Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

This is very likely due to the custom rom failing the safety check - there are workarounds on the net such as https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3jx8b8/how_to_enable_android_pay_on_a_rooted_device/ you'll have to try them out, differents roms work different s o being able to add card doesn't mean its not due to the rom.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    This is very likely due to the custom rom failing the safety check - there are workarounds on the net such as https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3jx8b8/how_to_enable_android_pay_on_a_rooted_device/ you'll have to try them out, differents roms work different s o being able to add card doesn't mean its not due to the rom.

I had previously rooted my OneOPlus 3 - although I then did an ota update and the root is now gone. However I'm unable to use Android Pay. I was hoping there was a woraround. Ic hecked that link but the "Rootcloak" on that page specifically says it does not work with Android Pay. Are there other alternative that do work? I really want Android Pay but I dont want to have to wipe and reinstall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah - no good. Suppose I'll survive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Mostly banks support both where both exist. It's not exclusive that one bank is Apple or Google. I don't think any bank is likely to want to annoy its customers with an exclusive to a single mobile platform system card....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

There's nothing to gain from exclusivity anyway as far as a bank would be concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes, they probably would.

The main reason that there's less coverage of Android is that it's a fragmented market. Google doesn't (or at least hasn't to date) put all that much effort into marketing it compared to Apple and the OEMs that produce Android phones are more concerned about pushing their hardware than a particular platform.

Apple's just more integrated and probably better at marketing itself than the collective group of companies involved in the Android market.

Android Pay's one of the first Android services that Google's really making an effort to promote.

Pixel is likely to change that, assuming Google continue to go that direction.

Well, if they took that attitude they wouldn't really deserve to get a sniff of it either. Thankfully they don't take that attitude though. They are just doing a staggered release globally. I don't agree with how it's being done either, they're using exclusivity agreements with certain networks for certain versions of the Pixel and it's WAY too expensive.

Android has a huge % of the market here and in every country and Google's services are clearly well supported here. So, I don't think you can say they're ignoring the market. They may be trying to get one or more of the networks to take the Pixel as a bill pay contract phone. That's been their strategy elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I agree for the money it's not great.

Also design wise it looks way too much like a fairly crude iPhone clone, which is disappointing considering they could have struck out and done something genuinely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Finally got this to work in Dunnes today. The lady at the till knew about it thankfully and had the patience to tell me to move the phone along the terminal. Then a simple sound and it is done with a drop down notification on your phone with the details.

The big disappointment for me is that you can't go back into the app later and view your purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The big disappointment for me is that you can't go back into the app later and view your purchases.
    Yes you can. What happens when you go into the app and tap on the card you used to pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does your phone have to physically touch the terminal for the transaction to go through? I wouldn't fancy having the phone touch the terminal, lord knows what bacteria, faeces etc would be on some phones.

Does your phone have to physically touch the terminal for the transaction to go through? I wouldn't fancy having the phone touch the terminal, lord knows what bacteria, faeces etc would be on some phones.
    Nope, within a few inches normally. I wouldn't worry too much about bacteria from a tap. Unless you're going around disinfecting door handles before you use them then indirect transmission via phones tapping a terminal are going to be the least of your worries.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Yes you can. What happens when you go into the app and tap on the card you used to pay?

Fair play. I can see that it is there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I wish I could be arsed changing banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

It's not worth their while here. They'll never even get a sniff of Apples share here.
    What are your sources for this? I'd be delighted to hear. Anecdotally, I see very few Iphones, but I don't place any importance in anecdotes, I prefer hard facts and/or statistics.

GS.statcounter have Android at 55% for Ireland
    http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-IE-monthly-201512-201612

Netmarketshare have it similar for Ireland
    http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1

Unfortunately w3w don't break it down by country, just says worldwide its about 75%
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_mobile.asp

Nor does Akamai, it gives overall Android at 56% worldwide
    https://www.akamai.com/us/en/solutions/intelligent-platform/visualizing-akamai/internet-observatory/internet-observatory-explore-data.jsp#stat=browser_ver&top=5&type=line&start=20150104&end=20170103&net=both

Nor does Clicky, but gives Android around 55% worldwide
    https://clicky.com/marketshare/global/operating-systems/mobile/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Can't seem to edit my old post so adding new ones here for the list:

Worked with no issues:

Aldi
    Tesco
    Dunnes Stores
    KFC
    Local Chippers
    Homestore and More
    5/1 - Lidi
    5/1 - Halfords

Didn't work
    Harvey Norman
    Mothercare (who refused to let me try: "We don't take the phone here")
    Homestore and More (different one to the one it worked in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Reati wrote: »
    Can't seem to edit my old post so adding new ones here for the list:

Worked with no issues:

Aldi
    Tesco
    Dunnes Stores
    KFC
    Local Chippers
    Homestore and More
    5/1 - Lidi
    5/1 - Halfords

Didn't work
    Harvey Norman
    Mothercare (who refused to let me try: "We don't take the phone here")
    Homestore and More (different one to the one it worked in)

something about the line, we dont take the phone here has me laughing.

Little bit annoyed that I couldn't use it in a well known chain of bars in Cork last night when I had very little cash one me, they can't do it for under €10 was the reason. Do the payment organisation actually follow up when this sort of thing is reported?

Am I right in thinking the cost to retailers for a single transaction is legally limited to 10 bps (basis points) or 0.1%? Meaning my two pints would have cost them less than a cent. That's way cheaper than lodging cash if I remember correctly.

Edit: looks like that's what the card issuer can charge the bank, the bank fee is on top of that. Can't be much more though can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Little bit annoyed that I couldn't use it in a well known chain of bars in Cork last night when I had very little cash one me, they can't do it for under €10 was the reason. Do the payment organisation actually follow up when this sort of thing is reported?

Its a hark back to transaction fees of old. The fees to the retailer are not really clear so it would be up to the Bank or Android pay to make sure retailers are informed of how the fees impact them for transactions.

Which is why retailers used to have minimum transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Giving the cost of handling cash I can really not understand why a retailer would not prefer card payments, especially those via NFC which are dealt with for a smaller fee than for example full card payments.

In addition the transaction time for NFC if done correctly is way quicker than handling cash, especially when change has to be produced.

I'm paying with NFC via my phone since years and it works fantastic for me. Now there are still some hold outs in Ireland and even more so in Germany but otherwise it's really getting more and more popular, especially since Apple Pay got introduced in more and more countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Do the payment organisation actually follow up when this sort of thing is reported?

Just regards this I reported a petrol station chain who were trying to enforce a minimum transaction limit few years ago, a few weeks later I thought Id chance it they took my card for something less than 10e.

I was told at the time they actually get on to the card machine provider to get on to the retailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

In topaz today I decided to use it on items under €10. Got asked to sign for the transaction before it got authorised. Is this normal? Is this the equivalent of being asked to enter your pin every so often with contactless cards? Seems like a step backwards if so.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Apparently from February AIB will be charging 20c for each of these transactions or other contactless ones.

Are there any charges for pin ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭15MrC

Apparently from February AIB will be charging 20c for each of these transactions or other contactless ones.

They've said on the Talk To AIB section that they've no plans to start charging.

Quote:
    Hi all,

Contactless fees are currently waived until the 24th Feb 2017, we have no immediate plans to charge for Contactless and we intend on extending the waiver. The Contactless waiver also covers Android Pay Contactless transactions.

Many thanks,

Wayne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Ah no!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I seen a guy use it in Ikea the other day.

Advertisement