Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I think it's laughable that Ulster Bank support Apple Pay immediately after it's launch yet months after Android Pay was launched and nothing.
    iSheep and MacTards are still an entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I find myself using it more and more often now than actually using my card. One thing that I cannot get my no head around though, is the app not functioning without a screen lock in place.

What's that all about, if you can use it without unlocking the phone anyway:confused:

The bank will dictate that requirement I think, without pattern/code someone could in theory take phone and rank up transactions. For phone without the fingerprint it is just that little bit secure that the bank want

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    How do you guys use it so much, tried in Nespresso in Arnotts and they kept telling me phones dont work. I told them I dont have a card and just tapped it, and if course it worked. Such a pain always discussing.

Just say you are pay with card or Contactless, they press button on their terminal for card, it will come up with the Contactless simbol and you can tap it. Most people just do not care,you could pay with a sock as long as they get that all important ,approved/authorised' message :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

NikoTopps wrote: »
    The bank will dictate that requirement I think, without pattern/code someone could in theory take phone and rank up transactions. For phone without the fingerprint it is just that little bit secure that the bank want

It to offer security for purchases over €30.

Your phone is identical to the card up to €30 but go over that and you need that extra layer of security. Makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I think it's laughable that Ulster Bank support Apple Pay immediately after it's launch yet months after Android Pay was launched and nothing.
    iSheep and MacTards are still an entity.

Ulster bank are part of RBS. IN the backend they already supported it in NI so from an educated guess, they probably only needed to turn on a switch together with Apple.

And yes iSheep.It's 2017, haven't heard that phrase since 2014 or so! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Yeah, but you can pay with the phone with the screen still locked, so if the security pattern isn't required, it makes the security restriction all the more baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can people confirm if they have to call AIB to verify when adding an AIB Click credit card.

I had mine in, it kept getting decline on Android pay, so I rang them. They didn't know why, and told me to delete and re add it. They said I wouldn't have to ring them again but when I add it, it prompts me to call to verify. Beginning to piss me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

errlloyd wrote:
    Can people confirm if they have to call AIB to verify when adding an AIB Click credit card.

Have my Aib Visa debit and Mastercard added without any problem or having to call Aib.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

errlloyd wrote: »

I had mine in, it kept getting decline on Android pay, so I rang them. They didn't know why, and told me to delete and re add it. They said I wouldn't have to ring them again but when I add it, it prompts me to call to verify. Beginning to piss me off!

No need to call them when I set mine up on the release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Can you set it that it does not allow any payments until the phone is unlocked? I've a oneplus 3t so the fingerprint would be a great bit of security for every payment if I could do that

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »

It should have link to ring them, tap it and it'll open your dialler then press back and there should be an option then for SMS. That work for some people but for me the SMS option was there when I add my Visa Debit

daraghwal wrote: »
    Can you set it that it does not allow any payments until the phone is unlocked? I've a oneplus 3t so the fingerprint would be a great bit of security for every payment if I could do that

No,, unfortunately there is not yet. I am in the similar case but with OP3 and S7

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do different retailers have different settings that allow/disallow phone payment?

I used my Note 5 with AIB Debit card no problem on Friday. Went to Supervalu again this morning, tried the phone and got "Card not supported". Got out the AIB Debit card that is associated with the phone/Android pay and it worked fine.

So it appears the shop has consciously disabled (or not enabled) Android Pay.

Do different retailers have different settings that allow/disallow phone payment?

I used my Note 5 with AIB Debit card no problem on Friday. Went to Supervalu again this morning, tried the phone and got "Card not supported". Got out the AIB Debit card that is associated with the phone/Android pay and it worked fine.

So it appears the shop has consciously disabled (or not enabled) Android Pay.

I got card not supported too in a centra, which I assume is the same payment system as supervalu seeing as it's musgraves. Although this is the only time I've used android pay and my card isn't actually contactless but I was hoping my phone would still work with it. I got the email and everthing to say it was set up successfully etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

I've used it a few times previously in SV but it wouldn't work last week and the checkout operator said it happened someone else the day before, not sure what error msg came up.

