Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

They'll launch them - those offers are a big part how Android Pay is funded ... Google are an advertising company by nature. That's how they'll make money out of it.

I wonder in the likes of Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Poland etc do they have those offers too? I'm particularly curious about the first few as Pay has been there for a good while now.
    Apple so far hasn't bothered doing that with Apple Pay, but it is oddly though part of their wallet app, which is all about loyalty cards so, I assume it's on the way too. Although I think Apple is just taking a % which is why the banks aren't overly keen on it.

Apple will launch it soon I'd imagine, along with ooh's and aww's about how innovative it is:rolleyes:
    There's no free lunch and if it's free at point of use or they're not taking a %, they'll be using it as an advertising tool and a data mining tool.

From Google's perspective it must be like hitting a gold mine, you now know what, where, when and how people buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

The banks should actually like this system as it decreases their exposure to fraudulent charges as your actual card number is not exposed at all.

The next obvious extension is using it online. Apple Pay now does that, but both systems should be able to give you a "burner card" virtual number via the app just to let you shop anywhere without exposing your card number. That would basically eliminate fraud possibilities entirely.

Ultimately, I think this kind of service will completely replace cards.

What the banks are worried about is some combination or Apppe, Google and maybe mobile networks or new disruptors could end their payment card monopoly.

There's nothing really preventing them eating the banks' lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The banks should actually like this system as it decreases their exposure to fraudulent charges as your actual card number is not exposed at all.

The next obvious extension is using it online. Apple Pay now does that, but both systems should be able to give you a "burner card" virtual number via the app just to let you shop anywhere without exposing your card number. That would basically eliminate fraud possibilities entirely.

Ultimately, I think this kind of service will completely replace cards.

What the banks are worried about is some combination or Apppe, Google and maybe mobile networks or new disruptors could end their payment card monopoly.

There's nothing really preventing them eating the banks' lunch.

Someone still has to supply the terminals.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Someone still has to supply the terminals.

Who says that has to be the banks.

Android Pay to Android Pay on an android terminal, which might even just be a smartphone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Arbie wrote: »
    My Google account has a UK address. I was able to add my Irish cards to Android Pay and I get charged in the local currency. The benefit of having a UK address is that they are currently running an offer for UK customers that gives spot prizes and free coffees for using Pay. It works for transaction in Ireland with Irish euro cards.  I got a £3 Costa UK voucher and I checked with the local cafe in Dublin who said it would work and I would get €3.57 off.  There are bigger spot prizes if anyone fancies a go.
    Just got a £10 Cost voucher today getting on the bus :) in addition to the £3 that you automatically get after using it 3 times (for UK Android Pay)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Android pay worked perfectly at a BBs Muffins place today, but then wouldn't work at all with a contactless terminal in an Amber garage. The Android Pay app popped up and said to try again, so something happened with the NFC, but the terminal wasn't having any of it.

I would say give it a few months for terminals and POS devices to get updated and it will be more reliable, but it does remind me very much of the early days of contactless.

Is it up to the individual Irish Costa to accept those gift cards won in the app or is it just a blanket thing that they accept it in Éire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Is it up to the individual Irish Costa to accept those gift cards won in the app or is it just a blanket thing that they accept it in Éire?

The one I tried it in just took the code and typed it in on the cashier screen, no questions, didn't even ask about Android Pay. It seemed like it was treated like any Costa e-voucher.

Spent a bomb doing Christmas shopping today, all paid with Android Pay, all without a hitch. No one batted an eyelid. In Dealz they're even showing a Android Pay symbol on the terminal, first one I've seen.

Went to restaurant with my boyfriend, went to pay and used my phone, thought nothing of it. It was over €30 and went through grand, much to my surprise. It said BOI payment acceptance on the receipt in case that's any use to anyone. Weird given they're not launch bank with Pay. .

Android pay worked perfectly at a BBs Muffins place today, but then wouldn't work at all with a contactless terminal in an Amber garage.
    I used it today at Amber and it worked fine. I wasn't sure if they had Contactless or not because it's a terminal I'm not familiar with, red and black colours, didn't catch the brand. Took about 20secs before it went through and receipt printed but in phone it went through straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

polaris68 wrote: »
    Used it today in Dunnes Stores to pay for €18 of groceries. Worked pretty quickly at the terminal however the transaction is listed in the app as an €18 payment, not to Dunnes, but to a nearby pub. The till receipt looks like any other Dunnes receipt.

There is an option in the app to report problems with transactions and one of these is "Report incorrect shop info" which I did.

