Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TheChizler wrote: »
    However today I wanted to use my default AIB card and just woke the phone keeping it locked, and tapped the terminal. Payment was taken from my KBC card. Double checked and the AIB card was definitely set as the default.
    Did the app keep the secondary card in the foreground or return to the home screen after the transaction? I'm guessing it didn't, and that you'd need to manually return to the home screen to make it use the default card again. If so, I'm not sure if that's a bug or a 'feature' :D

loyatemu wrote: »
    Consultants have no real incentive to offer card payments until the banks phase out cheques. Personally I haven't had a chequebook for years, but most people seem to still have one in drawer for paying the likes of consultants and tradesman (though the latter often accept bank transfers or cards nowadays).
    I thought there was a plan to phase them out soon? Good riddance I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Alun wrote: »
    Did the app keep the secondary card in the foreground or return to the home screen after the transaction? I'm guessing it didn't, and that you'd need to manually return to the home screen to make it use the default card again. If so, I'm not sure if that's a bug or a 'feature' :D
    Don't know to be honest. Never opened the app manually until afterwards. Tapped, secondary KBC card popped up and the Android robot waved its hat at me, when I opened the app later on it looked as it normally does, with the default card taking up most of the space and the other cards stacked underneath.

OK, two experiences today ...

First tried to pay for a €45 transaction in Tesco at the self service checkout. The till beeped at me and said something like "Contactless card offered too soon, go back to payment screen and select payment type", did that but the contactless option was greyed out. I tried just manually selecting credit/debit card as the payment type, but same story. Paid by card in the end.

Next I paid for a sub €30 transaction in Lidl. At first I thought it hadn't worked, but when I woke my screen up again the app itself was asking for my PIN, entered it and presented the phone again and it worked. I presume this was in the same way that you're limited to a certain number of contactless payments in a row with your card before you have to insert your card and enter your PIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Used it today for a small shop in Aldi ~€50 and it worked fine. Already had my phone unlocked and before I even had my phone touching off the terminal it asked for my fingerprint and I got a *Beep!*

I always keep my card to hand anyway in case something doesn't work but the more I use it the more confident I feel about leaving my wallet at home. Though in an ideal world I'd need my work ID and Leap Card in Pay before I could do that!

Anyone else finding it super quick like that? Don't know if it's just the OnePlus 3 have a strong NFC chip or what but I barely hold it near the terminal and it goes through, even through my thick case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The pubs are sensible and don't want queues forming. Nothing worse than being stuck behind a card payer in a busy pub.

This android pay faffing about would be even worse. Was behind an overbearing, arrogant lad trying to use it in McDonald's on Grafton Street last night, pretty sure he was using it wrong, but he still berated the young lad working behind the counter anyway.

Contactless is the fastest form of payment, It will beat someone holding a fifty everytime unless the machine is broken or the phone is up the customers arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

First misunderstanding about Android Pay. Went to go pay in Maxol for some coffees and the guy basically pushed my phone away from the terminal and said NO PHONES BUD!!! CARDS ONLY !!

Unlikely to be shopping there again.

Paid by chip and pin instead.

Unsure if the machine didn't support contactless or what was going on.

AIB, KBC and Google need to get the information out to retailers to avoid embarrassment like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

First misunderstanding about Android Pay. Went to go pay in Maxol for some coffees and the guy basically pushed my phone away from the terminal and said NO PHONES BUD!!! CARDS ONLY !!.

The moment he touched my phone I would have walked out (if I only got coffee's not if I filled my tank).

I would complain to their head office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The moment he touched my phone I would have walked out (if I only got coffee's not if I filled my tank).

I would complain to their head office.

Yep, very simple if this happens contact their head office or in the case of pubs the VFI they need to educate their members to this and the benefits of the service. Ignorance is not an excuse its pretty high profile adds from the banks especially AIB, its everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Forgot my wallet today, but had my phone so no worries. Major benefit of Android Pay right there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Any ideas on when Ulster Bank will be onboard with this?

