Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite player (not from team you support)

• 19-09-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So who is your favourite player, who doesn't play for your team and why?
    We all have players we really admire and would love to see move to the club we support.
    So who does it for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can I name more the 1? ;)

Bar the obvious 2, I would pick Toni Kroos, with Fabregas close 2nd. Big fan of good passers with wide range of passing and creativity. Also good both defending and attacking.

Sorry can't reduce it to 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Can I name more the 1? ;)

Bar the obvious 2, I would pick Toni Kroos, with Fabregas close 2nd. Big fan of good passers with wide range of passing and creavity. Also good both defending and attacking.

Sorry can't reduce it to 1 :)

I will allow upto a maximum of 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Do they have to be current? The Scouse Costa :pac: Anyone who remembers him will know the reason why.

_65885650_ianmarshall.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Costa..............................................................Ill get my coat.

Sticking with the PL... Sanchez and Costa

Why? Sanchez is a supreme talent and a match winner. Serious work rate too.

Costa, win at all costs. Never gives up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Current players: Xabi Alonso, Hugo Lloris, Mathieu Valbuena.

Past players: Pavel Nedved, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Didier Deschamps.

Just always admired the way they play, not necessarily the absolute best around but somewhat unique technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Keep it to current players for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Luis Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Messi, doesnt need to be explained.

Sanchez, top talent and was a bargain compared to other players that have come to the league.

Aguero, was really annoyed we missed out on him a few years ago. Excellent CF and best in the league on his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hard not to admire Augero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Stevie Gerrard, Ronaldo, Tevez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Muller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ronaldo - bring him back
    Thiago Silva - Best CB in the world
    Ibra - cos he's awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

David Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I've got a few.

Mesut Ozil- a horribly misunderstood player in certain quarters. He's a genius, an absolute artist on the bench, probably right up there with Thomas Muller as the most clever footballer around. Some of his qualities are just too subtle for some who simply accuse him is laziness. Also he deserves credit for trying his best to adapt to the English game, he noticeably bulked up over the summer and he is not so easily shoved off the ball anymore.

Yaya Toure- the man is incredible. Very few players are quite as rounded as Yaya Toure is. He can do everything, he's a world class holding midfield player, he's a fearsome box to box midfielder and he's a tank of a number 10 who can change a game when he's moved higher up the pitch, he's even played as a centre back in a Champions League final. A crazy mix of raw physicality and finesse.

Thiago Alcantara- ok some people won't like this one because he is ex Barcelona but he's a player I'd go out of my way to watch and is a player I wish the club would sign (though I don't see why he'd ever want to return given how he was treated). He's just incredible. I've said it before but he's the kind of player you could watch knock the ball around in a phonebooth for 90 minutes and come away enthused about what you've just seen.

Kaka- I suppose this one is a bit outdated but I used to love watching Kaka play, in his pomp he was something else entirely.

Klose- I have an inherent love of Miroslav Klose

A few players based on recent form or just a liking of a player for whatever reason I'd say have been Oliver Torres, Douglas Costa, David Alaba, Mkhitaryan, Griezmann, Isco, Soldado, Pastore, Bacca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Xavi, the greatest ever at what he does (I say this as a Man Utd fan whose favourite player for years was Scholes) and probably a top 10-20 player of all time, in any position. Also a complete class act and model professional.

Second is Muller, really began to notice him in 2010 (his assist again England was the most underrated of the tournament) and just can never get enough of the guy.