Anyone else encounter this?
    polaris68 wrote: »
    Ok, I guess the app uses the phone's location, which can obviously be inaccurate inside a building, rather than info from the terminal.

I've encountered this. In one case it showed a place a few doors away, that wasn't even a retail business, so obviously it is taking it as a map location. In another case, I used it in a McDonald's and it listed the transaction as being in a hotel a few streets away. So the map location would seem to be a bit off in that instance. I used the report facility and it then showed the McDonald's. So there seems to be a bit of work to be done on that. You would think the terminal should be the determining factor as to where the transaction is done, like on other kinds of transactions. In general I don't see myself using it that often, but today I accidentally left my wallet at home so it was useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Didn't work for me in Boots maybe my fault but will have a try again no doubt over the next couple of days.

Didn't work for me in Boots maybe my fault but will have a try again no doubt over the next couple of days.

What did you try ?Did you have phone with screen unlocked and tap it off the terminal when it say Contactless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Tried to use it in two bars on a pub crawl last night. In one the young barman was interested and delighted when it worked. In the second the oldish barman said yes to paying with contactless, gave me a blank look when I said "with my phone" and asked for my card. Waved it near the terminal like he was swatting a fly which didn't work so gave up and went for chip and pin instead.

Still some education to be done...

I really hate that in clubs/bars they take your card from you only to then use Contactless to pay. I wouldn't even try do that with my phone.

Also, today I made a transaction, it's showing in Android Pay app like any other transaction but on the terminal it said something like no merchant connection and declined it so I had to pay with card.

If you think that's bad in pubs, I was on an Aer Lingus flight and a guy was paying by chip and pin. The stewart inserted the card and the guy keyed his pin. Being in the air, it seemed to be taking an age to authorise, so the stewart left the machine, with the card inserted, on the trolley and moved on serving coffee to next row.

The machine got knocked off the trolley and landed card slot down, breaking the credit card in half.

He handed it back said sorry and didn't really appear to follow up...

In pubs I've had my card dumped back to me on the countertop into a beer puddle on a few occasions.

You'd think they'd just have contactless pads on the countertop in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I used it recently to pay €60 in a hospital, first time using it for more than €30. It's great not exposing my card to skimming, not exposing my actual card number, no risk of exposing my PIN, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Arbie wrote: »
    I used it recently to pay €60 in a hospital, first time using it for more than €30. It's great not exposing my card to skimming, not exposing my actual card number, no risk of exposing my PIN, etc.

So is there no limit on these? You can pay for anything over €30.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

FrostyJim wrote: »
    So is there no limit on these? You can pay for anything over €30.
    The technical limit is €1 M I read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

TheChizler wrote: »

I'll have no immediate problems so! Thanks for clearing that up.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

TheChizler wrote: »

That rules it out for me so. I'll just have to pay for my solid gold yacht the old fashioned way.

I had the "stare at me blankly look" when I asked to pay by phone today in Costa despite having done this in the same store multiple times before.

The guy wouldn't enter the amount into the terminal until I gave him my bank card and basically got really short with me. I gave up and paid by chip and pin, not even contactless.

Meh! Not sure why customer service in Europe generally is occasionally so frigging awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I had the "stare at me blankly look" when I asked to pay by phone today in Costa despite having done this in the same store multiple times before.

The guy wouldn't enter the amount into the terminal until I gave him my bank card and basically got really short with me. I gave up and paid by chip and pin, not even contactless.

Meh! Not sure why customer service in Europe generally is occasionally so frigging awful.

Should have asked for a manager.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Should have asked for a manager.

Honestly, I was gone past bothering. It puts me off those chains entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I've been using it in my local Tesco over the Christmas period. Works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What usually do is point to the card reader and say I want to pay with this. So when the terminal is waiting for you card, whip out your phone.

I was chatting to a young lad behind the counter in my local SuperValu and asked about paying by phone (I was paying by card). He said somebody last week came in and wanted to pay by phone and he "had to get the manager because I wasn't sure if we were allowed to". :)

So still a bit of education to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Waiting anxiously for Ulster Bank to allow this.

Herself is with AIB so I set it up for her the day it was announced. Been working seamlessly in Tesco, Aldi and at Garages etc for her. Initially the staff in Aldi thought it would have the €30 limit too, but were strangely delighted to see it work for a €70 purchase.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Depends on the acquiring bank what the maximum limit is. Majority are 1 million. 1 major one is only £500/€500

• Advertisement

I always just say I'm paying with Card and keep my phone in my hand.

Used it yesterday in Dunne's in Athlone yesterday and the cashier just said "really cool!" :pac::pac:

Advertisement