Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Folks, has anyone been able to set this up using a Visa Debit Card?
    I tried this with my BOI card and I get an error from Android Pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Had my first refusal in Homestore and More over the weekend. Always just ask if I can use contactless and once they say ok i just pop my phone over the terminal. Once the shop assistant saw my phone in my hand he said to hang on and asked his manager. She said I wasn't allowed and that "something happened in another store". Used my Debit card contactless instead and pointed out that it was the exact same but left it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

There are a % of people out there who just make up rules to avoid anything new and scary.

I doubt anything happened in another store. They're just being over cautious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My local home store and more won't accept contactless full stop even though the terminal prompts for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

TheChizler wrote: »
    My local home store and more won't accept contactless full stop even though the terminal prompts for it.

Report them to the BPFI, part of their job is to regulate the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Have tried this in Aldi several times and it doesn't work.
    Had the phone opened but not the app. Purchase was under €30.

Staff have no idea about it.

I think the app could be handy to categorise your purchases and see where your money is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Just read something in the business section of the Irish Times about Android Pay, and something I didn't realise was that not every terminal can accept over €30 with a tap.

"There is no minimum or maximum spend with AndroidPay, however not all merchant terminals will support spend above €30 yet". (Irish Times, 3/1/17, Page 17 Business section, side bar under "Let's get digital: low-cost banking options for savvy consumers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thoie wrote: »
    Just read something in the business section of the Irish Times about Android Pay, and something I didn't realise was that not every terminal can accept over €30 with a tap.

"There is no minimum or maximum spend with AndroidPay, however not all merchant terminals will support spend above €30 yet". (Irish Times, 3/1/17, Page 17 Business section, side bar under "Let's get digital: low-cost banking options for savvy consumers".

Someone mentioned this earlier, could we start putting together a list of places that definitely do accept larger payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Not sure if there is a list started but here is my Worked / not worked list

Worked with no issues:
    • Aldi
    • Tesco
    • Dunnes Stores
    • KFC
    • Local Chippers
    • Homestore and More

Didn't work
    • Harvey Norman
    • Mothercare (who refused to let me try: "We don't take the phone here")
    • Homestore and More (different one to the one it worked in)

I've not had a bad experience using it. Few places have looked at me like I was two headed. The local chipper was funniest had the manager come out and look at the receipt the machine printed. They then examined it for about 2 minutes while I left and got back into the car!

Mothercare was the rudest IMO. She refused to let me try and said to "just tap the card"

EDIT: All were under 30 euro. Tried Tesco for larger amount and it failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

I think the app could be handy to categorise your purchases and see where your money is going.

I work for Aldi. Always use it to get food on my break. Plus every store got a memo to explain the procedure at the tills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I have used Android Pay a dozen or so times in Aldi without issue.

A lot of store issues come from people who say "I will pay by phone", this confuses the hell out of a lot of clerks and causes issues, saying "I will pay by contactless" and then putting your phone on the device works more frequently.

JTMan wrote: »
    I have used Android Pay a dozen or so times in Aldi without issue.

A lot of store issues come from people who say "I will pay by phone", this confuses the hell out of a lot of clerks and causes issues, saying "I will pay by contactless" and then putting your phone on the device works more frequently.

I agree - I never tell them I'm going to use a phone. I say I want to use tap to pay if they haven't enabled the machine then tap the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Does it work anywhere else? Is NFC enabled and Android Pay selected as the default app for contactless payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I have to say it works more reliably than my AIB debit card NFC. I assume because the phone is an far more powerful and active NFC system powered by the battery rather than just powering it with induction from the antenna like the cards do.

It just seems to read instantly whereas the card can occasionally be a bit finicky.