Third, probably Lampard. Gerrard was more talented, but Lampard had the better career for me. I can't think of a better example to youngsters for fulfilling your potential that has been around in a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

David Silva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Luis Suarez of course :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've always enjoyed watching Luka Modric pulling the strings in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dribblers are my favourites. So Messi,Hazard are 2 of my favourites. Suarez too & Mahrez this season has been a joy to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

David Alaba. What a talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Wayne Rooney, Luis Suarez and Sergio Aguero. Three class players who would instantly improve Arsenal and bring us to the next level. Rooney, not so much now though, but more when he was a few years younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Gareth Bale and Luka Modric for me. I'm a Spurs fan though so if I've to pick someone else it has to be David Silva. Arjen Robben in full flow would be a close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Suarez and Silva probably. Both fantastic to watch for entirely different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Xabi Alonso, Luis Suarez and Diego Godin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Nothing in the current crop that really excites me like Ronaldinho, Adriano and Maldini did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Nothing in the current crop that really excites me like Ronaldinho, Adriano and Maldini did.
    Yeah Ronaldinho was the one IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

One player ya saps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Zlatan. Because he is zlatan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Buffon. If only Barcelona had offered him truckloads of money at the start of the century.

Truckloads of money they didn't have but still threw endless piles away on Kluivert and Rustu and Mendieta and Riquelme and Gerard.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Of current Premiership players- Yannick Bolaise. He has a way of running with the ball that's both extremely direct and completely unpredictable seat of the pants stuff. You'll sometimes see defenders backing away - because they have no idea what direction he might suddenly take off in, and I think he scarcely knows himself. Very enjoyable to watch.

I would have said Suarez before that. Odious and all that he was, he was the pre-eminent genius in the league for a few seasons, capable of doing things that no-one else could. And even the bad stuff was so typically outlandish it used to give me a sense of entertained glee. A cartoon bad guy with outrageous ability.

Even had a grudging admiration, as an Arsenal fan, for RvP during the year he pretty much singlehandly won the title for United. He was just a brilliant football player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Pirlo.

No Pirlo. No Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Robben
    Muller
    Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In the Premier league it has to be David Silva for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Has to be Gareth Bale for me. Just love how he went from being nearly rejected as a LB at Spurs to one of the best players out there. (I know there are plenty better than him) He also seems like a nice guy and plays for Wales with so much pride and passion too. Wish he was Irish!

For playing ability no one compared to Bergkamp for me. I used to be a huge United fan in my youth (couldn't care less now) and hated arsenal but I couldn't but love him as a player. His goal against Newcastle still ranks for me as the best goal I've ever seen (in terms of no one has ever repeated it and the amazing skill it took) and his goal against Argentina in France 98 in the last minute are still engrained in my memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Luis Suarez without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Berbatov. Oozed class and never got out of first gear. Brilliant.

Silva. There's a reason he's called the magician!

Bentner. Yeah, I can't explain it and won't. Just like him.

Honourable mentions to Dzeko, Soldado, Griezmann...loads. I'm trying to think of defenders but it's hard, maybe Mert? I quite like Pirlo. I love Altidore. What a guy. Damn, there are so many!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Arghus wrote: »
    completely unpredictable seat of the pants stuff.

Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

David Villa.(if MLS still counts as current)
    Loved that Valencia side he played in, plus he won me a few bob in bets over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Diego Costa. He is the only player in the EPL that makes me want to tune in just to see.

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Zlatan Ibrahimovic because he can do unique things that no other player can.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Jack Butland

gerard deulofeu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah Ronaldinho was the one IMO.

Twice world player of the year, won everything in the game, and most people believe he wasted his talent. Says how good was really, and could have been.

From current players I'd go with Aguero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Michael Ballack.

His 2001-2002 season was the greatest season ever from a midfielder.

He had a unbelievable ability to arrive late in the box and finish from an orthodox midfield position.To drag Bayer Leverkusen and Germany to the brink of winning it all but to then end up with nothing from that season must have been heartbreaking for him and he was robbed for the world player of teh year award in 2002 in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Silva and aguero both a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Suarez just love his energy and skill on the pitch even as a man united fan he's a player for his footballing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's not the player he once was but I have a huge amount of respect for zabaleta. Model pro, embraced the language and city, hard worker and warrior at the back. With all the big names that have come in he's a huge reason why city have won 2 league titles.

Humble and adored at city, I'd love to have had him at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Suarez, Costa and El Haji Diouf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Xabi Alonso

• Advertisement
Advertisement