Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega 32x Colour issues

• 19-09-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. I was wondering if another Sega 32x owner might be able to help me? I bought a 32x from USA and did the basic region mod. Problem was that composite video to my RCA->VGA adapter was black and white. SO I bought an RGB cable - but my monitors scart didn't display image. SO I stuck it on a Toshiba CRT and it was working, displayed ok, but the colour was all washed out. Basically, in Virtua Racing, the bright red cars are brown and there is also green and blue on screen, but the colours are pulled down by "something". Same colours display on composite and RGB, so it is not an RGB channel from the connector per se.

I found a thread online about modifying the Genesis 2 (same as 32x) video connector to switch from CSYNC, so I did that and the image on screen was like an RGB wireframe - i.e. just a staticy RGB outline of the objects on screen. So I fixed the trace I had cut and put it back the way it was. Colour is all washed out again.

Slightly miffed that I butchered my 32x for nothing, but I was just wondering if anyone could help me understand why the colour is washed out on both rgb and composite? I can't find any information about this anywhere.

Megadrive games running through the 32x are also washed out, but I tested the rgb cable on my megadrive 2 and it is fine.

The only question mark I still have cabling-wise is the interconnect, but I did buy it from a Retro cable shop, so I was sort of hoping to avoid any problems on that front.

Any one any idea what is wrong? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Thats a known fault in the 32x,some of them just go that way,i have yet to hear of a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 traxxion

Hmmmm... thanks for the heads up. It really looks like the colour balance, or the amount of drive is wrong. Might look into ways of boosting the output and see what results I get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Perhaps replacing the capacitors might help?

Advertisement