Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update to Win10: How does it work?

• 19-09-2015 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm using Win7 but I have got that white icon in the right-bottom corner who keeps reminding me that I have a Win10 update for free.
    So, I could download it and install it later if I like, or am I to say goodbye to Win7 as soon as Win10 downloads?
    Is it possible to save it for later? Or does it erase the previous OS without notice?
    What I'd like to do is to install Win10 on another HDD and keep my Win7 still working, so that I could switch between them if it's the case and then choose to work on what I like it the most.
    At the moment I still have WinXP on another HDD in the same case of my PC. I could switch back to XP anytime, I just have to connect the SATA cable to the right HDD.
    Could I do the same thing with Win10?
    Thanks so much!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi all,
    I'm using Win7 but I have got that white icon in the right-bottom corner who keeps reminding me that I have a Win10 update for free.
    So, I could download it and install it later if I like, or am I to say goodbye to Win7 as soon as Win10 downloads?
    Is it possible to save it for later? Or does it erase the previous OS without notice?
    What I'd like to do is to install Win10 on another HDD and keep my Win7 still working, so that I could switch between them if it's the case and then choose to work on what I like it the most.
    At the moment I still have WinXP on another HDD in the same case of my PC. I could switch back to XP anytime, I just have to connect the SATA cable to the right HDD.
    Could I do the same thing with Win10?
    Thanks so much!

The Windows 10 upgrade agent will not create a backup of Windows 7 that you can restore if you change your mind - you'll need to do this yourself if it's something you want.

Windows upgrade licences don't allow you to retain both installations as live, although I don't know whether licence upgrades are tracked. I don't know if you might run into activation issues if you later revert back to Windows 7 on a licence you've upgraded to 10, though if you've got a Pro licence you should have downgrade rights with it.

Personally I'd suggest taking a disk image of your existing install, verify that it works (preferably by restoring it onto a blank disk and testing whether you can then boot from that disk), and only then upgrade your original system to Windows 10. It's what I've done on the desktop I upgraded to 10 from 8.1, and means that if I run into stability/compatibility issues I can revert easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Fysh wrote: »
    Personally I'd suggest taking a disk image of your existing install, verify that it works (preferably by restoring it onto a blank disk and testing whether you can then boot from that disk), and only then upgrade your original system to Windows 10. It's what I've done on the desktop I upgraded to 10 from 8.1, and means that if I run into stability/compatibility issues I can revert easily enough.

Thanks Fysh, this is a useful hint indeed!
    One more question.
    Will this upgrade retain all the applications installed or will I have to reinstall all the other programs?
    I never did an upgrade before. I purchased a Win7 license and installed it on a brand new SSD, leaving XP on the previous (and disconnected HDD), so I'm not familiar with it.
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Thanks Fysh, this is a useful hint indeed!
    One more question.
    Will this upgrade retain all the applications installed or will I have to reinstall all the other programs?
    I never did an upgrade before. I purchased a Win7 license and installed it on a brand new SSD, leaving XP on the previous (and disconnected HDD), so I'm not familiar with it.
    Thanks!

It should retain everything - although if compatibility issues are identified during the upgrade prep you'll see a prompt that the application will be removed. I got this with Media Centre because there's no equivalent on Windows 10, and had to click a confirmation button before the upgrade would proceed. Everything else should just remain in place.

Advertisement