Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

tewson wrote: »
    Just got refused when I asked to pay with my phone in a noodle bar. Luckily I already had my card in the other hand just in case. They didn't let me tap my card myself either. I can imagine it'd take a while before people would trust a new method of payment.

Report them to mastercard or visa (depending on your card), the only way they learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

What app (over other options) would people recommend for using non aib/kbc cards, n26 in particular?

cefh17 wrote: »
    What app (over other options) would people recommend for using non aib/kbc cards, n26 in particular?

Boon.
    • German Provider Wirecard
    • Prepaid Wallet type
    • Load via sepa transfer (free) or credit card (1%).
    • Requires PIN to be entered every time in the app when paying.
    • Limits for loading / wallet rather low
    • Currently 5€ welcome with 50€ top up
    • Until 10 December 5% cashback

SEQR
    • Swedish Provider
    • Post Pay Direct Debit
    • Requires opening of app and tapping an icon within the App
    • Amounts spend are deducted via next day SEPA direct debit from your current account.
    • Initial 75€ spending limit, raises quickly after 3 successful direct debits.

LeuPay Wallet
    • Maltese Bank SATA via an English e-money license and Bulgarian technology
    • Prepaid Wallet type
    • Load via sepa transfer (free) or credit card (fee's apply).
    • Real Tap & Pay, app does not even need to be open
    • PIN for amounts over 30€
    • Also provides virtual mastercard for access to the same wallet for free and for 5€ a plastic mastercard

LeuPay is the best for easy tap&pay and the added virtual/plastic mastercard together with an excellent spending history display (which includes store logos) make it an overall great product.

Boon. is the easiest as it's Wirecard and they have loads of experience in it but the transaction history display is poor. However right now with the 5% cashback I'm using it as my main spending tool.

SEQR is nice because it's post pay, but it requires effort to pay with it.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Thanks for your helpful advise yggr, as always :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Any terminal that displays the EMV contactless symbol should work.

Universal_Contactless_Card_Symbol.svg

And it's nothing really new, I'm paying with my Phone since month and it's routine these days.

Some terminals might have problems reading the NFC, so best you find out where your NFC chip is located. Try your leapcard and their app, that will show you how best to hold your device over the reader. Otherwise after a couple of times you find it out and get practice.

Some terminals and shops will also allow to spend over 30€ via this method but not all due, so for that it's trial and error.
    Not necessarily. It'll depend on what versions of Paypass and Paywave that the merchants terminal is configured with. Older versions of these will accept card CTLS transactions but won't allow Android or Apple pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I set this up on my phone yesterday and have made one transaction successfully. My observations:

1. I have a rooted galaxy S7 so I'm not sure why it worked for me when it hasn't worked on rooted phones for others.

2. The Tesco self-service tills are a handy place to figure out how to make a payment if you haven't done this before. Must have spent a good 20 seconds waving my phone near the terminal before it finally worked when I touched it with the back of the phone.

3. This will work best at those terminals permanently fixed at the customer side of the counter. Handing your phone to a cashier doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

polaris68 wrote: »

3. This will work best at those terminals permanently fixed at the customer side of the counter. Handing your phone to a cashier doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

Regardless of whether I'm paying with chip and pin, or card tap, or phone tap, unless it's some kind of emergency I'll walk away from anywhere that doesn't give me the terminal, and expects me to hand over my card. It's 2016. No-one touches my card except me unless I have some reason for wanting you to touch my card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

polaris68 wrote: »

1. I have a rooted galaxy S7 so I'm not sure why it worked for me when it hasn't worked on rooted phones for others.

1: Can confirm the S7 Edge also has NFC sweet spot on the back, in the middle.

2: The lad in the coffee shopped picked up the pretty big till machine he had and lifted it around to me. Kinda funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Theres no reason for someone to take your card or phone off you for contactless. Do they ask for your pin if you use the chip&pin method? Its the same terminal!

• Advertisement

The Mig wrote: »
    Not necessarily. It'll depend on what versions of Paypass and Paywave that the merchants terminal is configured with. Older versions of these will accept card CTLS transactions but won't allow Android or Apple pay.