I've only been having trouble with it since Apple Pay has been introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Every now and then I try my Ulster Bank card on Android pay. Low and behold I got a terms and conditions page this time. I accepted and it tries to verify with bank but fails, says to contact bank. I'd say its coming soon. Sorry if this has already being mentioned, i only went back a page.

neilc wrote: »
    Every now and then I try my Ulster Bank card on Android pay. Low and behold I got a terms and conditions page this time. I accepted and it tries to verify with bank but fails, says to contact bank. I'd say its coming soon. Sorry if this has already being mentioned, i only went back a page.

i dont think it was mention before but that is great news for people in Banc Uladh. Hopefully the other will join in soon

i do not know if it is my phone(OnePlus3) or recent update to Android Pay app or that device update to 7,1,1 but it seem a lot faster now.The green tick with Android seem to show a lot faster now . before,sometime the animation would hang a little.Annyone else find this or it just a OP3 specific thing?

i do not know if it is my phone(OnePlus3) or recent update to Android Pay app or that device update to 7,1,1 but it seem a lot faster now.The green tick with Android seem to show a lot faster now . before,sometime the animation would hang a little.Annyone else find this or it just a OP3 specific thing?

3T is extremely quick too but I've nothing to compare it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

I have my AIB debit card set up on my one plus 3t but haven't been able to get this working yet. Would phone cover restrict the NFC or do I need to open the app before trying to pay or am I doing something wrong?

• Advertisement

Carroller wrote: »
    I have my AIB debit card set up on my one plus 3t but haven't been able to get this working yet. Would phone cover restrict the NFC or do I need to open the app before trying to pay or am I doing something wrong?

I have never got it to work either. By quick in my last post I meant quick to detect it etc. but it hasn't worked. I only tried it once but then realised my phone may not work when my card isn't actually contactless. I ordered a new contactless card that should be here by the end of the week so I'll give an update when I get the chance to use it. Anyone else here use the 3T?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Works fine with my one plus 3.
    The case could be an issue.

Does it pop up on the payment terminal or nothing at all? I get a message on the terminal to try another card.

My card is contactless so it's not that. It's like it doesn't recognise it. Although the one time it did I got a notification on the terminal to only use one card

My card is contactless so it's not that. It's like it doesn't recognise it. Although the one time it did I got a notification on the terminal to only use one card

Are you use a wallet case which could have other card come in contact with terminal?And of course make sure have the nfc turn on in settings :pac:

daraghwal wrote: »
    I have never got it to work either. By quick in my last post I meant quick to detect it etc. but it hasn't worked. I only tried it once but then realised my phone may not work when my card isn't actually contactless. I ordered a new contactless card that should be here by the end of the week so I'll give an update when I get the chance to use it. Anyone else here use the 3T?
    If your physical card not Contactless that doesn't matter at all.The card in Android Pay is totally separate card,different card number etc.They have no relation other than bank can see they are both yours!Make sure in app that it is properly set up, not waiting for confirmation or something & make sure the nfc on.Maybe remove card and try to add again and see how that go?Try to pay with no case,try in Tesco SelfCheckout and the nfc on op3/t is on top above the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

I've an Otterbox on my S6 but it works if I use the front of the phone if you get me.

Anyone know where the NFC is on the S6?

Are you use a wallet case which could have other card come in contact with terminal?And of course make sure have the nfc turn on in settings :pac:

NFC turned on and no card in the case. Using an OtterBox for 3t. Will keep trying it out though

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mgudim

NFC turned on and no card in the case. Using an OtterBox for 3t. Will keep trying it out though
    Try disabling Android Beam in settings, saw it suggested on reddit. I have it disabled on my oneplus 3 and I haven't had any issues with android pay. The NFC is right where the camera is, so the case shouldn't affect it.

• Advertisement

Revolut are soon to launch Apple Pay,i hope they will do the same with Android Pay.

Advertisement