Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired v Wireless

Options
  • 19-09-2015 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

i currently have a wired alarm that's on its last legs so I'm looking to replace it with a new one. Am I better sticking with another wired solution or should I go with wireless? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

I have a GSM dialler on the current system that calls me when it's activated and that suits me grand so no need for a Phonewatch type system with a monitoring service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

When you say your entire system is on its last legs, how do you mean?
    Is it activating a lot?
    How old is it?
    Have you got perimeter protection as in are your external windows and doors alarmed with shock sensors and contacts?

A lot of older systems which we have out there have been upgraded, this involves replacing the actual control panel, battery, dialling equipment and possibly the external sounder. What we do then is carry out an intensive check on the existing detectors and change out whatever needs replacing.

It does my head in to be honest when I see some companies telling people that they have to get a whole new system when a particular component has failed, to be fair it is usually sales staff with little or no actual technical knowledge bit have the gift of the gab.

With regard to wired or wireless, well you already have a wiring infastructure already installed, I am not of course at liberty to say what condition this is in but in almost all circumstances this can be reused.

Yes wireless is wonderful but on a detector by detector basis it is more expensive, also each detector has a battery in it which obviously has a life span of approximately 2/ 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thanks Kub. It's an Astec alarm which isn't supported anymore and it has a habit of going off and the front door panel doesn't isn't connecting to the main box (Fault C) so it's not working at all at the moment. And yes I have sensors on each of the doors/windows but I was having to bypass some of these as they kept going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Astec, that would suggest that you are along the east coast. The option is there to upgrade your panel to a GSD one as that can be configured to accept your detectors etc as they are.

Advertisement