Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I haven't had any problems with it.
    I've done over 750 Euro over 50 plus transactions since it launched. The only time I had a bit of a face thrown at me was the first day I used it.
    Transaction was for 95 Euro and the owner didn't like the way it was approved. Once I left my details with them though they were happy enough. Think it was the value going through on contactless more so than anything else.

I don't ask if I can pay with phone though. I just ask is it a contactless machine. Of its over 30, I explain that I've it set up for more than that.

Generally they take a double take when they don't see the card though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So can android pay usually pay over 30? I thought it was only on a minority of machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

errlloyd wrote: »
    So can android pay usually pay over 30? I thought it was only on a minority of machines.

I've had no problem in any places I've used it to pay more than 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Only place I've had trouble was in Penneys. Apparently their machines will only look for contactless €30 and under and will only look for a card to be inserted over it. I've used it for over €30 in a good few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    In my opinion it's become a bit of a chore, most times I want to use it, I have do educate the seller - discuss and end up using my card to avoid hassle. For now I have pretty much stopped using it all together. I'd expect shops (at least inside the Dublin centre) to be educated by now but until it become more common - maybe after apple pay launches - I'm tired of the back and forth, discussions and so on for now. In the beginning with the excitement of using it it was fine but a few weeks in you just want to use it and be done with the transaction.

In my case at least, I always just say I'm paying with Card and have my phone in my hand and just tap. I don't bother to say paying with Android Pay or mobile payment or anything like that. Just card, and tap. I've never gotten any evil eyes from merchant and I don't explain what it is unless they ask. Could you not try something similar?

• Advertisement

Would you be able to tell us where? Would be useful to have a list of places which accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Would you be able to tell us where? Would be useful to have a list of places which accept it.
    Reason back a few pages there was a list compiled and people have updated since.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Reason back a few pages there was a list compiled and people have updated since.

You're right,my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I downloaded it on the first day and used it a few times since, with no real problems. As people are saying, it is a pity more institutions aren't supporting it. I posted today in the Bank of Ireland Talk To forum that there was article in the Sunday Independent Business section yesterday about EVO Payments and their partnership with Bank of Ireland in regard to contactless payments. EVO themselves, support Android Pay, but Bank of Ireland don't. It's strange that although they can do contactless payments and they have a partner in this facility that supports Android Pay, they don't even have plans to do so. It makes the article in the newspaper seem pointless. Maybe they are doing a deal with Samsung or Apple and are tied to confidentiality for now until some fanfare launch, but the type of answers they and other institutions are giving about this, saying they have no plans, looks bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Had a strange one over weekend. Was in a pub (wetherspoons in Cork), their terminals all say they accept Android Pay. Went to pay, came up with a message saying invalid card type. Used my card instead (contactless) and it worked fine. :confused:

dulpit wrote: »
    Had a strange one over weekend. Was in a pub (wetherspoons in Cork), their terminals all say they accept Android Pay. Went to pay, came up with a message saying invalid card type. Used my card instead (contactless) and it worked fine. :confused:

Nandos card machines said it would work way back in October, but I think it is because they used the same terminals they use in the UK and get the same software updates. Spoons could have been the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Patww79 wrote: »
    They do, used it on day one, and a couple of times since.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

AIB account open and ATM card on the way. :)

The lengths I'll go to for the sake of nerdiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Applegreen Letterkenny told me they have a block on it for over €30 but are hoping to lift it soon other than that it's worked well everywhere ive tried.
    Still not confident enough to try and use it without having the card in my pocket just incase!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

My mate who has been using Android Pay had an unauthorised transaction but the money was not taken out by AIB.

His story is unusual ...

"I got a notification that Android pay/my Visa Debit card had been used to pay €2 in Starbucks in XXXXXX. As you know the last place on earth I will spend money is in a Starbucks cafe. I contacted AIB and they said that the money had not been deducted from my account so it was of no concern to them. I phoned Android Pay and spoke for about 30 minutes to a girl in Nevada USA. She called in their technical team and they all said that it was a mystery. I had passed Starbucks twice that day. One walking and one by bus."

What do you think caused this transaction to appear but not get deducted?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What's more worrying is they cannot explain it!

It's pretty good that there is a paper trail for them to investigate though. If someone had robbed 2 quid from your pocket while you walked by starbucks it'd be gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

irishgeo wrote: »
    pretty sure thats against merchant cards rules. That means they wont take a non chip cards. Plenty of americans with them.

Not sure about the rules governing them, but I get the same with One4All cards in a lot of places. Most terminals allow a 'swipey' type reading of a card, which is all the One4All cards require + a signature, just the same as lot of the cards USA-ians use. Even when it's blatantly obvious that a terminal will allow a swipe a lot of merchants just say "no, our machine doesn't take them".

I have walked out of shops etc that have done this before, leaving their goods on the counter and my money in my bank account. There're plenty of other shops that are quite happy to be paid in any form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

JTMan wrote: »
    My mate who has been using Android Pay had an unauthorised transaction but the money was not taken out by AIB.

His story is unusual ...

"I got a notification that Android pay/my Visa Debit card had been used to pay €2 in Starbucks in XXXXXX. As you know the last place on earth I will spend money is in a Starbucks cafe. I contacted AIB and they said that the money had not been deducted from my account so it was of no concern to them. I phoned Android Pay and spoke for about 30 minutes to a girl in Nevada USA. She called in their technical team and they all said that it was a mystery. I had passed Starbucks twice that day. One walking and one by bus."

What do you think caused this transaction to appear but not get deducted?

Thanks.

Sometimes when I use Android Pay at Tesco, it comes up with Costa Coffee (right beside Tesco) in the notification rather than Tesco but with the correct amount I paid. Maybe the application uses your location for the store name rather than the getting it from the terminal? Did you buy something somewhere else for €2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

2 EUR was not spent on anything else locally. 2 EUR has not been taken out of the AIB account. It was a bogus transaction that appeared inside Android Pay and nobody seems to know why it appeared but no damage has been done at the same time. It is just weird and a little concerning.

Have been using Android pay a fair bit the last week or two, and has generally worked well, except for being made to sign the receipt in Topaz.

On Sunday I went into Smyths, and despite their terminals all displaying Android pay, and the guy serving me saying that it worked, the terminal asked me to insert card or swipe when it requested payment. Tried tapping phone twice, no go......tried contactless on card, still nothing. Ended up having to insert my card and use my pin. Was a bit embarrassing with a queue of people behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yeah as well as having to sign for transactions in Topaz, their temrinals also don't accept android pay on transactions over €30. It's a real pity this isn't being rolled out more professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Basil3 wrote: »
    Have been using Android pay a fair bit the last week or two, and has generally worked well, except for being made to sign the receipt in Topaz.

On Sunday I went into Smyths, and despite their terminals all displaying Android pay, and the guy serving me saying that it worked, the terminal asked me to insert card or swipe when it requested payment. Tried tapping phone twice, no go......tried contactless on card, still nothing. Ended up having to insert my card and use my pin. Was a bit embarrassing with a queue of people behind!

That's part of contactless in general though, from time to time you'll be prompted to enter PIN as additional security.

That's part of contactless in general though, from time to time you'll be prompted to enter PIN as additional security.

Na, it just wasn't working. I even told the guy that the screen was saying to swipe or insert card. No option for contactless once it requested payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Getting that information out of any bank will be difficult if Bank of Ireland's response is anything to go by:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057702593

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Basil3 wrote:
    Na, it just wasn't working. I even told the guy that the screen was saying to swipe or insert card. No option for contactless once it requested payment.

Was it over €30? I had that in Penny's. Because the transaction was over €30, the machine didn't have the contact less option.

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Was it over €30? I had that in Penny's. Because the transaction was over €30, the machine didn't have the contact less option.

Doh! That would be it....was only just over €30 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

With PTSB its not from time to time, its contactless transactions 3 times in a row before pin.

Advertisement