I stand corrected, did not know there still were those old terminals around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

There weren't very many older terminals used here as contactless launched late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Out of curiosity I tried paying for the AIB promo'd 1c coffee with my KBC card as I've both and it worked perfectly in case anyone is wondering. The person at the till just said Oooh Android Pay! And there was no issues. The cup even has an AIB/Android Pay sticker on it which is a cute touch. It's strange to say but I've had a ball spending a fortune today paying via Android Pay, it's just really cool. It's the future I tells ya!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Tried it for the first time today at a McDonalds drive thru. Was using a Samsung S6 with an AIB Click credit card. Had set up Android pay with no hassle so assumed that it would be no problem to use. Asked cashier at the drive thru if I could pay using phone. He was a bit taken back...his first time apparently......and of course it didn't work......when I swiped the phone the terminal said that I needed to insert the credit card. The cashier said that it seemed to be some sort of security check by AIB.....

Anyone else have this issue? Is it a one off? Was going to call the bank in the morning to see if there's anything amiss etc.

Thx.

D.

Decoda wrote: »
    Tried it for the first time today at a McDonalds drive thru. Was using a Samsung S6 with an AIB Click credit card. Had set up Android pay with no hassle so assumed that it would be no problem to use. Asked cashier at the drive thru if I could pay using phone. He was a bit taken back...his first time apparently......and of course it didn't work......when I swiped the phone the terminal said that I needed to insert the credit card. The cashier said that it seemed to be some sort of security check by AIB.....

Anyone else have this issue? Is it a one off? Was going to call the bank in the morning to see if there's anything amiss etc.

Thx.

D.

Happened to me today too but in Dealz. I just pressed X/cancel on terminal, tried it again and it worked fine.

So, I'm an idiot. I'm sharing my idiocy here in the hopes it will save someone else.

Was doing something last night that involved having to frequently check my phone, and was getting irritated with having to keep entering a pin each time.
    So I switched off the lock screen security. An error message popped up along the lines of "encrypted data will be erased", and I tapped OK before thinking about it.

Obviously all card information is now erased, and I have to go through the card set up again.

Edit: Just set up both cards again in under 2 minutes. Unlike yesterday, the verification numbers came through within under 30 seconds each time, so that's definitely an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thoie wrote: »
    So, I'm an idiot. I'm sharing my idiocy here in the hopes it will save someone else.

Was doing something last night that involved having to frequently check my phone, and was getting irritated with having to keep entering a pin each time.
    So I switched off the lock screen security. An error message popped up along the lines of "encrypted data will be erased", and I tapped OK before thinking about it.

Obviously all card information is now erased, and I have to go through the card set up again.

Edit: Just set up both cards again in under 2 minutes. Unlike yesterday, the verification numbers came through within under 30 seconds each time, so that's definitely an improvement.

Yeah I have the "Smart Unlock" app that unlocks my phone automatically in certain places - Android Pay didn't like this and erased my card. TBH Smart Unlock is really handy, and Android Pay doesn't offer much advantage of using a contactless card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

loyatemu wrote: »
    Yeah I have the "Smart Unlock" app that unlocks my phone automatically in certain places - Android Pay didn't like this and erased my card. TBH Smart Unlock is really handy, and Android Pay doesn't offer much advantage of using a contactless card.

I have a Mi Band that keeps the phoen unlocked when it is near the phone

No issues with it so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I have a Mi Band that keeps the phoen unlocked when it is near the phone

No issues with it so far

I think that uses standard Android functionality for "Smart Unlock". You can also enable a location based smart unlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jaredGalen

I think that uses standard Android functionality for "Smart Unlock". You can also enable a location based smart unlock.

I have location based unlock on my Oneplus 3 enabled so it is unlocked when I'm home. All is working with me. I guess the in built Android security measures are considered okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Stupid question lads and I'm sure it has already been answered but do I have to actually unlock the phone to pay or just wake the device up so the lock screen is visible?

Brego888 wrote: »
    Stupid question lads and I'm sure it has already been answered but do I have to actually unlock the phone to pay or just wake the device up so the lock screen is visible?

Wake the phone for anything under 30 euro. The phone will vibrate when it gets a connection to the pay device.

If you tap the menu dots at the top right in the android pay app then go to how to pay, it will show you the location of the NFC antenna on Nexus phones anyway.

If you tap the menu dots at the top right in the android pay app then go to how to pay, it will show you the location of the NFC antenna on Nexus phones anyway.

I don't see that option on my Nexus 6p but I have confirmed that the nfc chip is located on the top, part of the glass censor bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have my Nexus5 set up with the Smart Unlock feature for my watch, my car and also location based for my house, and have no problems with Android Pay as a result whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can anyone tell me what are the charges for this?

Bank charges?

and

Android Pay charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Can anyone tell me what are the charges for this?

Bank charges?

and

Android Pay charges?

AIB and KBC aren't charging anything extra on top of their regular contactless charges, which is potentially 0 depending on how you use your account.

This is really terrible, I'm buying things just for the novelty of it!

Tried to use it in a Topaz earlier and the cashier thought I was playing a game. Didn't work there but my card didn't work either so the terminal must have been malfunctioning.

I don't see that option on my Nexus 6p but I have confirmed that the nfc chip is located on the top, part of the glass censor bar.
    Works on my Nexus 5. Confirms that the NFC chip is slap bang in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭msmx5

Alun wrote: »
    When I tried to add my Debit card the first time it asked me to ring, which I did but gave up waiting. The next time I tried it only gave the option of a text which worked..

Signup: seamlessly smooth!
    Likewise when I tried to add my AIB credit card it asked me to phone to confirm, which I did NOT do as I couldn't take a call where I was. I tried again a few seconds later and was sent a text immediately - very smooth and seamless. The app even has the correct image of my credit card - nice touch.

Payment experiences: Mixed
    1. Lidl: :mad: Wasn't accepted / didn't even register on app or terminal for purchase of approx €80 (nothing displayed on phone or terminal)
    2. Aldi: :) worked a treat for a €14 purchase
    3. Canteen:mad: (with AIB contactless processing terminal): Wasn't accepted / didn't even register for purchase < €10. I tried a good few times, unlocking phone and opening app as well as taking phone out of case (there was no queue at the till so there was not embarrassment or rush! :)) but nothing helped - I suspect the terminal may have needed an update?!

Smart Lock : Works
    Using built in smart lock/unlock for my Bluetooth Headset doesn't have an adverse affect on Android Pay

Device: Sony Xperia Z2 (with Marshmallow Android 6.0.1)

Tried it for the first time today at local Londis. Tapped twice and nothing happened. As it was a busy time I just pulled out and tapped my card instead.

Cashier wasn't surprised by using my phone and tried to help, but there was too much of a queue to mess around with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Anybody know what's the reason for the inconsistency with loyalty cards. I was able to add my Topaz and SuperValu cards with a simple barcode scan. But when I tried to add my Tesco Clubcard it was looking for me to manually enter my Member ID. And I don't see any way to delete a card once added, only to edit it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Conba wrote: »
    Anybody know what's the reason for the inconsistency with loyalty cards. I was able to add my Topaz and SuperValu cards with a simple barcode scan. But when I tried to add my Tesco Clubcard it was looking for me to manually enter my Member ID. And I don't see any way to delete a card once added, only to edit it?

if you tap into the loyalty card and scroll to the bottom you should see "remove loyalty program" in red and that deletes it (on a galaxy s6 anyways)

As regards the tesco clubcard it asked me to enter it aswell and when you do it only displays the number which is useless, so id be interested in knowing why also.

I don't know .. I added my Applegreen one with a scan which worked fine, for two others (Boots and Tesco) it didn't even ask me to scan and to just enter the number, and for Brown Thomas (yes, I know!) it asked me to scan the barcode but there wasn't one to scan!!

I can see the point of the Applegreen one, you can presumably open it up and hold it up in front of the scanner they have, but I don't know what the point is of just storing the number, for the others.

In an ideal world, the terminal would just scan the phone for any valid loyalty cards and add any points automatically, but I'm guessing that's not the way it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Hubby has been using it AIB on Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 the last few days, no issues. I've just set mine up on Oneplus 3T now so I'll have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

"if you tap into the loyalty card and scroll to the bottom you should see "remove loyalty program" in red and that deletes it"

Ah, crikey, that simple! :D

"I can see the point of the Applegreen one, you can presumably open it up and hold it up in front of the scanner they have"

Yeah, I held up the Topaz QR code in a station yesterday and it worked fine. Your man at the counter didn't bat an eyelid which was very disappointing :rolleyes:

"if you tap into the loyalty card and scroll to the bottom you should see "remove loyalty program" in red and that deletes it"

Ah, crikey, that simple! :D

"I can see the point of the Applegreen one, you can presumably open it up and hold it up in front of the scanner they have"

Yeah, I held up the Topaz QR code in a station yesterday and it worked fine. Your man at the counter didn't bat an eyelid which was very disappointing :rolleyes:

Im guessing because he is probably used to people holding up their phones... you can get your Topaz loyalty QR code in the topaz app and that displays it for scanning also, so he has probably seen that a thousand times so didnt even look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Alun wrote: »
    I don't know .. I added my Applegreen one with a scan which worked fine, for two others (Boots and Tesco) it didn't even ask me to scan and to just enter the number, and for Brown Thomas (yes, I know!) it asked me to scan the barcode but there wasn't one to scan!!

