Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCI PART TIME Higher Diploma in Science in Computing

Options
  • 19-09-2015 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi All,

Has anyone some info about PART TIME Higher Diploma in Science in Computing in NCI?
    What is the time table like? ( I work full time)
    Is it every Saturday as well?and how many evening?
    Any observation about the quality of the program?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'm not a part-time student but I know that Saturday morning is on the timetable for part time in Computing. I suggest attending one of the evening open days to find the information you are looking for. The staff at these events will be more than happy to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

By this stage your question may be answered but I'll continue none the less.

Im a full-time worker who recently completed the Higher Diploma in computing (Cloud computing stream).

The college - I liked it over. Its well located and lecturers and support staff are helpful. Sometimes the Admin aspects of registration and queries seem like they don't know what theyre doing. The facilities are good though by year end the computers were in bits and literally taking 20 minutes to boot up to a usable state.

The course - TBH I wouldn't recommend it fully, it gives you a good grounding and introduction to computing etc and while its a decent starting point I would argue you're not 'job-ready' when you leave. There would still be alot of room for further study unless you want to go the intern route. The hours, around 18 hours a week (M/W/F/S for me) is a big undertaking for someone with a job. Most or a large chunk of your class will be Springboard (you might qualify even if you are working) and they will have 35-40 hours more time to work on projects than you do.

The lecturers are pretty cognisant of this though. Its still tough, particularly when you have lectures, study for Continuous Assessments, Exams and Projects to do.

I'm now looking for an additional course for further qualifications but will not go back to NCI unless they were to have a more reasonable timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Privat

Hi Diceicle,
    Thanks for your answer. I have already realized that the labs, where we should get a lot of hands on practice on programming etc. are pretty useless, so I am afraid of the fact, that at the end of the course I wont be job ready even dough I do a lot of self study....
    Just wondering do you know anything about the "work placement" or work experience, that the college offers in the 3rd semester?
    Are they going to find one for me? is it for 3 months?

In the second semester, is there a big Project or more smaller ones? and is there one in the 3rd semester too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bgamer

Privat wrote: »
    Hi Diceicle,
    Thanks for your answer. I have already realized that the labs, where we should get a lot of hands on practice on programming etc. are pretty useless, so I am afraid of the fact, that at the end of the course I wont be job ready even dough I do a lot of self study....
    Just wondering do you know anything about the "work placement" or work experience, that the college offers in the 3rd semester?
    Are they going to find one for me? is it for 3 months?

In the second semester, is there a big Project or more smaller ones? and is there one in the 3rd semester too?

Hi I've finished the first year part time in computing and the labs are atrocious. I work in a company where there are 3rd year full timers doing their internship I think it's over the course of the summer before the final year. And they help you get internships or you do it yourself, otherwise there's courses i've seen on the site you can do instead of it, or if you are unable to find one.

Not sure about projects, in 3rd year but it might be shown in the course details on their site. I know there's one in 4th year. Hope that helps.

Advertisement