I know that Ulster Bank in the UK have it

listermint wrote: »
    Yep, very simple if this happens contact their head office or in the case of pubs the VFI they need to educate their members to this and the benefits of the service. Ignorance is not an excuse its pretty high profile adds from the banks especially AIB, its everywhere.

It took a while to get through to some retailers - we still have places imposing arbitrary limits on cards around the place.

One of the most embarrassing ones is several high profile tourist sites operated by the state itself have a history of limiting credit cards to transactions above €10 and in one case I even saw €20.

If your fees are that high, get a new bank or card acquirer. There are options and it's absolutely ridiculous to bring bus loads of tourists in and then basically refuse to take payments by card and having no on-site ATM or any alternative.

A few places really need to get themselves into the reality of 2016 (or 1986) when if comes to cards. I can't understand why it's such a big issue for some businesses. The assumption made by US and other tourists is that it's a reluctance to register transactions to avoid paying tax.

I also have read several reports by financial institutions blaming unique cultural factors on low card usage here - the culture is down to a history of sky high fees on transactions and on merchant accounts. People really need to shop around both on the consumer and merchant side of things. There are better deals.

Also we have an on going issue in Ireland with cash thefts, heists in rural areas where people have large volumes of cash from businesses and also cash in transit thefts.

How much pain, suffering, fear, funding of criminal organisations, deaths, waste of Garda time would be reduced if most of our transactions were electronic ?!

I visited rural Iceland recently and I didn't even see cash most of the time I was there. Absolutely everything was being paid on cards - debit, credit and also anonymous reloadable e purse integrated into the normal chip and pin network (card just inserted without a pin or tapped).

Advantage is that rural businesses don't need to accumulate cash on site and there no trips to night safes or hoarding cash in safes in garages and pubs.

The technology is here. We have as good or in many cases better tech rolled out than many madkets and have it installed for years and there is really no excuse.

There is absolutely no difference in availability of tech and particularly in mobile connectivity between rural Ireland and Iceland. They actually have far more of a challenge than we do, due their absolutely tiny population and more extreme conditions in off the beaten track areas. Yet, they have card acceptance even in the tiniest, most remote place and consider it something that helps rural dwellers as they don't have to get go banks.

Things like having a VPN connected card terminal in the vast majority of retail outlets either running over their internet connection or just a card reader sitting on 3G /4G isn't exactly challenging! You're talking about miniscule amounts of data compared to what most of us do on our mobiles all the time.

The notion that places are still using modem dial up card terminals in 2016 is frankly something the banks should be embarrassed about. There likely won't even be much of a PSTN in a few years. It's already dying out in Ireland, extremely rapidly. In fact, it's often the card terminal that keeps small shops stuck with a phone line!

Anyway probably not the place for such a rant but Irish retailers, state services, policy makers and the banks need to drag themselves out of the 1970s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Cianos wrote: »
    Any ideas on when Ulster Bank will be onboard with this?

I know that Ulster Bank in the UK have it

Yeah it'd be handy alright.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Yeah it'd be handy alright.

Could be a while. Ulster Bank supports Apple Pay too in Northern Ireland but not in the Republic.

At least AIB and KBC launching Android Pay is going to have to wake the others out of their slumber.

I would say PTSB and Ulster Bank will have to get their products ready to go. It's not that hard to rollout.

AIB is huge though so it should have a big impact. AFAIK they're by far the largest issuer if Visa branded cards in Ireland.

Having all the banks on board and also having Apple Pay live will see these services gaining rapid and wide acceptance.

I think in this case having both the major services up and running from Google and Apple benefits the market. I wouldn't like to see a Google or Apple monopoly on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Could be a while. Ulster Bank supports Apple Pay too in Northern Ireland but not in the Republic.

At least AIB and KBC launching Android Pay is going to have to wake the others out of their slumber.

I would say PTSB and Ulster Bank will have to get their products ready to go. It's not that hard to rollout.

AIB is huge though so it should have a big impact. AFAIK they're by far the largest issuer if Visa branded cards in Ireland.

Having all the banks on board and also having Apple Pay live will see these services gaining rapid and wide acceptance.

