

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭deandean

phone or drop into europower battery centre, tolka business park near glasnevin.
    they have a massive selection and they are helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭robh71

Excellent, Thanks Dean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You are looking for a small Yuasa type battery. Try Farnell who can supply in IE. However these LED strips run at about 15 watts per metre so you will not get much run time from 5 metres in a small battery which will be around 2ah. Also lumen output will be low. If you are designing something drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

RS also stock a good range, but you're talking a chunky battery to power that for any considerable amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

Electro maintenance in baldoyle industrial estate are good for batteries. They'll probably have the right battery in stock

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If this is a permanent feature you would be better looking at getting a low voltage cable to it and use a good PSU.

Advertisement