Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did you unlock it with the fingerprint? If so, that's probably it.
    Yes, I did. Great if that's it, saves the hassle of getting a beep from the phone and having to enter the PIN again while the assistant looks at you suspiciously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I was in Eddie Rockets today with my boyfriend,total came to 47€ or something about that.Reluctant to use my actual card i said about Contactless&she said it was for transaction 15€ or less,I said it rose 30€ while ago and she say it was the machine is outdated.I ask can i try pay 15€ as a single payment with Pay{i was curious as it was first big issue with Pay in a while),terminal say something like only present 1 card at time when i tried tap.i relented and pay with card,she lift up the terminal to me to pay chip&pin and i see
    (Old)«AIB Merchant Services» logo on it!:rolleyes: Just thought i would share for anyone go Eddie Rockets O Connel and except to pay with... Pay!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Huh? So did you try Android Pay or not? It's not clear what happened.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Huh? So did you try Android Pay or not? It's not clear what happened.

Yes,i did . but terminal just say present one card only, or some things along these lines. Phone vibrated but didn't come with green tick like usual

Sorry it wasn't clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This is a new one to me. I have reported here before how my local SuperValu does not accept Android Pay. So I was in there yesterday, got a message on my phone from Android Pay, naming the shop (e.g. "Murphy's SuperValu") and the location and saying that it now accepts Android Pay. Went to the till, showed the cashier the message, tried the phone and got the familiar "Card Type not accepted". Paid with the physical card and lo and behold, it worked. :)

• Advertisement

I've got the card type not accepted message a few times if my phone isn't completely unlocked for over 30 or is in the process of the screen turning off, always works subsequently.

Has anyone figured out how the default card works fully? I was of the impression that if the app is closed it will always pick the default card, and if it's in the background it'll pick the last selected card. However the last two purchases picked the last selected card even though the app had been completely closed for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Was travelling for a few Weeks. Used Tap in the UK and in mainland europe. Small amounts but it worked.

Reati wrote: »
    Was travelling for a few Weeks. Used Tap in the UK and in mainland europe. Small amounts but it worked.

Good to hear it worked,in the mainland Europe countries you visited how did the cashier react?Was there any apprehension because it not launch there yet`?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Patww79 wrote: »
    I see you can now add PayPal to Android Pay in the US, so maybe it'll follow for other markets soon.

I *hate* it when the articles online don't specify US only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That'll be a handy way of getting around needing a Bank to partner with Android Pay.

I see you can now add PayPal to Android Pay in the US, so maybe it'll follow for other markets soon.

Unfortunately i dont think that is likely in the meantime at least because PayPal use over the Discover card acceptance network which is practically non-existent outside of USA

Unless of course PayPal can make a deal with Visa or Mastercard

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

Anyone got Tesco loyalty card working in Android Pay? It registers ok but when I am trying to use it - the machine does not "see" it.

sudaltsov wrote: »
    Anyone got Tesco loyalty card working in Android Pay? It registers ok but when I am trying to use it - the machine does not "see" it.

Unfortunately due to type of scanning tech those tills use they cannot read the phone screen ,there used to be an app for Samsung device which was able to mimick a loyalty card using infrared but that have since been bought by Samsung for using in Samsung Pay which has not launched here yet,though it is expected this summer.

However,the Tesco clubcard app in Britain has the function to add a virtual clubcard to Android Pay which the user then scans and from reading the reviews it seems to work on the tills there. Unfortunately[again!:(] we cannot even use the apk because to verify the account they use postcode which isnt on Tesco clubcard accounts in Éire, rendering it useless :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

sudaltsov wrote: »

I haven't registered mine in Android pay yet but I have a few stored in an app called Beep'nGo. The flat scanners on the tills or self scan don't scan the barcode from the phone screen but the handheld scanner they use at the till works. I just hold the phone out for the cashier and they scan it. Works every time.

If you select "Item does not scan" at the self service, you can type in the number from the card and it will be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Unfortunately due to type of scanning tech those tills use they cannot read the phone screen ,there used to be an app for Samsung device which was able to mimick a loyalty card using infrared but that have since been bought by Samsung for using in Samsung Pay which has not launched here yet,though it is expected this summer.

However,the Tesco clubcard app in Britain has the function to add a virtual clubcard to Android Pay which the user then scans and from reading the reviews it seems to work on the tills there. Unfortunately[again!:(] we cannot even use the apk because to verify the account they use postcode which isnt on Tesco clubcard accounts in Éire, rendering it useless :mad::mad:

You can add a tesco clubcard directly in the app though, the Irish version doesn't have a barcode, but the UK one does. However when I tried adding mine it showed a different number than is printed on my card, and it wouldn't scan in store. It does still pop up a notification when I'm in the store though.

But I was curious about this and I googled and saw this on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5qn0s8/uk_loyalty_cards_on_android_pay/ which has a QR code instead. Perhaps these scan better than normal barcodes. I scanned that QR code on my phone, and it turned out to be just the number of the clubcard, and I found a website online that generates the same QR code for her clubcard number.

https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/

So I typed in my clubcard number and added it as a UK clubcard in the android pay app. I can't test it any further because I'm currently out of the country, but if you want to give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Wanted to demonstrate Android Pay to my manager the other day in a caf? in Kilkenny. So I was up at the till and asked if I could pay with my phone and got a blank look, so I produced my bank card instead only to be told "actually we don't take cards". So, there's still that risk.

The last week or so any time I've tried to use Android Pay my phone opens the password prompt for Samsung MyKnox. If you enter the password it opens the MyKnox Android Pay with no cards set up. This happens even if I have regular Android Pay app open before going to pay. Today in Aldi there was a new person on the till insisting that you couldn't use contactless for more than €15. Que me trying to and failing and looking like an ass trying to explain to her how she was wrong but I couldn't demonstrate it...

Any ideas? Android Pay is set up as the default payment method in settings. I had to re-add all my cards about a week ago after they disappeared for some reason, probably related. Made no changes to MyKnox recently either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

TheChizler wrote: »
    The last week or so any time I've tried to use Android Pay my phone opens the password prompt for Samsung MyKnox. If you enter the password it opens the MyKnox Android Pay with no cards set up. This happens even if I have regular Android Pay app open before going to pay. Today in Aldi there was a new person on the till insisting that you couldn't use contactless for more than €15. Que me trying to and failing and looking like an ass trying to explain to her how she was wrong but I couldn't demonstrate it...

Any ideas? Android Pay is set up as the default payment method in settings. I had to re-add all my cards about a week ago after they disappeared for some reason, probably related. Made no changes to MyKnox recently either.

Odd.. no explanation myself but a good venue for experimentation is the self serve till in Tescos on a quiet day: you get to try android pay without a checkout person thinking you're simple

• Advertisement

Odd.. no explanation myself but a good venue for experimentation is the self serve till in Tescos on a quiet day: you get to try android pay without a checkout person thinking you're simple

Just tried it there but unfortunately a crowd of onlookers were looking at me repeatedly trying as if I was simple...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Not terribly familiar with phone or android pay, but, if you go into settings -> apps -> android pay  maybe clear defaults or at least review them.
    I don't know if it comes up twice with/without knox

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭cullow123

Tried to use Android pay when paying for a item that cost €40. The phone didn't react to the terminal even after opening android pay. Any clues as to why it didn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

cullow123 wrote: »
    Tried to use Android pay when paying for a item that cost €40. The phone didn't react to the terminal even after opening android pay. Any clues as to why it didn't work?

Tried to pay for something in Tesco Self Service that was €35 and the self service screen said that contactless payments over €30 are disabled (possibly mentioned disabled by law, but I might be misremembering that part)
    Could it be something to do with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, some terminals seem to activate the contactless option regardless of amount, others are still stuck at only activating it for purchases under €30. I guess that over time the software will be updated across all terminals / payment providers but it could take a while.

Mind you, I still come across shops that don't have contactless payment options at all!

Alun wrote: »
    Mind you, I still come across shops that don't have contactless payment options at all!

That surprise to me! can i ask what county you are in? i am in Dublin and contactless is just about everywhere.I actually just came back from cinema{late night showing of Wonder Woman don't judge:pac::pac:} ,spent over 30€ and payed with Android Pay just fine. It was those same Ingenico customer facing terminals as use in Tesco or Dunnes which sometimes have problem {Tesco especially}with over 30€ in these shops

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Had a similar experience in Eddie Rockets myself recently.

The person on the till insisted that it wouldn't work over €30... she was like "no no... it won't work..." and I basically ended up having to say "well... prove me wrong then".

We do it and it works fine... as the transaction receipt is printing out she's still insisting that it won't work...

I'm just like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

NikoTopps wrote: »
    That surprise to me! can i ask what county you are in? i am in Dublin and contactless is just about everywhere.

Argos in Blanch doesn't have contactless terminals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Neither do the self service machines in Argos Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement

That is true, no Argos in Éire seem to.They have really old card terminals. It is probably the only high street retailer with such outdated terminal

Advertisement