I can see the point of the Applegreen one, you can presumably open it up and hold it up in front of the scanner they have, but I don't know what the point is of just storing the number, for the others.

In an ideal world, the terminal would just scan the phone for any valid loyalty cards and add any points automatically, but I'm guessing that's not the way it works.

I wouldn't be adding my Supervalu loyalty tag to Android Pay because the cashier has to scan it over their barcode reader (built in to the desk) and that would involve me handing over my phone. For these kinds of tags it still just seems easier to have the tag on your keys rather than unlocking your phone, opening an app, scrolling etc

Paid for a wrap earlier with my phone and it was a pleasant experience, certainly the way to go. I already use contactless anywhere I can in order to avoid putting in the pin so this is just a natural extension.

But definitely there's the element of "hope I don't look like an eejit" which I remember from the early days of contactless card payments. After a few months it'll be no big deal and everyone with an iPhone will be super-jelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

What a great service to have! No problem setting up Nexus 5X / AIB Platinum Credit Card. Worked perfect yesterday in a fast food place and today on a €60 transaction in Boots with phone unlocked. I wonder will leap card ever be able to go on phones?

g0g wrote: »
    What a great service to have! No problem setting up Nexus 5X / AIB Platinum Credit Card. Worked perfect yesterday in a fast food place and today on a €60 transaction in Boots with phone unlocked. I wonder will leap card ever be able to go on phones?

you can top up your leap card using NFC with android phones so maybe they will integrate it in future?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be adding my Supervalu loyalty tag to Android Pay because the cashier has to scan it over their barcode reader (built in to the desk) and that would involve me handing over my phone. For these kinds of tags it still just seems easier to have the tag on your keys rather than unlocking your phone, opening an app, scrolling etc

Paid for a wrap earlier with my phone and it was a pleasant experience, certainly the way to go. I already use contactless anywhere I can in order to avoid putting in the pin so this is just a natural extension.

But definitely there's the element of "hope I don't look like an eejit" which I remember from the early days of contactless card payments. After a few months it'll be no big deal and everyone with an iPhone will be super-jelly.

My SuperValu store now has little bar code readers pointing towards the customers specifically for reading phones and tags. No need to hand anything over to anyone. seems they're upgrading everything.

My SuperValu store now has little bar code readers pointing towards the customers specifically for reading phones and tags. No need to hand anything over to anyone. seems they're upgrading everything.

that is because they have now their own app which not only displays your card's bar code but also money back voucher, money off voucher and all sorts of offers.

They are going to use this more and more as they try to get people to stop using the paper vouchers.

Added advantage is that you can use your money off vouchers electronically with them and the paper version with other stores if you want.

I wish there was way to put nickname on each card. Not a common issue I'm sure but I have a few different cards,personal debit cards,card from shared account etc . it would be handy to be able to nickname them

NikoTopps wrote: »
    I wish there was way to put nickname on each card. Not a common issue I'm sure but I have a few different cards,personal debit cards,card from shared account etc . it would be handy to be able to nickname them

Feed it back via the app. Tap the menu dots on top right and send feedback.

I'll do the same so they get a few reports.

Feed it back via the app. Tap the menu dots on top right and send feedback.

I'll do the same so they get a few reports.

Never notice that option before,, D'oh! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, I have done it.

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Never notice that option before,, D'oh! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, I have done it.

Yeah nearly all of the recent versions of Google's android apps have a feedback option in the menu or the help menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

All of SuperValu will be getting these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

irishgeo wrote: »
    All of SuperValu will be getting these.

That's good news, my local one doesn't even have contactless card readers except on some of the express checkouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

my experiences so far:

1. Tried to use it to pay for €20 in O'Briens but it didn't work, I may not have held the phone up long enough
    2. Tried to use it in Eason's, didn't work. The guy said their system had not been upgraded(?). My receipt after paying by contactless card said "offline transaction" so maybe this was the reason
    3. Tried it in Aldi, finally worked. Paid an €80 bill with contactless. ALthough my phone was unlocked it made me swipe my pattern to approve it
    4. Tried it in Smyth's for €33. Their machine actually had an Android Pay icon on it. Didn't work as machine must not give contactless option over €30 (it only said to insert card)
    5. Tried in fishmonger's. Looked as if it was going through, it opened the app and selected my default card but the terminal said something like "undefined card"

So 1/5 for me so far, not as smooth as I'd like but I'd say once most card readers are updated it will improve

• Advertisement

So far so good but I've only used it in coffee shops.

I used it to pay for parking at a machine that takes contactless too - worked fine.

Advertisement