Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I know this is probably written somewhere but can I just confirm,

for <30, you do not have to unlock the phone? Just hold it up?

And for over 30 on supported machines it then has to be launched?

I think a tasker rule will be my next port of call if the phone does not have to be unlocked for under 30, so I can just have nfc payments off while the phone is locked, if that is the case..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Got €30 petrol this morning. I just pressed the phone button to light up the screen, didn't unlock it, & worked perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I know this is probably written somewhere but can I just confirm,

for <30, you do not have to unlock the phone? Just hold it up?
    It just has to be awake, not unlocked.
    And for over 30 on supported machines it then has to be launched?
    Phone has to be unlocked in this case, by PIN or whatever other method you use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

This is a great first step towards the Amazon Go store!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Patww79 wrote: »

No existing Wear devices have NFC (apart form the Asus zenwatch, but who would own that ?). As far as I am aware, Pay has not been enabled yet for wear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Is it only available on AIB cards at the minute?

Tried activating my Ulster Bank card on it but it wasn't having any of it.

MrVestek wrote: »

Only AIB and KBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

AIB (selected cards) and KBC only.

Use alternative products (LeuPay, Boon. , SEQR) if you want it with other banks cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Only for KBC and AIB cards for the moment anyway.

Can't see myself using it since I have switch my day to day expenses over to my Ulster bank account. Plus I had to root my Nexus 6p so I could disable sound cancellation since it was ruining my phone calls and rooted devices aren't supported.

So has anyone actually used it for a purchase over €30 yet? It could be useful to create a sticky for retailers that support this.

Its possible on nearly all of their consumer cards, so you most likely are fine:

Excluded are
    • EBS branded Cards
    • Saga credit Card
    • Law Society credit Card
    • Cards that are enabled for ATM access only
    • Issuer Gift Cards
    • Commercial Cards, for instance Classic Visa Business Card, Premier Visa Corporate Card, Executive Visa Corporate Card, and Visa Purchasing Card.

Full details are here:

https://support.google.com/androidpay/answer/6314169?hl=en

I've used it with both my standard Visa Debit and Gold Visa Credit cards.

There is only one kind of Debit card anyway, so that's not a problem. It says on the website that it doesn't work with Business and Corporate cards, but you probably wouldn't expect that anyway.

There are some more 'exotic' CC products such as Click and be but there's nothing on the AIB website to suggest they don't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Alun wrote: »
    I've used it with both my standard Visa Debit and Gold Visa Credit cards.

There is only one kind of Debit card anyway, so that's not a problem. It says on the website that it doesn't work with Business and Corporate cards, but you probably wouldn't expect that anyway.

There are some more 'exotic' CC products such as Click and be but there's nothing on the AIB website to suggest they don't work.

It accepted my Click card, but I apparently have to ring AIB to verify, which i haven't bothered doing yet.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    It accepted my Click card, but I apparently have to ring AIB to verify, which i haven't bothered doing yet.
    When I tried to add my Debit card the first time it asked me to ring, which I did but gave up waiting. The next time I tried it only gave the option of a text which worked.

Do you have a mobile phone number associated with the card? I should also add that even if you have a phone number associated with your AIB account that doesn't carry over to the credit cards, you have to ring Card Services on 01 269 5022 to confirm what number, if any, they have on file for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

So has anyone actually used it for a purchase over €30 yet? It could be useful to create a sticky for retailers that support this.
    Eurospar and SuperValue shops will allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

When I tried to add my Debit card the first time it asked me to ring, which I did but gave up waiting. The next time I tried it only gave the option of a text which worked.

Do you have a mobile phone number associated with the card? I should also add that even if you have a phone number associated with your AIB account that doesn't carry over to the credit cards, you have to ring Card Services on 01 269 5022 to confirm what number, if any, they have on file for you.

tried again and was able to verify by text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Got setup on my Nexus 6P no problem. Worked flawlessly in Costa earlier this morning and everyone was interested and downloading the Android Pay app.

I'd say it'll take off very rapidly. AIB in particular is a great launch platform as they're still the largest supplier of debit cards in Ireland.

Apple is going to lose sales by not enabling Apple Pay here.

• Advertisement

You'll find that when Apple push it, all the banks will be on board. This country is basically an Apple fan club.

AIB pushed this one pretty hard. They were helping people set it up in my local branch this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Used Pay in Dealz, the look of amazement on yer ones face was priceless haha!:pac: Used it 3 times and it's worked perfect.

Anyone who's gone to one of those 1c coffee shops what's that like? Not a big coffee drinker so I am clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Used Pay in Dealz, the look of amazement on yer ones face was priceless haha!:pac: Used it 3 times and it's worked perfect.

Anyone who's gone to one of those 1c coffee shops what's that like? Not a big coffee drinker so I am clueless.

Legit Coffee was pretty good.

I was actually recommended it as a coffee place a few weeks ago but only went in for the first time yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Are people really finding no resistance at all to this? The one thing that would put me off using it is that I'm the type of person that would never spend a voucher/return an item/question a price for fear of a till person causing a scene and being mortified with a queue tutting behind you. I really thought shops would make this as difficult as possible, at least until apple pay comes along, and I'd find myself bottling using the phone at the last minute.

Most places have contactless now. It's just the same as that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'm was on hold with AIB... when I installed the app it proceeded to call AIB to veify my card. I pressed 4, 4. The whole process took 15 min. Did everyone else go through this?

I've only used it once, but the young girl in Maxizoo was "like, wow, I'll have to tell my boyfriend about this!". Maybe if you got an older less tech savvy till assistant...

