Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview Board Composition

Options
  • 19-09-2015 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Anybody know where the procedures for appointing members to an interview board for primary schools and ETB can be found? In the ETB I think a politician must be involved but who else? What about the primary sector? Is the composition strictly defined or is it the principal's call?
    If someone is appointed to an interview board what are the procedures for deselecting her/him? (For example, it is found out that X is a friend to a candidate but X denies this) Is there a relevant circular for primary/ETB that deals with this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

At primary it's principal, chairperson and an independent assessor appointed by the patron in consultation with the chairperson. There's a panel of independent assessors. If it's for the appointment of a principal it's the chairperson and two independent assessors.There must be at least one woman/one man.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

At primary it's principal, chairperson and an independent assessor appointed by the patron in consultation with the chairperson. There's a panel of independent assessors. If it's for the appointment of a principal it's the chairperson and two independent assessors.There must be at least one woman/one man.

Thank you for that. That's helpful.

I suppose I am really interested in ETB situation. There seems to be a bigger board with more potential for issues to emerge. I read of one board having seven members. However, the essence of my question in this context is:how can a member of an interview board be deselected? So if the Principal, for example, has a change of mind about X being on the interview board, what can be done to remove X? There must be a procedure laid down.

There's a code of practice for the governance of ETBs which deals with conflicts of interest. You obviously have something specific in mind so I have no idea whether that's covered or not.

There's a code of practice for the governance of ETBs which deals with conflicts of interest. You obviously have something specific in mind so I have no idea whether that's covered or not.

OK
    I have scoured the ETB website looking for same but to no avail.
    How do you know there is such a code of practice? Have you seen it?

Does it only refer to conflict of interests? It is a strange situation because I am sure there are other reasons why a principal would want to remove someone from an interview board than just that.

Perhaps principal has lost confidence in X, or has had a serious falling out with X. No conflict of interests at all. Then what does the principal do?

Thanks again.

OK
    I have scoured the ETB website looking for same but to no avail.
    How do you know there is such a code of practice? Have you seen it?

Does it only refer to conflict of interests? It is a strange situation because I am sure there are other reasons why a principal would want to remove someone from an interview board than just that.

Perhaps principal has lost confidence in X, or has had a serious falling out with X. No conflict of interests at all. Then what does the principal do?

Thanks again.

Link

• Advertisement

This document is broady aspirational and does not deal in nitty gritty procedure as in, for example, a complaints procedure: stage 1 this is done, stage 2 this is done. I will continue looking.

Thanks for the link, your time and your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

This document is broady aspirational and does not deal in nitty gritty procedure as in, for example, a complaints procedure: stage 1 this is done, stage 2 this is done. I will continue looking.

Thanks for the link, your time and your comments.

If you have a problem talk to your union

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Etb boards usually have a' local' politician who in most cases wouldn't know a history or geography book if it fell on his head.Also there will be a 'teacher' of sorts who retired about 200 million years ago and dosen't have a clue what is happening in education at present.You will note that these people will also read from a prepared script and may stutter over the question!

Advertisement