Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Worked everywhere for me so far. Couple of coffee shops even paying for parking in Stephens Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I was expecting more Luddites tbh ... Pleasantly surprised.

I just like the fact it's not exposing my debit card details to everything I tap. I feel a lot more comfortable using this than my "raw" debit card. Especially on things like parking machines that could be fairly secluded and unattended.

Anything that substantially reduced the risk of my current account being emptied by skimmers is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cerdito wrote: »
    3. Tried it in Aldi, finally worked. Paid an €80 bill with contactless. Although my phone was unlocked it made me swipe my pattern to approve it.

That's good to know. I was in Aldi just now and had a bill of €40 or so but paid with the card instead as it was really busy and didn't want to cause a hold-up if it didn't work for whatever reason. I'll give it a try next time i f it's a bit quieter.

Strange that you had to swipe your security code again though. Had you unlocked you phone manually, or was it unlocked by being paired with a watch or other device?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Just wondering can I set my up debit card on a second phone that my wife uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Out of the loop on this - can Android pay be used on regular tap to pay card terminals in shops?

Edit: Any idea when Ulster bank will be onboard?

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    Out of the loop on this - can Android pay be used on regular tap to pay card terminals in shops?

Yes it works on the vast majority of terminals that accept contactless. However, in some cases it may be treated exactly like contactless and limit payment to €30

In other cases where it's fully implemented it will let you authorise a full payment with your phone using a fingerprint, phone pin or lock pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Alun wrote: »
    That's good to know. I was in Aldi just now and had a bill of €40 or so but paid with the card instead as it was really busy and didn't want to cause a hold-up if it didn't work for whatever reason. I'll give it a try next time i f it's a bit quieter.

Strange that you had to swipe your security code again though. Had you unlocked you phone manually, or was it unlocked by being paired with a watch or other device?

Phone was fully unlocked. When I tapped, it opened the Android pay app, then presented me with the pattern swipe to approve. I have a Samsung J5 2016.

AFAIK any transaction that normally requires a pin (over 30 €) will need an unlock code or fingerprint to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Tried it twice today, in pharmacy and Spar. Worked very well. People were very curious about it. Guy in Spar said he is going to swap bank for it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Used it in tesco yesterday successfully. Tried to use it in an applegreen subway today and it said card not supported.

• Advertisement

Used it in Woodies yesterday, their terminal was even displaying an ad for Android Pay when I went to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Works almost everywhere, I advise to not try it in pubs though, I got a few very angry responses from Barkeepers in various pubs saying I'm trying to scam the machine or whatever. Will leave it for a while and try it in pubs again once it becomes better known sometime next year.

The banks need to educate the retailers, as falsely accusing someone of fraud in a crowded pub, amongst their peers is a bit like accusing someone of shoplifting in public.

If you're wrong, they've a potential case against you in Irish law for damage to good name.

If in doubt just decline the transaction saying you don't accept that form of payment - don't make unfounded accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The banks need to educate the retailers, as falsely accusing someone of fraud in a crowded pub, amongst their peers is a bit like accusing someone of shoplifting in public.

If you're wrong, they've a potential case against you in Irish law for damage to good name.

If in doubt just decline the transaction saying you don't accept that form of payment - don't make unfounded accusations.

Any business that has a card machine (merchant services) is required to be PCI compliant. They can suffer extra charges and fines if they're found not to be compliant (sometimes through inspections but mostly through online questionnaires) so I would imagine there's going to be quite an increase in penalties over the next few months. It will eventually filter down to staff that Android pay is a thing, particularly if the owners are out of pocket. I think it's the payments over 30 euro aspect of it that will take the longest to sink in.

On a side note there's still a surprising number of pubs in Cork that don't even offer card payment. They must not like the paper trail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

The pubs are sensible and don't want queues forming. Nothing worse than being stuck behind a card payer in a busy pub.

This android pay faffing about would be even worse. Was behind an overbearing, arrogant lad trying to use it in McDonald's on Grafton Street last night, pretty sure he was using it wrong, but he still berated the young lad working behind the counter anyway.

It's very very very fast. I've found it faster than plastic card type contactless, likely because the NFC on a mobile is much more sophisticated than a tiny cheap chip in a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The pubs are sensible and don't want queues forming. Nothing worse than being stuck behind a card payer in a busy pub.

This android pay faffing about would be even worse. Was behind an overbearing, arrogant lad trying to use it in McDonald's on Grafton Street last night, pretty sure he was using it wrong, but he still berated the young lad working behind the counter anyway.
    It's very very very fast. I've found it faster than plastic card type contactless, likely because the NFC on a mobile is much more sophisticated than a tiny cheap chip in a card.

Contactless payment in a pub is way faster as long as the pub has their card terminal and till setup right. This thing of keeping the card terminal on a back shelf in the corner, bringing it over and back again and then walking back again with the receipt is ludicrous. There are still a fair few terminals out there that are of the dial up nature and not connected via wifi or gprs and are desperate slow. I would agree that in a pub those setups are worse than cash and a complete pain in the arse and I would rather pay cash.

But the scenario where you've just paid for a round and the card terminal is right there in front of you, so you just tap it, is superior. All you're waiting for is the receipt to print. Pubs keep the till and the cash well back from the bar counter for theft reasons. But a durable card reader can be kept right up on the bar.

I might be in the minority with this but I actually think you're better off going out for the night with a card (if you can) rather than cash. Unless you're particularly good at holding on to receipts how can you be sure how much you've spent and where over the course of the night? Half the time I'm wondering if maybe I was robbed, got the wrong change back, or just lost a twenty somewhere along the way. But if you're paying by card then you have a complete record of everything (and you don't have 2kg of coin in your pockets).

Well, it's not the customers' fault that the pubs are not capable of getting their house in order when it comes to running card terminals.

If you've a busy bar, you need several card terminals connected by IP and mounted on little brackets above the counter so they don't get pulled away or splashed with beer.

It's not rocket science but, it's surprising that in this day and age they're still not sorting it out. People expect to be able to pay by card, and it's far safer for the bar to not have vast quantities of cash in the safe at 2 in the morning.

Cash handling also is not free of charge, people just forget it costs money.

Pubs think nothing about spending money on sound systems, till systems, fancy lighting, expensive refits of bars. It wouldn't be THAT big a deal to ensure you can easily take contactless payments.

Also, a lot of the time they seem to be supplied with credit card setups that are suitable for restaurants where they're bringing the card reader to tables. That's not appropriate for a pub. They should be mounted firmly on the bar and not likely to land in a puddle of beer.

I suppose though it's the same brigade who get upset about someone suggesting that a packet of crisps is not a food menu.

The other group I find unbelievable is hospital consultants and doctors. I don't know how many times I've turned up at a doctor to discover that they've no ability to take cards, yet present you with a €150 fee to pay and start looking for cheques and cash and the nearest ATM is miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I got it to work in topaz, but it wouldn't work in aldi, do you need the android app open or can you jus hold the phone over the card machine?

If you've a busy bar, you need several card terminals connected by IP and mounted on little brackets above the counter so they don't get pulled away or splashed with beer.
    They have those in Wetherspoons, very handy.

• Advertisement

I got it to work in topaz, but it wouldn't work in aldi, do you need the android app open or can you jus hold the phone over the card machine?
    The app doesn't need to be open, but the phone does need to be awake, i.e. just tap the on button to light the screen up.

I've used it in Aldi for an under €30 transaction, no bother.

Alun wrote: »
    They have those in Wetherspoons, very handy.

Maybe more will follow. it makes too much sense not to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Used it in ALDI for > €40. Took a little persistence and reassuring the cashier that it would work and it did on the second tap.

Does anyone know the exact situation with using secondary cards? What's worked for me so far is opening the app and tapping on my secondary KBC card for instance, then touching the terminal it takes payment from that card.

However today I wanted to use my default AIB card and just woke the phone keeping it locked, and tapped the terminal. Payment was taken from my KBC card. Double checked and the AIB card was definitely set as the default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Used it today in Dunnes Stores to pay for €18 of groceries. Worked pretty quickly at the terminal however the transaction is listed in the app as an €18 payment, not to Dunnes, but to a nearby pub. The till receipt looks like any other Dunnes receipt.

There is an option in the app to report problems with transactions and one of these is "Report incorrect shop info" which I did.

Anyone else encounter this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

polaris68 wrote:
    There is an option in the app to report problems with transactions and one of these is "Report incorrect shop info" which I did.

polaris68 wrote:
    Anyone else encounter this?

I used it in my local aldi and saw on the map of the receipt that I was somewhere in Germany. I used it in two other locations and everything was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

The other group I find unbelievable is hospital consultants and doctors. I don't know how many times I've turned up at a doctor to discover that they've no ability to take cards, yet present you with a €150 fee to pay and start looking for cheques and cash and the nearest ATM is miles away.

The arrival of Zettle would make a big difference for small traders. I know you won't see hospital consultants as small traders, but in terms of money taken in via card for consultation fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

j_mo wrote: »
    I used it in my local aldi and saw on the map of the receipt that I was somewhere in Germany. I used it in two other locations and everything was fine.

Ok, I guess the app uses the phone's location, which can obviously be inaccurate inside a building, rather than info from the terminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Zagato wrote: »
    The arrival of Zettle would make a big difference for small traders. I know you won't see hospital consultants as small traders, but in terms of money taken in via card for consultation fees.

Looks similar to Sumup, which is already available here.

Consultants have no real incentive to offer card payments until the banks phase out cheques. Personally I haven't had a chequebook for years, but most people seem to still have one in drawer for paying the likes of consultants and tradesman (though the latter often accept bank transfers or cards nowadays).

I've been at a couple of Xmas markets recently and even the stall traders accept card payments.

polaris68 wrote: »
    Ok, I guess the app uses the phone's location, which can obviously be inaccurate inside a building, rather than info from the terminal.
    I've got two transactions that are close-ish but not accurate, and one that's quite some distance away from the correct location. However if you double tap on the small map in the app it opens up Google Maps and appears to use the address information of the retailer to show the correct location, matching the place marker for that business on Google Maps.

The funny thing is though that I'm sure the incorrect one was correct at the time of payment and has since changed, but I can't be 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I can take card payments through my phone. Can even use the cards nfc chip to pull the info onto the phone.

Retailers need to adapt.

Advertisement