Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

with Ulster Bank, apart from having to initiate the card with a PIN transaction, I've never been asked for the PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, I've never been asked either (with KBC)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

loyatemu wrote: »
    with Ulster Bank, apart from having to initiate the card with a PIN transaction, I've never been asked for the PIN.

Wait, can Ulster Bank users use Android Pay now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its 3 transactions in a row in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Wait, can Ulster Bank users use Android Pay now?
    No not yet, that was just about regular contactless with the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Yeah as well as having to sign for transactions in Topaz, their temrinals also don't accept android pay on transactions over €30. It's a real pity this isn't being rolled out more professionally.
    I've used it for over €30 transaction in Topaz, but the terminal does spew out an extra till receipt requesting a signature for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Alun wrote: »
    I've used it for over €30 transaction in Topaz, but the terminal does spew out an extra till receipt requesting a signature for some reason.

Must just be some Topaz shops then. My local displayed a message on the terminal "payment method not supported on amounts over €30" when trying to pay for petrol the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I've calculated that more than 60% of all my purchases in the last 4 weeks have been on Android Pay. I'm still getting the occasional surprised look at tills but no refusals. Anyone else fully converted or do most just find it gimmicky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Patww79 wrote: »
    I wouldn't even try to use it until it's down to zero embarrassment at tills, even once my bank does it. And we won't get to that stage until Apple pay arrives.

How often these days are you.left explaining at a till? Has that part got better at all since launch?

I haven't had to explain in a while, when I wave the phone people know, although every day someone says it's the first time they have seen it used. I've heard a few people refer to it as PayPal.

I used it for a transaction over €150 in M&S today - I was surprised such a high amount went through.

• Advertisement

I've not had to explain to anyone, but the girl in McDonald's drive though in Naas on Friday was totally impressed..

Meant to comment here the other day, did anyone notice the love hearts appearing after payment on valentines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I haven't had to explain it in a while BUUT.

The cashier at O Brien's offlicense in Donnybrook was halfway through saying "that won't work" when it beeped, and he was fairly impressed.

I am loving it tbh. I went on two pretty long runs last week with just my phone for music, no wallet. Both times I was able to drop in to a shop and grab something a quick snack paying with my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Seriously, what embarrassment would you suffer at tills?

You seem to be convinced the Apple pay is going to kick start Android pay acceptance yet it works the same way.

Most people here are using it with zero embarrassment as you put it. AIB have had plenty of ads on TV for Android pay and as I said to you in another thread I use it daily around the East and South East area with no problem. If you encounter a store where people are difficult it's very easy to educated them as errlloyd mentioned in his example.

I seriously think you are just looking to find fault with a new technology which will have teething pains.

Android pay is a great companion to have and I'm fully converted to using it where it's the best method for me.

Had a pretty funny experience at Nike Outlet yesterday. Used my phone to pay for something around €70. I was concentrating on paying, but the Mrs said that the girl behind the counter was pulling a face like she had no idea what I was doing. Afterwards, the girl serving me said she had never seen anyone do that before....you'd wonder why they don't tell their staff about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So I was feeling sorry for myself this morning and decided I needed a McDonald's coffee (which, of course turned into a Sausage McMuffin sandwich). Seeing the Android pay sign at the drive through, I decided I would use my phone to pay.

The phone vibrated to acknowledge the payment, but the payment terminal flashed up "Security Check". So I had to dig my card out of the wallet and suffer the indignity of having to insert the card and the PIN. Oh, the humanity. :pac:

Is this normal for the first time use?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I haven't figured out those security checks yet. They come up every so often for large purchases, asks for the pin and when I put it in both the app and the terminal freeze.

It's only happened to me once so far, oddly enough at a McDonald's drive-thru... Lucky I had my wallet on me, I hadn't planned on bringing it with me for the quick spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Was asked to sign once in Topaz. That's it so far.

I'm going to have to call bull**** on this I'm afraid. I've used android pay loads of places, only 2 people were surprised I could do it, and 1 of them was because they thought their card machines hadn't yet been updated to allow contactless. Other than that, it's been seemless and I've had none of this "dodgy" looks.

As for embarrassment when they ask for card, it's not. It's a minor inconvenience, but one you would have to go through using a contactless card anyway, it's not specific to android pay.

As for thinking that apple pay (if it comes) will make it all okay, it's not needed. People know it works, it's a perfectly acceptable form of payment all over the place now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Reati wrote: »
    Was asked to sign once in Topaz. That's it so far.

Have only ever been asked to sign in topaz, but I get asked to sign there every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Just because Apple Fanboys are looking down on Android users does not mean that payments via phone are not already working.

I'm using my phone since a long time to pay (even before Android Pay came to Ireland) and while there from time to time are hickups (just as there are with card payments) ever since Android Pay launched it has become routine for most people.

Androidpay is just one example of pay by phone, there are loads of solutions out there and all offer different advantages. The solution I use is also allowing higher payments without the need to enter the PIN on the terminal (as it's done in the App) which can sometimes create an initial confusion but once the shop person sees "approved" on their terminal that is all they care about. Some terminal don't like payments via NFC for over 30€ but once again that is than clearly shown on the error message.

Why people think it's an embarrassment when the terminal asks for additional details, is beyond me. Just because some person in the queue immediately jumps to the conclusion that it must be "declined" does not cause my any trouble. I know I have the funds, it's a technical problem and it's up to the shop to sort it out if needed. I don't care what the people in the queue think, it's their problem not mine.

Sure once Apple launches their restrictive product for their restrictive environment it's all going to go even better because more people are aware of it, but in the meantime there is no issue with payment by phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭thomasj

dulpit wrote:
    As for thinking that apple pay (if it comes) will make it all okay, it's not needed. People know it works, it's a perfectly acceptable form of payment all over the place now.

A little more on this seen as Apple pay is mentioned here, reports saying Apple pay will launch in Ireland today, for Ulster Bank and KBC customers.

It still wouldn't convince me to go out and buy an iPhone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

thomasj wrote: »
    A little more on this seen as Apple pay is mentioned here, reports saying Apple pay will launch in Ireland today, for Ulster Bank and KBC customers.

It still wouldn't convince me to go out and buy an iPhone! :D

I hope this is truth because the more the merrier! I am sure we will see the Apple Pay stick all over if it do launch in Éire, unlike the Android Pay where you cannot see it anywhere! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

NikoTopps wrote: »
    I hope this is truth because the more the merrier! I am sure we will see the Apple Pay stick all over if it do launch in Éire, unlike the Android Pay where you cannot see it anywhere! :confused:

M&s and Dinners accept android pay now. It's gradually making its way out there but could do with education given to the retailers. Also annoying that some don't allow transactions over €30 on Android pay.

He was right: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/apple-pay-contactless-service-launches-in-ireland-1.3000151

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

dulpit wrote: »

Great news! Good to have other big player in market and fair play to KBC for having both!

Meanwhile I try to use Android Pay in a Tesco few minutes ago, phone vibrate but terminal sat payment not processed. Very odd.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Great news! Good to have other big player in market and fair play to KBC for having both!

Meanwhile I try to use Android Pay in a Tesco few minutes ago, phone vibrate but terminal sat payment not processed. Very odd.

I tried it the other day in tesco and it worked perfectly. It was my first time using android pay but I can see myself using it more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Well according to the previous posts of the Apple Fan Boys, as of today there should be no more issues paying with phones, because now that Apple has "invented" mobile payments and the great Irish public who loves Apple so much will fall in line and just accept it.

But it's great news that another form of payment is available and unfortunately it seams that the Apple Fan Boys are right, it brings move publicity and makes it easier.

Now the big advantage for apple users not banking with ulster/KBC they can use boon. with is a prepaid wallet directly in Apple pay (boon. is also available on Android but is a separate app not directly integrated in Android Pay).

Advertisement