I think in this case having both the major services up and running from Google and Apple benefits the market. I wouldn't like to see a Google or Apple monopoly on this.

ApplePay hasn't launched with any partners in Ireland yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Is anyone able to addd Android Pay to Uber? They are part of the supported apps and the first one advertised for the irish launch but I can't seem to find how to add it. Only Credit card and Paypal.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Is anyone able to addd Android Pay to Uber? They are part of the supported apps and the first one advertised for the irish launch but I can't seem to find how to add it. Only Credit card and Paypal.
    It's integrated into the apps I think, rather than having to add it manually. On the web page there's a footnote saying it's only on the latest version of the app, have you checked for an upgrade?

flexcon wrote: »
    ApplePay hasn't launched with any partners in Ireland yet!!

Yup but, when it does it will drive acceptance of both Android and Apple Pay. The key is to have a volume of handsets capable of making payments. Having both live and the other banks set up will mean it'll take off.

I'm OS agnostic here. Having both means consumers have choices and that's good and drives innovation.

In Woodies, the terminals there have been displaying ApplePay symbols on the screens for several months now.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    In Woodies, the terminals there have been displaying ApplePay symbols on the screens for several months now.

That's just the till system.

AIB mention it in some of their merchant services literature too. In many cases the terminals have been able to accept foreign Apple Pay for a long time at least as a direct replacement for normal €30 limited Visa/MC contactless. It's just NFC.

The full service for both Android Pay and Apple Pay lets you authorise large transactions with the phone (authentication with password, lock pattern or fingerprint)

I would suspect you'll see both being fully available soon though. A lot of this is just about the various providers getting an acceptable price and Google and Apple getting an acceptable % too.

There's no technical reasons for delayed launch as we have had more NFC terminals in place per capita than many countries and huge rollout of NFC debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Maplin Near Jervis accepts Android pay, bought a 200 EUR PSU there yesterday with Android Pay as I had forgotten my Card at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the terminals in elverys also have apple pay symbol on them.

Tried to use it in Supervalu Talbot Street for something tiny because my friend was telling me there was issues with it and sure enough the transaction went through but straight away was refunded right back and the the transaction was declined. Woman at the checkout said 'we only accept chip&pin', I asked her to try it once more as Contactless and it then went through.

.Anyone else get this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

My Google account has a UK address. I was able to add my Irish cards to Android Pay and I get charged in the local currency. The benefit of having a UK address is that they are currently running an offer for UK customers that gives spot prizes and free coffees for using Pay. It works for transaction in Ireland with Irish euro cards. I got a £3 Costa UK voucher and I checked with the local cafe in Dublin who said it would work and I would get €3.57 off. There are bigger spot prizes if anyone fancies a go.

Arbie wrote: »
    My Google account has a UK address. I was able to add my Irish cards to Android Pay and I get charged in the local currency. The benefit of having a UK address is that they are currently running an offer for UK customers that gives spot prizes and free coffees for using Pay. It works for transaction in Ireland with Irish euro cards. I got a £3 Costa UK voucher and I checked with the local cafe in Dublin who said it would work and I would get €3.57 off. There are bigger spot prizes if anyone fancies a go.

Just a note on this, this is a Great Britain promotion only. North of Ireland is excluded.

Open to UK residents (excluding Northern Ireland), aged 16+ who make qualifying payments in stores or on TfL before 23:59 (GMT) on 31 December 2016. Maximum 10 entries per day to the instant win prize draw. Limited instant win prizes available. Maximum 250,000 £3 Costa gifts available. Internet access on a compatible device required. Promoter: Google Commerce LTD, 70 Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland. See full terms and conditions here.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

They'll launch them - those offers are a big part how Android Pay is funded ... Google are an advertising company by nature. That's how they'll make money out of it.

Apple so far hasn't bothered doing that with Apple Pay, but it is oddly though part of their wallet app, which is all about loyalty cards so, I assume it's on the way too. Although I think Apple is just taking a % which is why the banks aren't overly keen on it.

There's no free lunch and if it's free at point of use or they're not taking a %, they'll be using it as an advertising tool and a data mining tool.

Advertisement