When it goes mainstream more so I could see this becoming the primary way most people pay at POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

Works also at Applegreen and Subway onsite,

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I, and several others, have tweeted PTSB about it. Same response for everyone.
    Hi, we don’t have any immediate plans to enable Android Pay, but we are looking into it as part of future developments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

MarkR wrote: »
    I, and several others, have tweeted PTSB about it. Same response for everyone.

any bets they have signed up to apple pay first.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

irishgeo wrote: »

That that hadn't occurred to me, but it's possible that that's what's going on.

What's the story in other jurisdictions? Can individual banks work with both services?

Would contracts that restrict the banks to one service not be anti competitive?

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

BOI are not very tech savy when it comes to this stuff IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

irishgeo wrote: »

That was my initial thought on this too. Exclusivity clauses are a scourge in the tech industry. Perhaps these clauses are crossing the realm of the banking industry too? This is a common tactic by big companies to limit the reach of competing companies products and services.

That or BoI and the rest are just hopelessly inept in expanding their services in a timely fashion. May have been caught with their pants down when approached by Google to integrate this into their payment systems. I'm starting to have my doubt about this now though.

I'm starting to lean towards scenario 1 as there as been zero explanation from the banks about why they cant give a timeline into providing android pay. What are the bets there will be a big fanfare announcement from the likes of BoI when Apple finally get around to announcing a roll out of apple pay here. Of course the are limited by exclusivity clauses about speaking about other contactless payment providers in the meantime.

My advice is, if you can, vote with your feet and move bank. If your an android user and have no major ties holding you to a non-android pay bank make the jump to a bank that does. You could be waiting a long time otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Andoid Pay app works on my phone. Registered KBC cards but despite having NFC enabled on my device - the app says I can't use it in shops just online. No explanation given.

NFC not supported on this device for payments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lawred2 wrote: »
    Andoid Pay app works on my phone. Registered KBC cards but despite having NFC enabled on my device - the app says I can't use it in shops just online. No explanation given.

NFC not supported on this device for payments

Android Pay uses NFC. If your phone doesn't have NFC then it can't use Android Pay for transaction in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Android Pay uses NFC. If your phone doesn't have NFC then it can't use Android Pay for transaction in shops.

yep either this or your phone is rooted/some sort of non google approved device. Android pay has a security check in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    yep either this or your phone is rooted/some sort of non google approved device. Android pay has a security check in place.
    Clearly says they have NFC enabled. And if SafetyNet was the issue, they wouldn't be able to add cards at all.

What's the exact error message you're getting? What phone is it? It's possible it uses an older implementation of NFC that isn't supported by Android Pay

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

_Puma_ wrote: »

I'm starting to lean towards scenario 1 as there as been zero explanation from the banks about why they cant give a timeline into providing android pay. What are the bets there will be a big fanfare announcement from the likes of BoI when Apple finally get around to announcing a roll out of apple pay here. Of course the are limited by exclusivity clauses about speaking about other contactless payment providers in the meantime.

My advice is, if you can, vote with your feet and move bank. If your an android user and have no major ties holding you to a non-android pay bank make the jump to a bank that does. You could be waiting a long time otherwise.

I'll switch banks before I'll switch to iOS.

has NFC alright

I use it for my leap card and some other bits and bobs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lawred2 wrote: »
    has NFC alright

I use it for my leap card and some other bits and bobs

Yeah, somehow missed that in your post. Not a clue what's up with it so then. What phone is it?

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Clearly says they have NFC enabled. And if SafetyNet was the issue, they wouldn't be able to add cards at all.

What's the exact error message you're getting? What phone is it? It's possible it uses an older implementation of NFC that isn't supported by Android Pay

This is the very helpful/descriptive text

NFC is needed in shops

This device does not support NFC payments. So you won't be able to use Android Pay in shops

It's an HTC One M8 with ResurrectionRemix ROM

I had expected the ROM to prevent Android Pay app installing but it's installed and added/verified cards so not sure why it's given up now.

But it's probably related to the ROM. I'd be happy enough if the app was specific enough to tell me that though.

Advertisement