Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT032 Civil Engineering years 4 and 5

Options
  • 19-09-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I'm currently in my first year of a 5 year part time civil engineering course in DIT (BEngTech ordinary degree) and I was wondering if anyone who has completed this degree could tell me about years 4 and 5. I was under the assumption that the entirety of the 5 years would be part time but appearantly the timetable can change drastically in years 4 and 5 depending on class numbers etc. Can anyone tell me about their experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ushm wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently in my first year of a 5 year part time civil engineering course in DIT (BEngTech ordinary degree) and I was wondering if anyone who has completed this degree could tell me about years 4 and 5. I was under the assumption that the entirety of the 5 years would be part time but appearantly the timetable can change drastically in years 4 and 5 depending on class numbers etc. Can anyone tell me about their experience?

I done it in 2002 and graduated in 2007.
    Completed it all part time. They may have changed their class schedules to make it possible to get the Level 7 in one year instead of 2 now but you would have to check directly with the department head.

Don't forget to join Engineers Ireland as a student member. It's free while you are in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ushm

kceire wrote: »
    I done it in 2002 and graduated in 2007.
    Completed it all part time. They may have changed their class schedules to make it possible to get the Level 7 in one year instead of 2 now but you would have to check directly with the department head.

Don't forget to join Engineers Ireland as a student member. It's free while you are in college.
    Hi Kceire thanks for replying. When you did years 4 and 5 what was your timetable like? Was it still one evening a week and one full day? Also were you tempted to go on and do the level 8 hons degree?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi Kceire thanks for replying. When you did years 4 and 5 what was your timetable like? Was it still one evening a week and one full day? Also were you tempted to go on and do the level 8 hons degree?

Yes, one evening and one full day in there.
    At the time I didn't want to do the Level 8 as the only option was one day a week in Jordanstown up north for 3 years.

I was actively employed by a consulting engineering firm from 2002 so I couldn't do it full time in DIT.

Do I wish I had of done it, yes and no. If I had of done it I would have been committed to that company, I would not have got the job I am in now which I enjoy and feel more confident doing (BCAR / Building Regulation Compliance), and I went on and done my Level 9 in Fire Engineering in TCD in the mean time.

Would have been nice to get the level 8 as chartership route is a lot more streamlined if you have it over not having it.

Is there any particular reason you are doing it part time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Charlie2013

Im currently in year 2 of this course. How did u find the later years? Did your timetable change?

Advertisement