Sniipe wrote: »
    I'm on hold with AIB... when I installed the app it proceeded to call AIB to veify my card. I pressed 4, 4 and have been on hold for 7 min so far. Did everyone else go through this?
    Hang up and try the verification again. Same thing happened with me and the second time it gave me the option of a text instead. I've no idea why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Yeah but is there any bother getting them to accept a phone over a card? I know it'll work but if they won't give you the terminal or let you touch the phone on it then you're beat.

Granted I've only used it three times but when I did the person at the checkout was always really amazed. Asking how did I get that, who supports it, and most importantly how do *they* get that. I've yet to meet resistance and I don't think I will either. It's cheaper fees for them too to process the transaction as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

When I set it up, I did my credit card first, then my debit card, but it had the credit card set as the "default" card. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to change it. Long press on a card, and then while holding and dragging you can move them around to put your preferred card on top of the list to be the default.

It made me set up a pin on my phone (or other security method) when I installed. For purchases over €30 where you need to unlock the phone, I'm not sure how much faster/better this will be than just using the card to start with.

Going to try it in my local shop in about an hour.

Thoie wrote: »
    It made me set up a pin on my phone (or other security method) when I installed. For purchases over €30 where you need to unlock the phone, I'm not sure how much faster/better this will be than just using the card to start with.
    I have my phone set to be unlocked when paired with my smart watch so I don't have that problem, but I still reckon it could be slightly faster depending on where you keep your cards and how long it takes to get it out of your wallet or whatever versus taking your phone out of your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I have my phone set to be unlocked when paired with my smart watch so I don't have that problem, but I still reckon it could be slightly faster depending on where you keep your cards and how long it takes to get it out of your wallet or whatever versus taking your phone out of your pocket.

My cards live in my phone case, which is in my pocket, if I have pockets, or my handbag otherwise :)

Which leads me to wonder what will happen when I tap - if the phone and cards are in the same case, which will the machine pick up? Usually when tapping the card I take it out of the case out of habit. I'll find out soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

will it work on custom rom, running CM13 on my Moto g., rooted, unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

stanley1 wrote: »
    will it work on custom rom, running CM13 on my Moto g., rooted, unlocked.

No it will not work on rooted phones.

Can a mod include that in thread title or the op please.

No resistance mostly people seem aware of it from the news and are all keen to try it and asking me what you have to download.

I've probably caused a ton of people to set it up.

Thoie wrote: »
    My cards live in my phone case, which is in my pocket, if I have pockets, or my handbag otherwise :)

Which leads me to wonder what will happen when I tap - if the phone and cards are in the same case, which will the machine pick up? Usually when tapping the card I take it out of the case out of habit. I'll find out soon!

It could just pick up whatever responds first.

Re: AIB registration

If you've an invalid old mobile number or an incorrectly entered one on file it will be an issue. best in mind that AIB now use your mobile number to do verified by visa online and for fraud alerts too so it's important to have it correct anyway.

Call them on the 01 number the Android Pay App links you to. They're very well setup to support you setting up and can activate the app.

Just make sure you actually know what your old mobile number was though or they'll get very suspicious!!

• Advertisement

If you've an invalid old mobile number or an incorrectly entered one on file it will be an issue. best in mind that AIB now use your mobile number to do verified by visa online and for fraud alerts too so it's important to have it correct anyway.
    Also note that the one AIB have for you for that purpose may not be the same one that they have for your credit card. I got caught by that one.

Just used it in Aldi, again for under €30, no bother. This despite me asking the store manager and him umming and awwing and saying that head office hadn't told him about it etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you just have to say you're paying by contactless and then beep the phone. if they ask wtf you just did say you had the card in your hand as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So to clarify, any contactless terminal should work, the defined list as advised by Google just allows payments of over €30?

dulpit wrote: »
    So to clarify, any contactless terminal should work, the defined list as advised by Google just allows payments of over €30?

Any terminal that displays the EMV contactless symbol should work.

Universal_Contactless_Card_Symbol.svg

And it's nothing really new, I'm paying with my Phone since month and it's routine these days.

Some terminals might have problems reading the NFC, so best you find out where your NFC chip is located. Try your leapcard and their app, that will show you how best to hold your device over the reader. Otherwise after a couple of times you find it out and get practice.

Some terminals and shops will also allow to spend over 30€ via this method but not all due, so for that it's trial and error.

Why would there be resistance, it's cheaper for the shop to accept NFC payments than chip&pin which you otherwise would do (giving that it's limited to 2 banks that is what the most of the others card transactions are).

And what has Apple Pay to do with it, sure the Irish like to worship at the temple of Apple but all of these NFC wallets are using the same technology behind it, it's just different branding and different requirements for the user.

For a shop it does not matter if you take out your NFC card or phone (what ever OS), all that matters is that the payment token is read and their get an "approved" on their screen. It's cheaper for them too.

• Advertisement

How is it cheaper for the merchants?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tewson

Yeah but is there any bother getting them to accept a phone over a card? I know it'll work but if they won't give you the terminal or let you touch the phone on it then you're beat.

Just got refused when I asked to pay with my phone in a noodle bar. Luckily I already had my card in the other hand just in case. They didn't let me tap my card myself either. I can imagine it'd take a while before people would trust a new method of payment.

How is it cheaper for the merchants?

Contactless Payments are charged less than a chip&pin transaction, at least if they have a good merchant agreement.

Contactless Payments are charged less than a chip&pin transaction, at least if they have a good merchant agreement.
    Ah, sorry, I thought you were saying it was cheaper for them than normal contactless payments with a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

tewson wrote: »
    Just got refused when I asked to pay with my phone in a noodle bar. Luckily I already had my card in the other hand just in case. They didn't let me tap my card myself either. I can imagine it'd take a while before people would trust a new method of payment.

you shouldnt ever hand over your card/phone to anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement