Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia shield portable/tablet

Options
  • 19-09-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

My son is thinking of replacing his iPad mini and ps vita with one of the above. Is he mad? I'm clueless on these. Are they hard come by second hand? Any advice or help you could give would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

Thank you so much OSI. I'll take a look on the android devices thread now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Heres another idea for your son to replace is this with. A Microsoft Surface Pro.

There a bit more costly but there a fantastic Tablet/computer.

I have one myself and i am shocked how much i use it to be fair it runs the full version of windows 10 so he can do proper work on it for school then you can play games on it and you can plug in a PS4 Controller or Xbox one Controller on it and then you can use it as a tablet, also has a kickstand on the back so you can put it on table or something and sit back and watch netflix on it. Anyone who as used my surface pro has wonted one as there just that good.

I was playing Borderlands 1 no problem on low settings on the tablet with my Xbox one controller plunged into it. I used to use my vita quite a lot myself but since i got my surface pro 2 a few months ago i have not used it all. It can run steam and play indie games no problem then you have the Microsoft app store and there is plenty of good games in that as well.

I got my Surface Pro 2 2nd hand on eBay with the keyboard cover and the surface pen for like 330 euros a few months ago and to me it has been one of the best bargains i have ever got. But before that i bought a Shield and i didnt like it at all and felt it wasn't worth over 300 euros with the controller and i used it for about a day before i sent it back to Amazon for a Refund and bought the Surface Pro 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

Thank you Trusted Apple I will show your post to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

There a bit more costly but there a fantastic Tablet/computer..

Can someone translate this into English for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

quarryman wrote: »
    Can someone translate this into English for me?

Pedantic -

pe•dan•tic(pəˈdæn tɪk)
    or pe•dan′ti•cal,

adj.
    1. ostentatious in one's learning. 2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Heres another idea for your son to replace is this with. A Microsoft Surface Pro.

There a bit more costly but there a fantastic Tablet/computer.

I have one myself and i am shocked how much i use it to be fair it runs the full version of windows 10 so he can do proper work on it for school then you can play games on it and you can plug in a PS4 Controller or Xbox one Controller on it and then you can use it as a tablet, also has a kickstand on the back so you can put it on table or something and sit back and watch netflix on it. Anyone who as used my surface pro has wonted one as there just that good.

I was playing Borderlands 1 no problem on low settings on the tablet with my Xbox one controller plunged into it. I used to use my vita quite a lot myself but since i got my surface pro 2 a few months ago i have not used it all. It can run steam and play indie games no problem then you have the Microsoft app store and there is plenty of good games in that as well.

I got my Surface Pro 2 2nd hand on eBay with the keyboard cover and the surface pen for like 330 euros a few months ago and to me it has been one of the best bargains i have ever got. But before that i bought a Shield and i didnt like it at all and felt it wasn't worth over 300 euros with the controller and i used it for about a day before i sent it back to Amazon for a Refund and bought the Surface Pro 2.

Actually working my way through Borderlands 2 at the moment.

I have a Nexus 9, but the reality is that the games I want to play at PC titles, not android.

I'll be looking closely at something like this the next time I upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've got the Shield Tablet and I love it, its a great bit of kit and the game streaming works brilliantly. That said if I were buying a new Tablet today, I think I'd go for a Surface Pro too. There's just so much versatility to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lads know it's an old thread but the reviews are pushing me to the K1 tablet (not the one with the battery problem).
    It's for the kids watching cartoons mainly when travelling but wouldn't mind the gaming features especially at that price.

Are you all still using it? Is it worth the 199 and I seen the controller on sale for 20 euro today. Thinking of chancing it, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Lads know it's an old thread but the reviews are pushing me to the K1 tablet (not the one with the battery problem).
    It's for the kids watching cartoons mainly when travelling but wouldn't mind the gaming features especially at that price.

Are you all still using it? Is it worth the 199 and I seen the controller on sale for 20 euro today. Thinking of chancing it, what do you think?

The K1 is rarer than gold hens teeth at the moment as nowhere online seems to have any in stock. There are rumors (based on FCC applications) of a new model coming out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I bought a K1 about 6 months ago,mostly used for movies/netflix. Very happy with it,good spec for the price and the 1080p display is really nice at 8". Cant really speak for the gaming aspect as its not what ive used it for so far. Getting the controller for €20 is a very good price,its normally a lot closer to €50.

I bought mine from komplett,also picked up the official cover and the world charging kit so i can bring it when i travel. Worked out about €250. Delivery took 2 weeks as i was awaiting stock on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the sound like I find a lot of tablets only Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There is no such thing as a tablet with good sound.

It's physically impossible.
    Just get a little portable speaker or headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ye its not going to blow you away,it could definitely do with the max volume being a bit higher bit its quite clear all the way to its full volume. Speakers are front facing which is a plus. Using headphones would probably be the best option to get the most from it sound wise. Ive a 2.1 set of speakers i use with it sometimes too,which are actually great.

Advertisement