Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ah no!
    They technically always charged for it, they just waived the fee when billing.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Just regards this I reported a petrol station chain who were trying to enforce a minimum transaction limit few years ago, a few weeks later I thought Id chance it they took my card for something less than 10e.

I was told at the time they actually get on to the card machine provider to get on to the retailer.
    Who did you actually make the complaint to actually? I had a small look but couldn't find any obvious place to report them to Visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

TheChizler wrote: »
    Who did you actually make the complaint to actually? I had a small look but couldn't find any obvious place to report them to Visa.

The banking and payments federation of Ireland, www.bpfi.ie

I would send an email to info@bpfi.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

FrostyJim wrote: »
    In topaz today I decided to use it on items under €10. Got asked to sign for the transaction before it got authorised. Is this normal? Is this the equivalent of being asked to enter your pin every so often with contactless cards? Seems like a step backwards if so.
    I've had this too. The working there was just as confused. He asked me why I was being asked to sign! Seems to be a Topaz thing as it's never happened elsewhere and I'm using Android pay as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Tried to use Pay today in Tesco and it would not go through. My phone vibrated like it usually does but the Pay App didn't open. Tried opening the app and still nothing. Luckily I had my card with me to use. First time I have got problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Tried to use Pay today in Tesco and it would not go through. My phone vibrated like it usually does but the Pay App didn't open. Tried opening the app and still nothing. Luckily I had my card with me to use. First time I have got problem with it.

The android pay app doesn't usually open for me, all that happens is after the vibration I'll get a notification of the cost. Am yet to try it in tesco though.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    The android pay app doesn't usually open for me, all that happens is after the vibration I'll get a notification of the cost. Am yet to try it in tesco though.

I don't mean the app itself open. It like a pop up where it shows the card and then a little Android shows up with a tick.

That never happened today. It's just vibrates and nothing.

NikoTopps wrote: »
    I don't mean the app itself open. It like a pop up where it shows the card and then a little Android shows up with a tick.

That never happened today. It's just vibrates and nothing.
    I've had problems at the staffed tills in Tesco. Never the self service. Staffed one wouldn't accept payments over 30.

I've had problems at the staffed tills in Tesco. Never the self service. Staffed one wouldn't accept payments over 30.

I have used it on both and there's never been an issue. It even worked fine on the exact self service checkout it didn't work on today. It was never over €30 but it always worked. The app nor my phone haven't been updated in the meantime, nothing has changed so I just don't know what the issue is. I'll have to try it again tomorrow sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Reati wrote: »
    I've had this too. The working there was just as confused. He asked me why I was being asked to sign! Seems to be a Topaz thing as it's never happened elsewhere and I'm using Android pay as much as possible.

I got asked to sign once, I think it randomly asks, the same way normal contactless used to sometimes ask you to insert and use a pin.

Easons in Connolly Station has a sign up explicitly not allowing android pay.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »

Not allowing use or not enabled as they are two different things. I don't think they can say they don't allow it but who'd challenge them! :)

Not allowing use or not enabled as they are two different things. I don't think they can say they don't allow it but who'd challenge them! :)

He said it was company policy, they didn't allow it.

He said it was company policy, they didn't allow it.
    Can do they that? Even technically I wonder can they block it?

Not without blocking all contactless transactions surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Not without blocking all contactless transactions surely.
    That's what I thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Strange, weren't Easons one of the launch partner shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

dulpit wrote: »
    Strange, weren't Easons one of the launch partner shops?

yep this blog past proves it.

https://www.blog.google/topics/shopping-payments/android-pay-ireland/

maybe someone should get on to google.

And still listed here

https://www.android.com/intl/en_ie/pay/where-to-use/?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=ieannouncement&utm_medium=blog

anyone confirm if all the easons have signs up?

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone confirm if all the easons have signs up?

In Eason in Athlone Town Centre it worked fine when I used it a few weeks ago. Not sure about recently.

The Easons in Connolly station is a newsagent, not a bookshop. So it is potentially operated on a Franchise agreement, as I am heading back through I might snap a pic of the sign.

• Advertisement

The Easons in Connolly station is a newsagent, not a bookshop. So it is potentially operated on a Franchise agreement, as I am heading back through I might snap a pic of the sign.

Do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Used it a few times in Iceland, the country, not the shop, last week! Mind you, everybody uses cards including contactless for everything there, so not too surprising really.

Do :)

Forgot, I will try again today.

Costcutter on Dorset street also had a guy on Sunday who said I couldn't use the phone. Might just have been Sunday staff on shift work though, he acted like he had never seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

In my opinion it's become a bit of a chore, most times I want to use it, I have do educate the seller - discuss and end up using my card to avoid hassle. For now I have pretty much stopped using it all together. I'd expect shops (at least inside the Dublin centre) to be educated by now but until it become more common - maybe after apple pay launches - I'm tired of the back and forth, discussions and so on for now. In the beginning with the excitement of using it it was fine but a few weeks in you just want to use it and be done with the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    In my opinion it's become a bit of a chore, most times I want to use it, I have do educate the seller - discuss and end up using my card to avoid hassle. For now I have pretty much stopped using it all together. I'd expect shops (at least inside the Dublin centre) to be educated by now but until it become more common - maybe after apple pay launches - I'm tired of the back and forth, discussions and so on for now. In the beginning with the excitement of using it it was fine but a few weeks in you just want to use it and be done with the transaction.

Yep and as a result I'm mostly using it just at self service points like in Tesco or McD's, or where the card machine is right at the front of the desk and not tucked away somewhere. If there's even a sniff of hassle then I'm back to the card.

But it was like that too back when contactless was introduced, only difference now being that we have the terminals but not so much the mass of users to 'allay the mystery'. Anyone have any figures for number of active Android pay users after the first month?

I felt a bit weird taking a photo, so I zoomed like crazy.

The only conclusion I can come to is that they don't accept any cards that need to be signed for, and sometimes tap and pay asks you to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The only conclusion I can come to is that they don't accept any cards that need to be signed for, and sometimes tap and pay asks you to sign.

pretty sure thats against merchant cards rules. That means they wont take a non chip cards. Plenty of americans with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Pete123456

a bit strange... theyve ruled out most US based cards with that notice cause they have a chip but still use a signature. It really sounds like the manager/owner is afraid of the technology in case they get scammed and need to be educated. They will lose out on sales im sure. Maybe not a lot but some all the same

I'd hold up my card as if I was to pay regular contactless and pull a last second switcheroo... The do realize it's the exact same thing from their point of view?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I think some merchants fear fraud because there is no visible card but in reality payments via a phone app as safer for them too.

The only time I get problems with acceptance is when I use it for higher amounts. I don't use Android Pay, I use some alternative provider and have paid some higher values with it without problem after I explained that it's possible. All they care about it to see the approved message.

Some shops really need to be reported or not used if they have signs like that.

Advertisement